Quik-Rack Mach 2 - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Holy crap! The rack looks awesome but it's over $1500 for a 4 bike setup. I'll wait to see if there is a sale otherwise I am fine with my Rocky Mounts Monorail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by firemanj92 View Post
    Pricing is finally listed on quikrack's website.
    Which website? the quikrackcom site is the same as it has been since it became quikrstuff or whatever its called now. i don't see any pricing on it.

maybe he took it down already?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    https://quikrack.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickbrown View Post
    Which website? the quikrackcom site is the same as it has been since it became quikrstuff or whatever its called now. i don't see any pricing on it.

maybe he took it down already?
    Took me a while to find it too. It is buried in the text on the front page.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The price of the new Quik-Rack Mach 2 one bike rack is $478, and each one bike Add-On is $348.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    The price of the new Quik-Rack Mach 2 one bike rack is $478, and each one bike Add-On is $348.
    Well that escalated quickly...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jimglassford View Post
    This blog has been around for 2 years as Cal played. As I said early, Cal had a good idea with trapping both wheels on a bike rack. Many of his other features had serious flaws. The "WE LOVE CAL" groupies defended him when I stated he lacks knowledge of the business end of manufacturing. Now that an outside entity, the local machine shop, is footing the bills, we see what low production really costs.

My advice to Cal is, RETIRE!
    let me add to that........retire and license your patents
    Crusin' on a fake duck with a Sharks jersey on and a pig's tail in my fork.

Giving me negative rep only encourages me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    He should have gone on Shark Tank gotten an investor and some advice.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I see it now thanks....

Was fun while it lasted.

mtbr member
    Fingers crossed for a 30% off Black Friday sale.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I am not sure if Twotone was joking about Shark Tank but after I laughed, it occurred to me that it was a very good idea.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I am not sure if Twotone was joking about Shark Tank but after I laughed, it occurred to me that it was a very good idea.
    They would have told him to license the patent to a major company.

Him debating them on national TV would have been more entertainment than this forum.

But maybe they would have convinced him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I think Cal tried licensing his patents, whatever they may be. Over the past two years, his web site advertised this. No one took him up on his offer. I do not know what patents he has but anything can be patented. However, defending them is the real challenge. I think you will find that his patented technologies really are not worth much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wait!!! It's MORE expensive than 1 Up? Oh man, I've been waiting on this thing to finally hit the market because the prices suggested early on were quite attractive. No way I'm paying more than a 1 Up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I think Cal tried licensing his patents, whatever they may be. Over the past two years, his web site advertised this. No one took him up on his offer. I do not know what patents he has but anything can be patented. However, defending them is the real challenge. I think you will find that his patented technologies really are not worth much.
    He should have met Mr. Wonderful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skittles View Post
    Wait!!! It's MORE expensive than 1 Up? Oh man, I've been waiting on this thing to finally hit the market because the prices suggested early on were quite attractive. No way I'm paying more than a 1 Up.
    Seriously? You have been waiting for Cal to deliver as recently as 10 hours ago? Great patience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Seriously? You have been waiting for Cal to deliver as recently as 10 hours ago? Great patience.

What's the big deal? Just like me he probably has a rack that is doing the job and was just waiting. I'm going to end up with a new rack, just don't need one right away. You have to admit, if he had delivered at the original price it would have been a great deal.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What's the big deal? Just like me he probably has a rack that is doing the job and was just waiting. I'm going to end up with a new rack, just don't need one right away. You have to admit, if he had delivered at the original price it would have been a great deal.
    Yup, have a functional rack (hanging bike style), so able to "wait" but still have a means to transport bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    There is no "big deal" just surprised that he was waiting that long with reasonable expectation of it happening. But having no immediate or midterm need for a rack is helpful. Still, when Cal could not deliver on multiple rendition of list, at least to me and many others, suggested likelihood of ever delivering was very close to zero.

On the waiting itself, I waited 5-6 months for a warranty frame, and had no issue because of multiple bikes. U waited so long that they upgraded me to Carbon frame for free. So I see your point on virtues of waiting.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Has anyone actually received this mystical rack yet?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would guess that to be a "No" as it was never sold nor manufactured and no money was collected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Well another quarter of a year has passed and I was just cruising the internet looking for a review of the Quik-Rack Mach 2. Has Cal sold one or gave one to a magazine for testing? Except for their own web site, I can't find any recent references. I am not considering buying one. This has become more of a lesson for others on how not to go into business.

At Work
    Just got this email.

