Rack for Land Rover Disco- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New question here. Rack for Land Rover Disco

I own a 2001 LR Discovery. To carry my bikes, initially I had a Yakima Spare Joe on the spare tire. It messed up the cargo door, though (latch). Yakima was great about the problem and they set me up with a roof rack system (not free, but discounted).

It can be a pain getting my bikes up there. I use a step ladder. However, I dont loath it. For one, I hardly worry about someone getting to my bikes! As of late, though, there has been a problem with that system. The towers are pulling off of the factory bars on the LR. This has happened 3 times at speed on the Interstate. Im thinking it has something to do with the wind resistance up on top of the car.

The only thing I love more than my Niner is my dog.. and maybe my girlfriend. I cannot stand the thought of it flying off of my car on I-26.

Hitch mount? Yakima and Thule said "No-go." The receiver is too far under the bumper for clearance.

Any other rack options to securely haul my bikes? I just need the ability to take 2 at a time.. preferably a rack that locks.

*I looked through some Land Rover threads, but there isnt a whole lot about bike racks...

**Edit: So, I found a promising hitch extension for a LR. Has anyone used these with a hitch rack? Yakima advises against it (no warranty coverage), but I wonder if all will be okay?
    Last edited by Jnthomps08; 04-11-2011 at 08:37 AM.

code: mtbr2011
    we have used hitch extensions alot...if you use one, make sure you get a tightening hitch pin like this one...it will take the wobble out of the extension.
    since the lr discovery has a swing door, you'll also want to consider a swing away rack like the thule revolver or the yakima swingdaddy so you'll have access to the rear of the suv.
    a fold down rack just won't allow you to open your rear door very far.

mtbr member
    Here's my rundown:

1. 29er
    2. Dog
    3. Girlfiend

Good luck with rack. Happy riding!

Members who have read this thread: 0