Rack for inside a van- Mtbr.com
    Positively negative
    Mar 2010

Rack for inside a van

I'm looking for a way to carry 4 bikes inside a van without taking the wheels off.

1up has an option, but the is nothing holding the bike in place. Thule insta-gater looks nice but I need to rig up a chock to substitute for the tailgate.

Any other options?

Rent this space for $
    First thing that popped into my mind was the Thule Instagator. It's a great idea. So much so, I have nearly bought one or two in the recent past but I have a shell on my truck that prevents me from doing it. I can't talk myself into removing the shell! At any rate, seem that it would be pretty easy to rig up a system that it would work IN the van. Easier than jury-rigging some means with other types of racks, at least. I have never seen anything built specific for the purpose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    1up has an option, but the is nothing holding the bike in place.
    My first thought was a home-brew "wheel chock" on the deep end and half of a 1up on the door end.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/driv...tray-assembly/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    I use 1 up for 3 bikes. I've been lazy so far and just use bungee cords to keep the front from moving. The only downside is sometimes the bikes will roll out of the clamps. Something holding the front wheel would solve that.

Rack for inside a van-img_20180324_181013117_2.jpg

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I use 1 up for 3 bikes. I've been lazy so far and just use bungee cords to keep the front from moving. The only downside is sometimes the bikes will roll out of the clamps. Something holding the front wheel would solve that.
    This is the exact reason I haven't gotten the 1up. I may order one of the wheel trays from a Thule T2 and secure it to a van tray to see if that'll work but it seems like they didn't think this one through.

I also just ordered an Insta-gater to test fit. Should be here Thursday. I suspect similar modifications will be needed.

mtbr member
    This is the exact reason I haven't gotten the 1up. I may order one of the wheel trays from a Thule T2 and secure it to a van tray to see if that'll work but it seems like they didn't think this one through.

I also just ordered an Insta-gater to test fit. Should be here Thursday. I suspect similar modifications will be needed.
    Instagater is more difficult to work with in a van. I sold mine and went with 1 up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    My first thought was a home-brew "wheel chock" on the deep end and half of a 1up on the door end.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/driv...tray-assembly/
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    The only downside is sometimes the bikes will roll out of the clamps. Something holding the front wheel would solve that.
    By wheel chock, I was thinking just a cheap driveway bike rack or something similar made of wood? Basically something to mimic the 1up arms, but stationary.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Had some free time to figure out how to better secure my bikes in the 1up rack. After lots of deliberation and analysis of numerous solutions, this is what I came up with:

Mount the bike with the front wheel in the rack instead of the back and use a bungee to pull the bike toward the rack. Genius isn't it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    We have the 1UP in our van. Have 55,000 miles on it and no issues. Have mounted both front and back wheels. Overall back wheel in rack works best. As long as you "load" the tire with the arm no issues with bikes coming out. On occasion, long trips we use a bungee to hold handlebars together so the front wheel does not wiggle.
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Got the Insta-gater the other day and it's pretty nice. I actually wish I would have gotten a couple when I still had my truck. But i think it's just to bulky to use in the van. It would be extremely difficult to get more then two bikes in without having the wrestle them around the others AND the racks. I'm going to order a couple Van Trays today. I plan to use them in basically the same fashion as the IG, holding the front wheel and will place them close enough to the door so they can't roll out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Name:  F7VMNW5HFSHW4IO.SMALL.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  24.3 KB

I've used this hack before on an open trailer. That time I built two, to hold two sets of bikes on either end of the trailer. Sometimes when its just one set of bikes, I use the other rack to book end the first rack. The racks I built hold 8 bikes each since it was an open open trailer.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Got the Insta-gater the other day and it's pretty nice. I actually wish I would have gotten a couple when I still had my truck. But i think it's just to bulky to use in the van. It would be extremely difficult to get more then two bikes in without having the wrestle them around the others AND the racks. I'm going to order a couple Van Trays today. I plan to use them in basically the same fashion as the IG, holding the front wheel and will place them close enough to the door so they can't roll out.
    Got the trays today. Not super impressed. The release mechanism isn't very smooth and hits the floor when the tray is flat. To use them in the way I intended would take three hands so I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to release it while loading.

I probably should have just gotten some l-tracks and straps.

mtbr member
    I built this in my old Ford E350

Old thule sidearms I no longer used. wanted to build them onto some sliders but never got around to it.

mtbr member
    Got the trays today. Not super impressed. The release mechanism isn't very smooth and hits the floor when the tray is flat. To use them in the way I intended would take three hands so I'm going to see if I can come up with a way to release it while loading.

I probably should have just gotten some l-tracks and straps.
    Any progress? I ordered 3 last spring but returned them for the reasons you mentioned and the fact that they didn't work without something to hold the bike in.
    -G

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I ran out of time before my trip. Roughly 2000 miles away from home right now. I actually went with some L track and basic fork mounts. I was able to fit 5 bikes in the van without too much hassle.

If I were doing something more day to day I'd likely use some roof trays, or parts if them, like rodel, mounted to L track.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    i have a friend who bolted on scorpion stands to a wooden platform and uses that