"America's Greatest Bike Rack Just Got Better. And It's In Production!
    For all the fans of Cal and his revolutionary bike racks, we feel it’s time you got an update!

Let’s face it, the world as we knew it has been overturned. We’re all affected by this virus and we at QuikRStuff send our best wishes for your health and safety and that of your family and friends.
    And the update? Great news! QuikRStuff is almost ready to start shipping the new Quik Rack Mach2!

Cal’s (r)evolution continues with his latest design, the Mach2. And we’ve been working hard to get it just right. It’s stronger, easier to use, and “quikr” than the original Quik Rack carrier.
    With the stay-at-home order still in effect, we aren’t yet able to begin full production. So we can’t yet give you a definitive ship date for the Mach2, but it’s coming soon. We will email everyone again in about 2 weeks, as we are very close.

We’ve also been hard at work on a new website. We’ll let you know as soon as it launches. Our goal is to have the site ready and the Mach2 available for purchase at the same time.
    We promise we’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, you can follow us on our Blog, Facebook and Instagram for news and updates on our design process and production progress.
    No matter what happens, we remain dedicated to bringing you the best quality, made-in-America bike rack that’s been field-tested to withstand the toughest conditions.
    In the meantime, stay healthy and ride safe!

Bryan Wachs
    CEO, QuikRStuff "
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

GIANT REVOLT ADVANCED 1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sxr-racer View Post
    Just got this email.

"America's Greatest Bike Rack Just Got Better. And It's In Production!
    For all the fans of Cal and his revolutionary bike racks, we feel it’s time you got an update!

Let’s face it, the world as we knew it has been overturned. We’re all affected by this virus and we at QuikRStuff send our best wishes for your health and safety and that of your family and friends.
    And the update? Great news! QuikRStuff is almost ready to start shipping the new Quik Rack Mach2!

Cal’s (r)evolution continues with his latest design, the Mach2. And we’ve been working hard to get it just right. It’s stronger, easier to use, and “quikr” than the original Quik Rack carrier.
    With the stay-at-home order still in effect, we aren’t yet able to begin full production. So we can’t yet give you a definitive ship date for the Mach2, but it’s coming soon. We will email everyone again in about 2 weeks, as we are very close.

We’ve also been hard at work on a new website. We’ll let you know as soon as it launches. Our goal is to have the site ready and the Mach2 available for purchase at the same time.
    We promise we’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, you can follow us on our Blog, Facebook and Instagram for news and updates on our design process and production progress.
    No matter what happens, we remain dedicated to bringing you the best quality, made-in-America bike rack that’s been field-tested to withstand the toughest conditions.
    In the meantime, stay healthy and ride safe!

Bryan Wachs
    CEO, QuikRStuff "
    Thanks. I needed the laugh. Who would of thought that the current virus situation actually had an effect on production over the last 2-3 years. Wow, that's some backwards ripple effect. AND they are also staying at home like good little sheep. So let me sum it up for you, it ain't out yet but stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    [QUOTE=sxr-racer;14706259]Just got this email.

" We will email everyone again in about 2 weeks, as we are very close. "

In CAL time, that will be 9 to 12 months.

aka bOb
    And for a low price of $848 for a 2 place rack. After the last stunt I am now along just for the laughs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    And for a low price of $848 for a 2 place rack. After the last stunt I am now along just for the laughs.
    $618 for an equivalent 1UP (single Super Duty with an add-on).

I think Mach2 has a lot of nice upgrades over the 1UP but not for $230. A 1UP Super Duty add-on is $239. So that means you can have a 3 bike rack from 1UP for the price of the 2 bike rack Mach2.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I also noticed that the notice was signed by the CEO Bryan Wachs. I guess Cal does not own this company. Maybe when he designs the Mach 3?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
    $618 for an equivalent 1UP (single Super Duty with an add-on).

I think Mach2 has a lot of nice upgrades over the 1UP but not for $230. A 1UP Super Duty add-on is $239. So that means you can have a 3 bike rack from 1UP for the price of the 2 bike rack Mach2.
    Agreed and the upgrades is why I fell for his shenanigans last time but the price was much lower. I will stick with my 1 up for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I got the same email... I thought it was a phishing attempt at first. I don't have a need for a rack anymore. Hopefully this CEO knows how to bring a product to market. It would be nice to have more competition in the space.

..and yeah, being any of this on COVID is folley.

