Rack for 2014 Prius C- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rack for 2014 Prius C

My 19 yr old T100 finally gave up the ghost on our way to Anchorage and we had to quickly buy a replacement car. We got a new Prius C and drove home to Homer. Now we have to figure out a way to carry our bikes when needed, which isn't that often as we usually ride to where we want to go.

I couldn't find a thread for this car so I'm wondering how Prius C owners are transporting their bikes: Roof rack, Trunk rack, hitch mount?

Thanks for your help!

Pat

mtbr member
    My wife has a C. I was going to put a 1.25" class I hitch receiver on it to use my 9 year old Swagman XC2 rack. I ended up putting a hitch receiver on my CT200h instead because I found a good deal on a used hitch receiver (open box/customer-return) for the CT.

BTW, hitches on both these hybrids are frowned upon by the dealers.

Trailer Hitch for 2012 Toyota Prius c | etrailer.com

I think I spent about $100 for my CT hitch (used), while a new Class I Prius-C hitch will be around $140.

My Swagman XC 2 is a Class I hitch rack, and I think a Thule T2 is also Class I. You'll need to check the specs of your rack (or the rack you intend to buy) because a Class II rack won't fit in a Class I receiver (shank hole won't line up w/ receiver hole to install the pin).

May The Force Be With You
    seasucker!! lots of glass on them green machines
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

tk,

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty set on the hitch mount so I can use the hitch rack I already have. Why do dealers frown upon them?

Pat

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Dealers don't want you to tow with it. Whatever you do, don't tow with a prius.

The best hitch is the ecohitch, the installation looks more factory, and it's a 2" reciever. So it's much stronger at holding bikes. It costs about double though at $250.
    Torklift Central Eco-Hitch Stealth 2" 2012+ Toyota Prius C Trailer Hitch | Torklift Central

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Toyota US manual also states not to tow with a Yaris either (although, you can in Canada... Toyota even offers a factory hitch receiver up north).

The Prius C is supposed to be based off of the Yaris platform, so...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
    Yeah, the Toyota US manual also states not to tow with a Yaris either (although, you can in Canada... Toyota even offers a factory hitch receiver up north).

The Prius C is supposed to be based off of the Yaris platform, so...

I'm not worried about the chassis of the vehicle. Basic physics and engineering will tell you any car can tow a small garden trailer no problem. It's the electric drivetrain i'm worried about, in particular the Power Split Device(PSD) transmission unit which houses the planetary gears and electric motors. They are so heavily dependent using electrical current to control power split ratios, i'm not sure how it would react to increased forces pushing and pulling on the unit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks again!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm pretty set on the hitch mount and don't plan on towing anything...ever! I have an '86 Toyota p/u I can use if needed altho it's currently a dog house for my 15 yr old sled dog.
    I'm in no hurry as we just don't haul our bikes anywhere very often, so I'll keep my eyes open for an even better deal over the good deals I'm already seeing for these mounts.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can you fit the bike inside a PriusC with the seats down and front wheel (only) off?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glano View Post
    Can you fit the bike inside a PriusC with the seats down and front wheel (only) off?
    Should fit if you're not worried about mud and such.

I have since taken over the C. Here's my latest rack, a Saris Thelma 3: