Rack considerations- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    rack admirer
    Reputation: Mr Magoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    664

    Rack considerations

    I need to up my game.
    After 20 years of bike-in-vehicle and/or to the opposite using a $30 allen strapped to the trunk deck, I am ready to spend some on a real rack and would like the advantage of any knowledge, experience or opinion that you would like to provide here.
    I do not have a trailer hitch, but would consider adding one if it makes sense. I have an oem rack which is load bars (BMW), they are about 2 inch oval and not the aero blades. I am not stuck on these either, but would like to use what I have if they mate up to something nice, but they are noisy.
    Fork clamps? down tube clamps? fat tires? I would like the convenience of keeping the front tire on, but that would not offset the preference to lock in with out wobble.
    I usually ride solo, but would not want to limit to a single. 2-3 makes more sense for event activity and car pooling.
    I am sure there are other things aspects that I should decide on as well.
    Thanks for looking and for helping me out.
    MCM # 57

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    228
    Love my 1upUSA rack. Pure Quality & simple.
    don't tell me, "Show Me " !

  3. #3
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,137
    Quote Originally Posted by jp08865 View Post
    Love my 1upUSA rack. Pure Quality & simple.
    They make a roof tray version too. Makes sense if you OP has factory load bars.

    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1up. I saw one in person, sweet.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    31,662
    No need for a roof rack, hitch racks fit BMWs:

    Rack considerations-01dc355dd68c431843db33cdd9966181745f4cb49c.jpgRack considerations-01ecc89ea0d2f19931cac97dc6d3e36ac2372bff9c.jpg

    That said, BMWs OEM load bars aren't terribly expensive and could serve as the basis for an erector-set roof-setup. Of course, a roof-rack that had 3 bikes on it blowing off another german car under high winds a few weeks ago was a bit discouraging.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I need to up my game.
    After 20 years of bike-in-vehicle and/or to the opposite using a $30 allen strapped to the trunk deck, I am ready to spend some on a real rack and would like the advantage of any knowledge, experience or opinion that you would like to provide here.
    I do not have a trailer hitch, but would consider adding one if it makes sense. I have an oem rack which is load bars (BMW), they are about 2 inch oval and not the aero blades. I am not stuck on these either, but would like to use what I have if they mate up to something nice, but they are noisy.
    Fork clamps? down tube clamps? fat tires? I would like the convenience of keeping the front tire on, but that would not offset the preference to lock in with out wobble.
    I usually ride solo, but would not want to limit to a single. 2-3 makes more sense for event activity and car pooling.
    I am sure there are other things aspects that I should decide on as well.
    Thanks for looking and for helping me out.
    The 1UpUSA rack is a perfect rack for what you describe. It's modular so you can make it as large as you want up to 3-4 trays depending on the particular rack.

    I also have a BMW - a 3 series wagon. I just installed an Invisihitch on my car and I'm really impressed with it. There is a 2" receiver piece that fits into the hitch mount into which the 1UpUSA rack is mounted. The receiver, when removed leaves nothing to be seen from the back of the car. It's an excellent system and I'd highly recommend it.

    I also have aero racks on my car (Thule on one, Yakima on the other) and they are not as silent as a smooth top. Also, having run a bike into the garage on the top of a car, I'm generally a big proponent of hitch racks. Any money you save gets blown really fast if you run your bike into something when it's on top. Call up the rack customer service people and ask them how often that happens (it's a lot) so anyone that thinks it can't/won't happen to them is nuts.

    J.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    The 1UpUSA rack is a perfect rack for what you describe. It's modular so you can make it as large as you want up to 3-4 trays depending on the particular rack.

    I also have a BMW - a 3 series wagon. I just installed an Invisihitch on my car and I'm really impressed with it. There is a 2" receiver piece that fits into the hitch mount into which the 1UpUSA rack is mounted. The receiver, when removed leaves nothing to be seen from the back of the car. It's an excellent system and I'd highly recommend it.

    I also have aero racks on my car (Thule on one, Yakima on the other) and they are not as silent as a smooth top. Also, having run a bike into the garage on the top of a car, I'm generally a big proponent of hitch racks. Any money you save gets blown really fast if you run your bike into something when it's on top. Call up the rack customer service people and ask them how often that happens (it's a lot) so anyone that thinks it can't/won't happen to them is nuts.

    J.
    I saw this on Facebook.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    441
    A hitch rack will fit any vehicle you own in the future. If you take someone else's vehicle you could put your hitch rack on their vehicle. I had a expensive hold up and sold it after loosing a bike. Many racks touch the frame or fork causing cosmetic damage.
    When you are done a epic ride having to remove a wheel is inconvenient.
    Buy a 1up. I did and I don't regret it.

  8. #8
    Why so uptite?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    974
    Several of the BMW folks I see at the local park all use 1UP or Kuat NV hitch racks.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

    @tgi_cycling

    .

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by tartis99 View Post
    I saw this on Facebook.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    LOL. And I've done that. I was lucky, it only cost me a $300 rear wheel as well as the trashed roof top carrier and a new shifter. No damage to the car or to the house.

    When I called into Yakima to ask how to determine if the rack attachment was still ok or not, they told me that they get numerous calls about this sort of thing every day. Every single day - think about that for a minute.

    J.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    25
    Im going with a hitch mount rack on my civic si. From what I have seen they work really great and can tilt out of the way to get into the trunk if necessary.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBrightEy3s View Post
    Im going with a hitch mount rack on my civic si. From what I have seen they work really great and can tilt out of the way to get into the trunk if necessary.
    One of the things you may want to look at is Invisihitch. It's a receiver that connects up under the car and is invisible when removed. I have a BMW 3 series wagon, which has a bumper that is considerably closer to the pavement than with my SUV (obviously). One of the advantages of this is that when I take the bike rack off and the receiver off, then I don't have anything that protrudes below the bumper. It also looks much better.



    J.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    25
    I ended up going with the curt hitch for my car. I has the most mounting points, so I trust it a little more.

Similar Threads

  1. Leadville aero considerations
    By InWyo in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-08-2016, 01:25 PM
  2. Syntace cockpit for LES considerations
    By adinpapa in forum Pivot Cycles
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-05-2014, 03:44 PM
  3. 142x12 rear considerations?
    By powderhound82 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 10:00 AM
  4. Considerations, need some opinions.
    By montananate in forum Specialized
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM
  5. Chain suck considerations
    By James Lee in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.