Sent from my Phh-Treble vanilla using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I also noticed that the notice was signed by the CEO Bryan Wachs. I guess Cal does not own this company. Maybe when he designs the Mach 3?
    A while back, seemed like Cal gave up trying to sell it on his own. Said he had sold the design. The website lists Cal, the new CEO, and a third person.

mtbr member since 1996
    Saris and Inno Racks both make similar products. I think I saw the patents expired. They are good for 20 years and if he did patent around 2000 (the clock starts ticking when you file) they would have expired by now.

I got the same email and my goodness...enough with the "Coming soon!". Just shut up until you have something to sell. This rack has been "in production" what...3 times now and not one to show for it.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Maybe Cal was a prepper and stayed sheltered the last 3 years and stopped production to be prepared for the 2020 virus? whis is laughing now?

Always happy to see competition, but to see competition, we actually need to see it.
    Mayor v4
    Giant Toughroad

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    He could've have been competition if he came out at his price, but now he just reinforced 1Up's pricing which I thought was already high. I'm not going to pay more to a start up that I don't know will be around a year or two.

All he did was push someone like me into 1up's arms.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Maybe someone can point out any benefit of the Mach2 design? Now that Saris and Inno Rack have racks that hold both tires, we have the original 1-Up rack and their newer Equip-D design, what does the Mach2 offer at a higher price than any other? The Equip-D is a better design as compared to the Mach2 at a slightly lower price and the original 1-Up is the bargain for those who do not need the slight refinements.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maybe someone can point out any benefit of the Mach2 design? Now that Saris and Inno Rack have racks that hold both tires, we have the original 1-Up rack and their newer Equip-D design, what does the Mach2 offer at a higher price than any other? The Equip-D is a better design as compared to the Mach2 at a slightly lower price and the original 1-Up is the bargain for those who do not need the slight refinements.
    Watch the video, he covers the differences ad changes he made.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Watch the video, he covers the differences ad changes he made.
    He covers the difference between the original design and the Mach2. The other three options added features as well to enhance the designs.

mtbr member since 1996
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I also recieved the emailed announcement and was hopeful it was finally going to be delivered, especially if it lives up to the hype. The price will determine the sales I suspect and the numbers to be produced if they are. I'd still like one if it is what it is to be. I think I'd like to see some real reviews first though.

mtbr member since 1996
    From the website,

“Cal Phillips, serial bike industry inventor, licensed his new bike rack to QuikRStuff in Grand Junction, Colorado.”

That is new. I suspect they are distancing themselves from Cal given all the baggage he brings. Given the original patents expired and everyone but Yakima has their own being sold, their path to success is pretty difficult.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    This thread was started in November 2018. The original poster just attached the link to Cal's comparison and the line "Seems to be available." Throughout the thread, supporters kept saying, it is almost here.

Now 2-1/2 years later, still no one has seen one. Maybe in a year or two, we will read a review and see if it is worth twice the price as it was first touted.

mtbr member
    My thoughts are the same from almost two years ago. I debated about getting this rack but I quickly decided to just get the 1Up rack and be happy. Cal's ideas are great but his drama is not. I suspect that he came up with some good improvements and wanted to create some competition for 1Up, but put it out there as vaporware knowing that it could potentially hurt 1Up's sales even if he never made it to the market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    BXCc,

There is wisdom in your summary. From what I read, there was some bad blood between Cal and 1-UP. I kind of feel he likes the engineering part of the business, good ideas or not. Maybe he thought he could sell 1-UP to someone and then the new owners would just buy his new ideas. I think the new 1-UP Equip-D blows away the QuickRStuff at the same price.

I am interested in a light weight single bike rack. I have the two bike Thule and it weighs a ton so it is a pain to take off and put on. I am just wondering if the Equip-D at $479 is that much better than the original at $319. I wish I could find a used Quik Rack but on E-bay, sellers are asking the same price as new.

mtbr member
    BXCc,

There is wisdom in your summary. From what I read, there was some bad blood between Cal and 1-UP. I kind of feel he likes the engineering part of the business, good ideas or not. Maybe he thought he could sell 1-UP to someone and then the new owners would just buy his new ideas. I think the new 1-UP Equip-D blows away the QuickRStuff at the same price.

