Rack for back of RV?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rack for back of RV?

Hi folks,

Just got a 5th wheel trailer that has a 2" receiver on the back. It's bolted to the frame, not one of the wimbly 'bumper mounted' ones.
    I have a few bikes that I'd like to travel with......more than 2.

Most of the major players only have a 2 bike model that's RV approved, so I'm wondering if there's any real-world experience of folks hauling multiple bikes on the backs of their trailers?

The issue is that with a trailer, any road undulations etc get amplified by the time the forces reach the back of the trailer, so there can be some serious bucking and jostling going on back there. This I'm assuming is the reason that the rack companies will only warranty a two bike set up, because it's most likely all the "folding points" on racks wear a lot faster with the added bouncing etc.

I thought I had found the answer in the NorthShore Racks NR-4. As they are local to me I thought it'd be a win/win situation. When I inquired with my pointed question about warranty on the back of an 5th wheel they told me that they knew of many people using their rack in that application with no issues, but there would be no warranty. Fair enough.

I'm contemplating a roof rack system for the truck, but then there's all the bug issues etc. Not a horrible solution., but a stand alone rack would allow us to use it on our other vehicle as well.

Anyway, maybe I'm totally overthinking it, but if I invest in an expensive rack I'd like it to be the right one

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E. View Post
    I'm contemplating a roof rack system for the truck, but then there's all the bug issues etc.
    Bought a fifth wheel a couple years ago. Tried the roof rack on the truck last year and for me it was a pain getting the bikes up and down since the truck is so tall, bugs weren't too bad, but took an additional hit on mpg's with the bikes up there. Sold the setup and went to a Thule T2 Pro hitch rack. My camper is a bunkhouse with a big door on the bunks and the bottom bunk flips up so i can get 2 bikes in there and I'll put 2 on the rack on the back of the camper. I guess Thule doesn't rate the rack for back of RV's and if we go on a longer trip I would probably put it on the front receiver hitch on my truck, which the bugs will really suck then since the bikes are sideways.

Haven't found the perfect solution other than I should probably just buy a toyhauler... LOL

Rack for back of RV?-img_20170716_160600087_hdr-medium-.jpg