Rack scratching bikes!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Rack scratching bikes!

I have an older trunk mount bike rack. There hare plastic holds that the bike frames sit on and a plastic 1 inch wide strap that secures it.

Its been scratching and rubbing on the frames and I'm annoyed.

I went to hardware store and bought some foam pool noodles. My hope is to remove the plastic holds and slide/glue the foam noodle on each metal hanger. I was then going to use soft velcro straps and bungie cords to secure bikes.

Any thoughts on this, or better ideas?

Thanks,

More Torque
    The best bet would be to get a better rack that does not scratch the car or allow the bikes to touch.

Short of that, you can try some foam pipe insulation. It comes in a variety of thicknesses and inside diameters, and it can be used on the bike frames as well as the rack to provide some add'l cushion and protection. Most comes pre-slit for easy installation, and it is pretty cheap too.

-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's unavoidable with any of the racks that hold your bike by the frame. Either get a hitch rack that holds the tires (i.e. 1UpUSA or equiv) or a roof rack that holds the bike by the tires or the front fork (tire removed).

The kind of rack you have will do more damage to your bikes than the rack costs.

J.

conjoinicorned
    I've used the foam noodles with success.

If the rack works, no need for a new one
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I cant afford anything else at the moment so I went to foam noodle route. Its ugly and should prevent further scratches.

Members who have read this thread: 0