I am interested in a light weight single bike rack. I have the two bike Thule and it weighs a ton so it is a pain to take off and put on. I am just wondering if the Equip-D at $479 is that much better than the original at $319. I wish I could find a used Quik Rack but on E-bay, sellers are asking the same price as new.
    In reference to your lightweight single bike rack quest, I’m in the “simpler is better” camp. The single place / 2” hitch only rack is by far my favorite of all I’ve had. Which includes multiple brands and models over the years. I’m definitely not “muscular” by most people’s standards and once I loosen the rack from the hitch, it’s easily removed and carried with one hand. Unfortunately my wife called dibs on it and I’m stuck with the 2 place / 2” version. Rough life I have. I’m sure the Equip-D has some nice features but I would still get the original again. It’s just easy to use and does everything I need. Personally, I’d go with the standard and 1 add-on over the Equip-D. It may be $120 more, but you’ll gain the ability to carry a second bike and get into the “free shipping over $500” realm.

mtbr member
    I just received an email less than an hour ago with an update. It's close....real close but due to the current pandemic, they can'y ship just yet. If you can just be patient, you'll be able to buy the best bike rack in the world. It won't be long now. They will send out a new email in about two weeks with an updated shipping date.

By the way, whoever was waiting for lighter can forget that. The ONE bike platform is 35 lbs. Each add-on is 25 lbs so for a 4 bike set-up, you're looking at 110 lbs!!
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So I am in urgent need of a trailer hitch rack (just got a new SUV). I keep coming back to the 1up stuff but people please answer this question for me.

I am 99% of the time just needing a single bike tray. In fact one of the most compelling things for me about the 1up is that with just a single tray it is so low profile it could be left on the back of my SUV almost indefinitely without blocking any cameras, etc. Rarely, like once or twice a year, I might need to carry two bikes. So the question I have is, how hard is it to add/remove the second bike tray?

The Mach2 supposedly can do this change without any tools, which is very compelling for sure, but I feel a lot better about buying from 1up as a company right now at the moment. In a couple years when there are lots of reviews and Cal's business is off the ground as anything other then pure fantasy, then I would probably look at the Mach2 because of the tool-less features... But anyway with the original 1up and the equipe-D, how hard is it to swap the second bike tray in and out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewdman42 View Post
    So I am in urgent need of a trailer hitch rack (just got a new SUV). I keep coming back to the 1up stuff but people please answer this question for me.

I am 99% of the time just needing a single bike tray. In fact one of the most compelling things for me about the 1up is that with just a single tray it is so low profile it could be left on the back of my SUV almost indefinitely without blocking any cameras, etc. Rarely, like once or twice a year, I might need to carry two bikes. So the question I have is, how hard is it to add/remove the second bike tray?
    Is it as easy as the "mach 2" that is yet to be seen? Probably not. Is it hard or time consuming, definitely not. The add-on weighs 18 pounds and is put on using two bolts. I found it easiest to keep the bolts installed in the base rack at all times. I fold the rack up, loosen up the bolts, slide the add-on on to the base rack, and tighten the two bolts. It's easier with the rack folded up as the rack will sit there without you needing to hold it. If that's the worst inconvenience you have throughout your day, you have a great life.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    are you talking now about the original 1up or the equipe-D? Sounds pretty painless. I was thinking of also getting the EZ Pull if I get the original...do you think that would complicate the process of taking the second tray on and off?

mtbr member

The Mach2 supposedly can do this change without any tools, which is very compelling for sure, but I feel a lot better about buying from 1up as a company right now at the moment. In a couple years when there are lots of reviews and Cal's business is off the ground as anything other then pure fantasy, then I would probably look at the Mach2 because of the tool-less features... But anyway with the original 1up and the equipe-D, how hard is it to swap the second bike tray in and out?
    You are talking like the Mach2 is available. It really is a mute point as this situation is going on over 2 years I believe. It also isn't "Cal's business." He seems to be out of the picture. Bottom line is this. If you need a rack now, forget about the Mach2.

mtbr member
    are you talking now about the original 1up or the equipe-D? Sounds pretty painless. I was thinking of also getting the EZ Pull if I get the original...do you think that would complicate the process of taking the second tray on and off?
    The original. And yes, the ez-pull would complicate things. I’m not sure by how much, but it would add some steps. Don’t over think it. Get the original version and use it for a month or so. If you end up needing the ez-pull, It’s just as easy to add it afterwards.

mtbr member
    You don't need the EZ Pull for the 2 bike set-up, especially if you're only going to use it sparingly. I have the 2 bike rack and leave it on the car full time with the EZ Pull. I add 2 more singles to carry (4) bikes total an average of once a month and for that set-up, the EZ Pull is almost a necessity with the original 1Up. But as far as your previous question, I can add (or remove) a rack in less than 30 seconds tops.
    Carpe Diem!!

