Rack for Trailer?- Mtbr.com
    May The Force Be With You

Rack for Trailer?

for those with small trailers like the m416, Radar trailers or similar... what are you doing for bike racks? I'm short and trying to keep from having to put the bike on the roof of the FJC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rack for Trailer?-kimg1216.jpg  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi
    '08 Toyota FJ Cruiser / Facebook: NyNomadFJC

because I have the tent opening to the back and it's not elevated I'd have to take the bike(s) off every time I open the tent. I think I'm going to to try this adapter on the front 2in square stock used for the tongue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5OJOCM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

since 4/10/2009
    If you have space over the tongue and between the trailer and your tow vehicle, that area is probably your most viable option.

On the back of the trailer is a fairly sketchy option, anyway. Partly because hitch receivers on trailers are often built too light-duty and because the vast majority of bike racks are not built to be used there.

My trailer doesn't have a long enough tongue length for me to fit my hitch rack between the tow vehicle and the trailer. Even just carrying it folded up for later shuttling, the bike rack will make contact with the tongue tool box if I turn sharply enough. I've managed it, but it reduces my maneuverability significantly.

For now, I just use 1upUSA rooftop carriers for my bikes on the tow vehicle when I pull the trailer. A couple weeks ago, my wife took the trailer out for a weekend by herself, though. She's not strong enough to lift her bike onto the rooftop carrier, and had to shove her bike into the back of the car. And to handle bike transport duties while in camp, she had to put the hitch rack inside the camper for transport. Those options sucked, but they worked.

I need to work out something better for the next time she wants to use the camper by herself. It won't happen often, but it'll happen again eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    If you have space over the tongue and between the trailer and your tow vehicle, that area is probably your most viable option.

On the back of the trailer is a fairly sketchy option, anyway. Partly because hitch receivers on trailers are often built too light-duty and because the vast majority of bike racks are not built to be used there.

My trailer doesn't have a long enough tongue length for me to fit my hitch rack between the tow vehicle and the trailer. Even just carrying it folded up for later shuttling, the bike rack will make contact with the tongue tool box if I turn sharply enough. I've managed it, but it reduces my maneuverability significantly.

For now, I just use 1upUSA rooftop carriers for my bikes on the tow vehicle when I pull the trailer. A couple weeks ago, my wife took the trailer out for a weekend by herself, though. She's not strong enough to lift her bike onto the rooftop carrier, and had to shove her bike into the back of the car. And to handle bike transport duties while in camp, she had to put the hitch rack inside the camper for transport. Those options sucked, but they worked.

I need to work out something better for the next time she wants to use the camper by herself. It won't happen often, but it'll happen again eventually.
    I jumped on Amazon and bought the Thule T1 Single Bike Hitch Rack. I think I might be able to mount the tray directly to the 2" square stock of the tongue
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    I jumped on Amazon and bought the Thule T1 Single Bike Hitch Rack. I think I might be able to mount the tray directly to the 2" square stock of the tongue
    I have considered mounting a tray to the tongue. Mine's an A-frame style and there's some stuff in the way, but it might help my wife out if I did that. I have looked at putting a mount on the tongue box, but I don't think the lid of the box is strong enough.

Have also thought about ways to attach a hitch rack in a way to at least store/transport it in the same space with a bit more clearance than I've had in the past. I think it would require modifying the trailer tongue, though, and I'm not sure I want to wreck the powder coat of my trailer frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks like your trailer has a pretty long tongue?

Would there be enough room for one of these?

https://www.saris.com/product/freedom-superclamp-st

or

https://www.fabbri.info/en/prodotto/gringo-bici/

Then you could take the bike on the rack even when you leave the trailer at camp?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

I abandoned that idea. I ended up getting the Thule T1 Single rack that will mount directly to the trailer and a Hollywood SR1 spare tire rack. that leaves me with options. I'll post pictures of the Thule on the trailer once I get it on there
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'16 Balance
    '11 Jedi