Which rack?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which rack?

mtb n00b

Which rack?

Im looking at the Valley Sport Rack Original Wheel Mount and the Swagman XTC-2 for my 07 Civic sedan. Which one would you guys suggest?

Thanks,
    Frankie

mtbr member
    http://www.etrailer.com/p-989890.htm
    The Original SportRack Folding Trailer Hitch Mounted 2 Bike Carrier = Valley?

i made the same decision 2 months ago and chose the swagman because the wheels sit deeper inside the grooves. There is also a bike lock upgrade whick for $25-30 or so u get a lock that locks the bike rack to the hitch and another lock that locks your bikes to the bike rack. very handy when u need to step away from the car for some time.

the quality is decent on my swagman and i try to go at a max of 60-70mph...

no comment on the sportrack, never seen it in my life
    RH SL Pro

Go make a difference
    Neither...go with Raxter. See my post...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=573353

www.raxterracks.com

I know they're a little more expensive, but cheaper than the Yaks and Thule with top quality and great customer service.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    thats double the price of what the OP is looking for... thats like suggesting buying a BMW 3 when someone is asking for a civic.. so dont think its neither.. OP should pick one of them, lol
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Louissssssssssssss,

k2biker probably suggested that rack because the OP might not be satisfied with going with a cheaper option in the long run. I got a cheaper hitch rack and ended up buying another one within a year because the first one was so bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    Louissssssssssssss,

k2biker probably suggested that rack because the OP might not be satisfied with going with a cheaper option in the long run. I got a cheaper hitch rack and ended up buying another one within a year because the first one was so bad.
    how bad was it?? i had a *cheapo* Allen $70 2-bike trunk rack and i didn't find it "bad" at all, nothing that made me want to spend double the price to upgrade one within a year...
    RH SL Pro

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by willevans
    Louissssssssssssss,

Thank you. Yes, I made this suggestion because sometimes skimping on cost on something where a $2k brick is going to be literally hanging out, doesn't always pay off. I have used a couple different types and racks. I have carried road, tri, 29ers, 26ers, and hybrids on these varying racks literally all over the Eastern and Southern US. I found the Raxter a couple years back but didn't want to fork over the $$ -- for it or a Yak or Thule. I found my current rack used so I got a good deal on it, but let me tell ya, I should have just dropped the coin a couple years ago on it. It would have saved me frustration, scratched bikes, convenience, etc.

I've seen and heard people talk about the racks in the OP. They are flimsy. They sit low, thus can scrape if you have a vehicle that rides low (like an 07 Civic). So think about it, if the tires on your bike are sitting lower than the rails holding it and you scrape the ground in a turn, what do you think will happen? Your trusty steed COULD get damaged. Not saying it WILL, but the possibility exists with the racks listed in the OP.

The Raxter / Thule / Yak racks similar to what the OP is looking for are (I don't believe I'm actually going to say this) worth the money if you carry your bike more than twice a month on the car and care about what happens to it. That said, you can always find 'em on Craigslist or other local classifieds, mtbr classifieds, races, and local forums cheaper than brand new. In this economy, I've been amazed at how many racks I've seen being sold. Some folks have 2 or 3 for varying purposes / cars and just decide they only really need one.

If you have patience and are willing to spend some time shopping for the rack you want at a certain price point, you'll find it. Heck, talk with local racers you know who are sponsored and shop guys. They're always getting the latest and greatest at a deal so they're likely going to pass some of that savings onto you. That's how I got my 4-bike Raxter -- local racer who's sponsored by them. I paid $250 for it and will likely not buy another hitch rack for a VERY long time -- for my trucks or my girlfriend's Jeep.

Just my opinion and everyone has one.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What k2biker said....but otherwise get the Swagman because it looks like it folds up better.

mtbr member

Alt rack

Anyone got one of these?

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

mtb n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    https://www.etrailer.com/p-989890.htm
    The Original SportRack Folding Trailer Hitch Mounted 2 Bike Carrier = Valley?
    Thats what it says on the product overview in the search results lol

Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    i made the same decision 2 months ago and chose the swagman because the wheels sit deeper inside the grooves. There is also a bike lock upgrade whick for $25-30 or so u get a lock that locks the bike rack to the hitch and another lock that locks your bikes to the bike rack. very handy when u need to step away from the car for some time.

the quality is decent on my swagman and i try to go at a max of 60-70mph...

no comment on the sportrack, never seen it in my life
    What kind of car do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Neither...go with Raxter. See my post...
    https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-racks/lovin-my-raxter-4-bike-rack-573353.html

www.raxterracks.com

I know they're a little more expensive, but cheaper than the Yaks and Thule with top quality and great customer service.
    Those racks look very nice!! I really wish I had the money for good rack but with the holidays here I cant afford to. I dont wanna wait to try to find one used cuz it seems that I cant get my bike in/out of my car without bashing the pedals into the rear bumper. Ive been lucky so far cuz I havent scratched it, just scuffs. I also transport another bike in the back seat sometimes and Ive already scratched the door jam. Id rather spend the money on a cheap rack now and get a better one when I can then have to pay for paint repairs on my car lol

Thanks for the input guys!!

mtbr member
    Have an accord
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I use something similar to the Valley. It more resembles http://www.etrailer.com/p-S64650/2-B...eel-Mount.html (just small changes).

I've had mine for a little over a year and the bikes lock in very secure. You can use a simple pad lock to lock the bikes to the rack and get a locking hitch pin to secure that to the car if need be. I also like it because it's not sticking up as high, creating wind resistance, and decreasing fuel mileage. I've never come close to scraping the bikes on the ground and I've got a pretty low car.

Members who have read this thread: 0