'Q'uite some trouble...- Mtbr.com
    rubber side up
    Feb 2008

No good 'Q'uite some trouble...

its raining and my Q-Towers are letting water drain into my interior. i called yakima and brian told me that i could take it on and off every time i ride. im assuming he has never installed these things. its not a HUGE deal but i ride my mountain bike or road bike every day or two.
    i am not very happy about the water situation. hopefully the warranty will cover it; the term "defective product" i think applies

any of you boy's or girl's know of a solution?

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with Thule racks on my 95 Pathfinder. The water would run down the clips and into the interior because the clips ran on top of the weatherstripping and not under it. Yep my solution was to only have them on when I needed them, On my Forester I don't have that problem anymore.

Now if you can figure a way to divert the water from running down the clips...

since 4/10/2009
    sounds like a problem with the car, not the rack. My Honda has two sets of weatherstripping around the doors. The first set is more like a dust cover, which the clips on my rack pass through. The rack does not impact the second weatherstrip at all, which keeps water out.

Now, to be fair, it would be nice if the rack makers put a note in the fit guide telling potential buyers that the particular rack application on that particular vehicle would interfere with weatherstripping.

I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but you might be able to use some silicone RTV sealant (it comes in black, to somewhat match your weatherstripping) to make an attempt to create a seal around your clips. I have used it to repair leaky stripping around a window on an old truck before.

More Torque
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk
    sounds like a problem with the car, not the rack. My Honda has two sets of weatherstripping around the doors. The first set is more like a dust cover, which the clips on my rack pass through. The rack does not impact the second weatherstrip at all, which keeps water out.

Now, to be fair, it would be nice if the rack makers put a note in the fit guide telling potential buyers that the particular rack application on that particular vehicle would interfere with weatherstripping.

I'm not sure if it's possible or not, but you might be able to use some silicone RTV sealant (it comes in black, to somewhat match your weatherstripping) to make an attempt to create a seal around your clips. I have used it to repair leaky stripping around a window on an old truck before.
    I agree that it likely has to do with the model of the car. I had my Q towers on my old Saturn full time for 10 years with no leaks. My buddy's old Integra with frameless windows did leak a bit with his Thule installed on the roof.

Members who have read this thread: 0