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Did ya’ll see the special intro pricing at low low price of $499?

While its better than the Equip-D Double, its still $150 more than the original

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    "America’s Greatest Bike Rack, the Quik Rack Mach2, is now in production and about to start shipping. The QuikRStuff team would like to offer you an “early adopter” discount to thank you for holding out for the latest and greatest from the Quik Rack family."

"Pay-in-full at our discounted launch price of $499 for the Mach2 hitch rack and, if you choose, $349 per Add-on (maximum 3 Add-ons). This will move you to the top of our distribution list, ensuring that you get a rack as quickly as possible.
    OR pay a deposit of $199 at the discounted launch price to secure shipment of your Mach2 as soon as paid-in-full orders have been fulfilled."

--

All the crap in this thread aside, the production model looks like CNC art. Probably worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    Did ya’ll see the special intro pricing at low low price of $499?

While its better than the Equip-D Double, its still $150 more than the original
    That is $499 for a single 2" rack. Add $349 for the add-on which means it is $848 for a double bike rack vs $749 for the Equip-D Double. So the Mach2 is more expensive.

Makes me wonder what full price will be. The $499 and $349 prices have been on their website for a bit.

I did notice that 1UP has upgraded their racks with a new hitch bar lock which looks like it also serves as a safety retention for the rack. That fixes one of the yuge issues I had with their design. The Equip-D isn't rated for offroad use which is something important to me. Super Duty Double rack is $599. At some point, you have to place a limit on how much extra to pay for extra features.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I did get it. Interesting proposition.

I don't have a problem supporting US made quality stuff, but I am not in a dire need for a new rack ATM. I like the design, ease of use etc... but I don't like loss of some of my departure angle if I swap out my ISI rack with this one.

mtbr member
    That is awfully pricey. I thought the 1up was pushing the limits of what one would be willing to pay for a top-of-the-line rack. Looks like these guys are really looking to test those limits. $1500+ is pretty steep for me for a 4-bike rack. I wonder what that price will go to after the introductory pricing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We shall see. In the future when there are lots of reviews and what not, the new Mach2 may become the next thing, but it is definitely expensive and its not reviewed yet.

I just bought the 1up heavy duty 1 bike + 1 add on and except to be very happy, it was not much less then the Mach2, but its tried and true and I expect to be very happy with it. The only thing I see that looks interesting about the Mach is that you will be able to add/remove the second bike tray without tools...but that is something I won't have to do often and the 1up heavy duty is literal a two screw 60 second operation to do it...so no big deal...

mtbr member
    I just bought the 1up heavy duty 1 bike + 1 add on and except to be very happy, it was not much less then the Mach2...
    I couldn't find a price for the 1Up Heavy Duty single rack but a 1Up Super Duty single plus Super Duty add-on is a little as $618. This configuration would cost $848 for the Mach 2. This is like 37% more...hardly insignificant.

It is interesting to see the original proposition of undercutting the 1up price and now he is 10-15% higher than their most expensive Equip-D rack...and this is their introductory pricing.

mtbr member
    With the way this unfolded with Cal, the waiting lists, promising numerous times it's just around the corner, won't be much longer now, yada, yada, yada, it is almost insulting to have changed the positioning on price to the extent it has compared to the original enticement of the rack. Good luck to them. After waiting a few years for the ever elusive latest and greatest that never materialized, I am very happy with my Monorail Solo plus add on for about $380 total.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    With the way this unfolded with Cal, the waiting lists, promising numerous times it's just around the corner, won't be much longer now, yada, yada, yada, it is almost insulting to have changed the positioning on price to the extent it has compared to the original enticement of the rack. Good luck to them. After waiting a few years for the ever elusive latest and greatest that never materialized, I am very happy with my Monorail Solo plus add on for about $380 total.
    In the time I spent waiting, picked up a Yakima Dr Tray on discount. Happy with it and it does its job. Sure it has its quirks and it isn't full aluminium and sand (we have tons) gets stuck in the places the sun down shine (thanks to the plastic). But looking at the 1UP's and how they fixed the hitch mounts for locking and retention security, I may consider them again when I get the itch for a new rack. Not going to just drop $800+ on a new rack that would only give me incremental improvements.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I couldn't find a price for the 1Up Heavy Duty single rack but a 1Up Super Duty single plus Super Duty add-on is a little as $618. This configuration would cost $848 for the Mach 2. This is like 37% more...hardly insignificant.

