Which rack is better for a bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Which rack is better for a bike?

Ok, so which rack is better for the bike. I don't know much about bikes, so I'm thinking one has to be a better rack in terms of supporting the bike in a better way. Thanks

A.

B.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    never used a rack but looks like with A you could risk pinching your hydro brakes

Elitest thrill junkie
    the B would be better, no matter what you do with the top one, your bikes will "swing" around a lot. Yes, there are straps, but the bikes will still swing. The lower one is a much better setup, and I'd recommend a thule T2 if you can swing it, but if not it looks like a decent alternative. The upper one also won't accomidate as many different bikes as the lower one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I have owned both and got rid of the type that hold the bike bu the top tube and bought the other rack. With the first type of rack, the bike swings when you stop and start up again (I used to velcro strag my crank arm to the rack to keep it from moving), it can scratch the bike paint (especially around the cables), and its a pain in the a$$ for bikes with sloping top tubes because the front tire sits so low to the ground.

I use both rook racks and the Sportrack EZ rack (second one pictured) but it is certainly my favourite. I use it for both mountain and road bikes with no issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sounds like B is most certainly the best

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    B is better. But, you still have to deal with the frame contact. If your carrier or bike sway then it will damage the frame. I would look at either the Holdup by Yakima or the T2 by Thule. A little spendy but worth the extra cash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dumanichi
    B is better. But, you still have to deal with the frame contact. If your carrier or bike sway then it will damage the frame. I would look at either the Holdup by Yakima or the T2 by Thule. A little spendy but worth the extra cash.
    What Dumanichi said. A hitch rack that holds the bike by its wheels is the best option - pricey but the best. I went with the cheaper option. The arm that holds the bike down by the top tube is very well padded. Most of my bikes have the cables run underneath the top tube so there is no issue of scratching. I do have 1 bike that routes the cables on top of the top tube so I wrap a rag between the top tube and the cables where the arm comes down to hold the bike. The bike is strapped into the wheel trays so the arm is really just there to keep the bike from rocking and bouncing. Doesn't need to be tightly against the top tube. And for the price is a good deal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the opinions, keep them coming

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 01Forester
    What Dumanichi said. A hitch rack that holds the bike by its wheels is the best option - pricey but the best. I went with the cheaper option. The arm that holds the bike down by the top tube is very well padded. Most of my bikes have the cables run underneath the top tube so there is no issue of scratching. I do have 1 bike that routes the cables on top of the top tube so I wrap a rag between the top tube and the cables where the arm comes down to hold the bike. The bike is strapped into the wheel trays so the arm is really just there to keep the bike from rocking and bouncing. Doesn't need to be tightly against the top tube. And for the price is a good deal!

Where is the best deal for the rack that you speak of?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So far the best deal I've seen is amazon for 130. but if anyone knows where to get them or a cheaper place let us know. I don't want to get it shipped so any place that carries them would be great!

mtbr member
    I'm in Canada and got mine at Canadian Tire for $140 last year. I have seen them in the past on sale at Performance for around $100 US.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What hitch does everyone use with the xport rack? Does the Class I curt hitch 1-1/4 work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    anyone?

mtbr member
    I have a Swagman XC2, which is alot like the Xport "B" Rack. I am using a Curt Class I 1.25" hitch with my EVO IX for over a year and have zero issues. I actually like the Curt better than the Drawtight I bought for my other car in the past (WRX). The Curt seems better built (beefier and prettier welds) and it didn't come to my door bent out of shape requiring me to remove it from the car in the middle of an install to re-bend it.

tk

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome thanks!! I have an Si sedan, so I'm thinking if it works on your EVO it should work on mine!. How do you like your EVO? What are you puttin out numbers wise?

Also where did you get your Swagman XC2, and how do you like it?

mtbr member
    I have 2 swagmans, one for the EVO (2-bike version), and one for the Expedition (4-bikes). I got one from Autoanything.com (took over a month to receive), and the other from eBay (drop shipped to me from the factory in less than a week). My brother bought his from one of the MTBR vendors had (under the specials page, and got free shipping and a better deal than I did).

The Swagmans are inexpensive and work fairly well. IMO, the weakest part is the ratcheting hooks holding down the bike. Between my 2 racks, I have one hook that would slip, so that got tossed. However, I would rather have the hooks racheting than having to tighten them up with a knob. It really is more convenient. But be warned, the hooks can damage the finish on bikes. Not from the foam hooks, but the side of the hook where it is welded to the racheting mechanism, there is no foam and can hit the downtube when driving. It's just paint, so there is no safety issue (denting of downtube, etc).

My EVO is stock, but my last car (WRX) had a VF30 and was dynoed about 300 hp (calculated back to engine hp). It was good, but the EVO not only feels like it has more power, but handles like it's on rails.

Good luck.

tk

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The first one looks a lot like my own bike rack. There isn't much sway on the bike when driving. I use a couple of bungy cords and secure my pedals and front tire well and it seems very secure. For ease of use, I'd personally go with the first one. It's so simple to just slide in a hitch rack and even remove it and place it in your vehicle while on a trail. I've used mine for a while now and haven't had a problem. But...go with what's right for you and your vehicle.
    Last edited by JJGNC; 03-14-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Grammatical Mistake

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've also used both types, and much prefer the tray mount vs. the top tube mount. All my bikes either have a sloped top tube, which means the front wheel is much closer to the ground in the top tube rack, or suspension inside the front triangle, which means I had to use one of those bars that attaches to your seat and stem, making the bike drag really low.

That said, the tray types aren't perfect either... my Sportworks won't accommodate a 29er, and the only hitches available for my car are the smaller (1.25") ones, which seem pretty flexy compared to the 2" receiver I used on a 4Runner. I'm also nervous that someone's gonna smash into my bike while I'm driving, and I've been warned about the folded up rack blocking my license plate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    When you say you were warned, did you have the tray on there but folded up? or did you have it out and with a bike on it? The swagman can be used with a class I hitch correct?

ballbuster

I have B

Quote Originally Posted by 01Forester
    An love it. I'll re-emphasize what this poster said about top tube cable runs. I have one bike that runs the cables on the top of the top tube. I run full length housing on that bike, too. I push the cables around to the side when I load it on this rack.

Other than that, great rack for the dough. If you have the extra budget, I would suggest the T2 or Yakima ones that grab the front wheel, but this one does a great job.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know about the swagman...

I was warned with the rack empty and folded up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am going with the Swagman

Single Speed Junkie
    Really all depends upon what bike your riding and you plan to ride in the future.
    Which is better questions is more of a ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0