Rack troubles, 2015 trek fuel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Rack troubles, 2015 trek fuel

Hey all,

I am having some rack issues. When I first got into riding, I was like most people by not trying to make a big investment in case it didn't last. Well, my $700 bike turned into a $3k bike, yet I still have the same cheap $100 bike rack. I finally decided to upgrade, because frankly it made me nervous on any long trips and has already scratched the hell out of my bike.

Fast forward to today, I went to a rack store and started checking them out. They had a lightly used Yakima four bike hitch rack (not sure the exact model) in the back that I got a good deal on. Everything works, in almost new shape.

Long story short, my bike doesn't fit. It's a medium 2015 fuel ex. Stupid me didn't take my bike with to make sure it fits. I called them back, they didn't seem to fond of taking a used item back (the risk you take trying to save money) and basically said and rack like that is pretty similar dimensions and others probably won't fit. So my options are either a tray rack ($550-ouch) or the top tube adapter.

So my real question is, does anyone use these top tube adapters on their expensive bikes? Ive never used one, and just looking online frankly they don't give me much confidence that they are a secure solution.

I'm pretty frustrated, because the whole reason I bought a new rack was to securely transport my bike, and easy of use. Both of which are on shaky ground with this adapter.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I use one. I actually like it. It only touches my bike under the stem, and under my saddle. I put a small piece of foam pipe installation under my stem, so it doesn't leave any marks. Although it's under the stem, wouldn't matter really.

Get a good one. I like the Saris model. But most any brand name will do.

I just can't afford a 1K 4-bike tray rack now, so I'm going to make do with my Thule 4 bike hanging rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I got this one. https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...cc-onlyreviews
    It's rated pretty highly on Amazon and etrailer.

I'm already trying to scheme up some kind of back up in case it fails. If the adapter fails, or my seat post pops out, whatever, just doesn't seem like much room for error.

mtbr member
    Ok so please folks refer to my post in this section : will a dropper post be somehow harmed when hooking a bike under the saddle with an adapter ? From home to trails my drive is about 15 minutes.
    Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Update - I received the top tube adapter and put it to use. It seems to be a fairly sturdy piece. I used it for a 3 hour drive down the interstate at 70 mph without issue. The only thing I would worry about is I have to keep the front wheel strait with a bungee. Not the end of the world, as I would do it anyways to keep the wheels from freewheeling while driving.

Regarding the dropper post, I don't have one, so I can't speak from experience. But I was at a bike shop and asked one of the employees what their opinion was. He said as long as the dropper is fully extended, it should be fine. I don't know what his level of expertise is, so take it with a grain of salt

mtbr member
    Thank you for your feedback. Received today rack and adapter and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. The adpter stops a the bottom of the dropper post and fits there quite securely.

Roadie DNA,mtbike curious.