Rack for Subaru Outback- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rack for Subaru Outback

Just got an 08 Subaru Outback 2.5i. Anyhow, I thought I was going to take the thule rack (LB50 bars, with the xt wrap around the rails thing, and my v2 tray) and throw it on. Well the tray is to long for the roof which won't allow the hatch to open properly. So right now I have turned around and it looks awful.

What thule system works best for the outback? Suggestions and pics are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Thule T2 works great on an outback with a hitch.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    I had the Rocky Mounts trays attached straight to the Outback factory rails. One backwards to accommodate the bars. They have a disc mount adapter which makes the forward facing tray too long for the hatch to open. To allow for room for the hatch, I dremeled(sp?) the tray a bit so I could use the tray w/o the adapter. No issues at all.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    i use king cobra rack on my wagon, i just mount it backwords.

SHane

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I too have bought a new 2008 Outback 2.5i
    I want to buy a roof rack...
    My question is to go with a fork mount or the Yakima Raptor mount leaving the front wheel on the bike. Any views as which is best for the bike? Ease of mount?
    With the Raptor I can use the stock areo cross bars that came with the car and save $200 by not buying towers and round crossbars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a 2002 Subaru Outback Wagon with factory rails. Just got the Yakima HighRoller (grips the front wheel) and seems to work great -- the bike mounts solid/secure. I like the locking mechanism and fold-down design for when the bike is not on. I had to get the Universal MightyMount kit. Instructions were confusing though. I had to push the factory front crossbar all the way forward (use your special Subaru torx tool) for the rack to completely clear the back hatch; the bike mounts forward now. Bought it at REI w/20% discount, so total cost was about $200.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ler619
    My question is to go with a fork mount or the Yakima Raptor mount leaving the front wheel on the bike. Any views as which is best for the bike? Ease of mount?
    With the Raptor I can use the stock areo cross bars that came with the car and save $200 by not buying towers and round crossbars.
    I have the 07' 2.5i.
    I went with the Subaru bike rack made by Yakima (I am pretty sure it is the Yakima Raptor, just with Subaru painted on it). It was only $180 online (subarugenuineparts.com) and it mounts pretty easily with the factory aero bars. At first I was nervous using it (I feel like having the fork mount might be more secure), but after numerous trips with two bikes on my roof, I don't worry as much. It still feels very secure and I usually make sure everything is strapped down tight before I leave. I also try not to go above 65 mph too much when I have the bikes up there.

I am pretty happy with the Subaru branded Yakima Raptor system - it works, seems pretty secure, and saved me a couple hundred bucks from the fork mounted system.
    It's a long way to the top, if you wanna rock n' roll...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    get fork mounts and put the bikes inside the car
    Mother Nature should have had an abortion!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ler619
    I've got the Thule fork mount racks (T2 I think) on my 06 Outback 2.5XT. I wish I could mount my bike with the wheel on it. I can't tell you how many times I've had mud gooped on the front tire and then had to throw it in back of the car. Gets my camelback and my fleece jackets disgustingly dirty if I don't take care.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i have 2 yakima raptors on my 07 2.5i wagon, and i can still open my hatch, how come you got the 08? i don't really care for the look of the 08's very much

mtbr member

i hope you didn't

pay $180 for one Subaru raptor. The Yakima version is only $95! As for the V2/hatchback problem you can either trim a few inches from the tray or get longer crossbars and mount it outside the tower. Thule and Yakima make wheel holders for $30 each to keep your car clean, the Thule one fits factory bars and still folds down.

Fork mountad bike racks hold the bike a lot steadier than upright bike mounts and they don't mess up the paintwork/downtube...they are also cheaper...RockyMounts make the Noose which fits straight on factory bars for about $100 with a lock and you can put two on factory bars...it's a lot cheaper than upgrading to Yakima or Thule crossbars and they come in lots of different colors to match your bike or car!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olsen726
    how come you got the 08? i don't really care for the look of the 08's very much
    haha, maybe becuase thats what he wanted? how come you didnt get the wrx? its way better then the 2.5i

i just put the T2 on the back of my wagon. way better gas milage then the top mount rack. you might want to take a look at that too.
    Shane

Members who have read this thread: 0