Rack for Ocassional Use- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Rack for Ocassional Use

I am looking for a 4 bike, platform rack for ocassional use. Unfortunately, I have two jobs and do not ride nearly as much as I would like. I have a Yakima hanging rack, and it is a pain to squeeze 4 bikes on it. I usually end up removing the front wheels and storing them in the car. That presents another set os issues.

I also want to keep the price down. This does not have to be the best rack out there. I wish I could say that I was going to use this every weekend, but that would not be realistic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    We need to know what you drive and what kind of rack you'd prefer. I don't use a rack, but I'd personally want to use a rack that slides into a 2" receiver.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill View Post
    We need to know what you drive and what kind of rack you'd prefer. I don't use a rack, but I'd personally want to use a rack that slides into a 2" receiver.
    the op stated he is looking for a 4 bike platform rack to replace a 4 bike hang style rack...meaning he is looking for a hitch mounted rack.

the question is - does the op have a 2" receiver - because any 4 bike platform rack will only work on a 2" receiver (class III or greater).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry.

It is a Saturn Vue, with a Class III 2" receiver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Take a look at Raxxter racks. I have a 4-bike platform rack from them that is reasonably priced and works really well. You can fit 4 bikes on it without any banging, rubbing, etc. It is a 2-bike rack with a 2-bike extension that bolts on. One downside is that it's heavy to move around and mount unless you unbolt the two sections and mount them one at a time. I'm too lazy so I just keep it bolted together and horse it around while grunting a lot. Another thing that some might consider a downside is each bike requires attaching 4 velcro straps. No big deal to me, but other rack designs are probably quicker to load the bike.

If you want a really slick, modular rack, look at 1upUSA. They are single-bike modules that bolt together quickly. Each section folds up for easy storage on a shelf or wherever. I think 4 of these will set you back over $800 though.

Cheapest option may be the Swagman XTC 4

I have the XC-2, and have been happy with it. It's a budget rack, so don't expect Thule T2 quality, but it gets the job done.

Rohloff
    If price isnt' an issue, I'd consider one of the Kuat racks. I haven't taken a close look but I seem to recall that they fold up pretty tightly and are light weight. That's two things I'd want in an occasional use rack I would be taking on and off a lot.

I have a truck now and that works well. Before I had a couple of SUVs and just left a Thule T2 on all the time. It's a good rack but doesn't fold up tightly and is a bit heavy.