Rack for 68 Bug- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rack for 68 Bug

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Rack for 68 Bug

I'm buying my aunt's 68 bug in a couple of weeks and need a rack for it. A yakima set-up is pretty pricey. Are there any other options? Any info would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I think roof racks are about the only option. There isn't a typical hatch/trunk for a typical trunk rack, so that is not really an option. A bike does fit inside, but it's a bit of a hassle. I have fit my fairly large mountain bike in my '68, but I had to take both wheels off, and I took out the rear seat cushion so the seat back would fold down flat. Removing the passenger seat makes fitting a bike in easier but it is not necessary.

I eventually put a Yakima on mine. I had a nice set-up with two bike trays and kayak saddles on another car with gutters and kept the rack for the Bug when I sold the other car. Here's a picture...I have posted it here before, but who doesn't like to show off?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cool set-up. I decided since my bike rarely travels, I'm qoing to buy a hitch rack for my Yukon. It would be half the price and I can get one to hold the whole family's bikes. I'm amazed you fit a bike in the back of a bug.

Members who have read this thread: 0