Rack for 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (no spoiler)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Rack for 2000 Honda Accord Coupe (no spoiler)

Hello, first of all I am new to the forum and this is my first post here. I discovered this site when searching for reviews on bikes in the moderate price range of around $650 or so. I bought my first bike since I was in college (10+ years ago) and it is a Cannondale F5 (2008). As I've learned with many hobbies, the skies the limit with bikes but I am very satisfied with my purchase. I have had it for less than a month and only get to ride on the weekends.

Anyway, with that said, I want to get a rack for my car so I can take it to trails outside of the city. As the title of this post suggests, I have a 2000 Honda Accord Coupe with no spoiler. I really don't want to do a roof rack and I guess probably can't with a moon roof.
    I was looking at the Thule and Saris trunk racks but I'm perplexed and worried about the plastic moulded bumper (or whatever material) on the back denting with the weight.

I do not currently have a hitch on my car and I'm not sure I'd want to put one on. Anyone have thoughts on racks as an option for my car that won't jack it up? Thank you so much.

mtbr member
    you are right about the bumper not being strong enough...
    Yakima does not recommend using a trunk rack on that car for that reason

Saris however say that it will work

Thule I don't know, Thule trunk racks aren't very good overall

Yakima tend to do a lot of testing for their stuff and are usually pretty spot on...if they say it isn't strong enough to support the weight of the bikes they are probably right.

Yakima and Thule do make a roof rack for that car.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I called Saris and they were really helpful in the suggestions and ideas. Based on my car, I still may be able to pull off trunk mount with the Guardian 2-bike rack. The bottom bracket rests on the license plate whic is a better option because that would be a sturdier position for it.

Has anyone had experience with the Saris Guardian racks? I don't see reviews for them so I'm guessing they are new?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Okay, well I've shifted gears after realizing a trunk rack isn't possible without damage to my bumper or isn't sturdy which could be problematic to everyone on the road.

So today I had a trailer hitch (Class 1) attached to my vehicle. I will then get a car rack via hitch. Any thoughts are a good but cheaper model? Thanks.

mtbr member
    do a search on this forum - scan the posts - Thule T2 is probably the best but quite spendy.....check out performancebike.com and their platform bike racks for cheaper hitch racks - myself and several others are happy with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the posts. Here's what I eventually did.

- Had a trailer hitch (Class 1) installed to my car
    - Had an anti-rock/sway bolt installed with a lock as well. The rack was rocking so I figured better to have that and now I can lock my bike to the rack itself.
    - Bought a Saris T-Rax 2-bike from Craigslist for $80.

The T-Rax is okay and does the trick for my one bike. Used it yesterday and the bike didn't sway or move. I'm sure there are better products out there but for the price, couldn't be beat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am thinking about putting a trailer hitch on my Dodge Caliber. Have you had any problems with the hitch? dragging or scratching bottom?

Members who have read this thread: 0