rack for sedan that will also work on SUV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

rack for sedan that will also work on SUV

Hey all, i am looking for a quality rack that with hold 3 bikes that will fit on a sedan as well as my trailblazer. I have been looking at reviews for different yakima, thule and others and seems like they all have not gotten very good reviews. Id be hauling a 29er mtb with other mtbs so i would need a sturdy rack. I saw the Allen 104DB ($100) and it got good reviews on amazon but could not find any other reviews http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Deluxe-4.../dp/B00005AM87

I dont want to spend alot but would if need be. Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you mount a 1.25 or 2 inch hitch on both then you can get something like a Softride Element 4 and just switch it between vehicles as needed. Very convenient and easy to install. My wife hates roof racks because she is short-- loves the hitch mounted rack.

EDR
    For trunk mount style check out the Saris Bones. It's versatile and will fit most any vehicle with a bumper. I had one years ago and at that time it was the best trunk mount around. It's very solid, no swaying around. They make a 3 bike version but with any rack, it's not always easy to actually fit the max # of bikes on there without taking some steps to keep them from rubbing/banging on each other. Not sure what else is out there these days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    bones 3. i hauled 3 bikes for the longest time on that (19", 21.5" and a 24") and only had to put socks over two of the pedals to keep them from rubbing paint.

Members who have read this thread: 0