It is interesting to see the original proposition of undercutting the 1up price and now he is 10-15% higher than their most expensive Equip-D rack...and this is their introductory pricing.
    my total BEFORE tax:, including heavy duty 1 bike, + heavy duty add on, plus 2 bike security locks for $15/each, was $700 delivered. Its definitely less, no doubt. I'm just saying, if the new one gets all raving reviews in a year from now....I think people will pay the extra money...but time will tell, right now its just fantasy as far as I'm concerned and I needed a rack right now.

I chose the original 1up over the newer one because its a little easier to take the 2nd tray on and off...only reason. Also the heavy duty will be ready for my eMTB when get one. ;-)

flow where ever you go

rockymounts monorail ROCKS! - QUICKR is nothing unless it starts delivering.

....Good luck to them. After waiting a few years for the ever elusive latest and greatest that never materialized, I am very happy with my Monorail Solo plus add on for about $380 total.
    I had been on the endless QuickR "waiting list" but "settled" for rockymounts and became so happy with it that I no longer cared about changing to another. I bought the Monorail double because it was ~half price of 1Up and because the Quick-R seemed it would never materialize. I have LOVED the rockymounts MonoRail. It is very solid, no movement, no rust, no worn parts, attractive (IMO), and quick and easy to use with all bikes, etc. Rockymounts should get more press!!!

The only reason I'm reading this thread is because I was rear-ended on the highway and need a new rack. (FYI, the rack is so solid it saved my 4runner and my Ibis Mojo from damage while causing major damage to the culprit, a Ford Explorer).

The trouble is, the monorail (and every other decent rack, including 1UpUSA!) is sold out due to Covid19. Ugh.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The rockymounts monorail is the old apples to oranges. This thread was sort of framed around the racks that hold both tires. The monorail is more like the Thule T2 Pro.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Lmfao

We are beginning to take orders tomorrow, July 7, 2020. If you are receiving this email, you are a presale/waiting list recipient with special pricing before we start selling to the public.

As per Cal’s promise to you, we have saved your place on the waiting list!

Thank you for patience. You are number XXXX on the waiting list of approximately 6300 people based on your first signup date from before QuikRStuff when Cal started the new design to June 30, 2020.

You will be receiving an email with your unique link to purchase one Mach2 and up to 3 Add-ons. It is only for you and not to be shared . We are trying to respect the integrity of the waiting list and everyone’s patience.

Pay-in-full at our discounted launch price of $499 for the Mach2 hitch rack and, if you choose, $349 per Add-on (maximum 3 Add-ons). This will move you to the top of our distribution list, ensuring that you get a rack as quickly as possible.
    OR pay a deposit of $199 at the discounted launch price to secure shipment of your Mach2 and any Add-Ons and as soon as paid-in-full orders have been fulfilled.
    OR do nothing. We’ll remove you from the email/waiting list, but you’ll still be able to buy a Mach2 at regular retail prices when it’s available to everyone. Stay tuned via our blog posts, emails and social media.

You’ll have 72 hours from the release of the email to make your purchase, so don’t delay. Everyone has been waiting patiently and we want to get the rack into everyone’s hands asap.

We are trying to move things forward efficiently after the long wait and begin the process of building out the factory efficiently, yet conservatively.

Thank you again,

$848 for a 2 bike rack is the discounted price. LMFAO. 3 years later and definitely not cheaper. I bet this discounted price is 50% off of normal retail LOLOLOLOLOL

Just checked and the full retail price for a 2 bike rack is $928.00. We' all got to thank Cal for knocking $80.00 of the full retail price after waiting three years. lololololol

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by camdelle View Post
    $848 for a 2 bike rack is the discounted price. LMFAO. 3 years later and definitely not cheaper. I bet this discounted price is 50% off of normal retail LOLOLOLOLOL

Just checked and the full retail price for a 2 bike rack is $928.00. We' all got to thank Cal for knocking $80.00 of the full retail price after waiting three years. lololololol
    This is going to be a pass for me. I think it looks like a really great product and if I didn't have a rack I would consider it but I am not hurting for a new rack. I will wait and see how the reviews turn out. Think waiting for reviews is worth spending the extra $80. If it was more towards a $200 discount, I might of shelled out to be a guinea pig. Who knows, if demand isn't high, they might have to lower their price later.

Also, their website has updated and sounds like Cal is not an owner in QuikRStuff. QuikRStuff is licensing the design from Cal as their first product with the plans of bringing different products to market in the future. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

mtbr member
    Too much, too little, too late. For me anyway. I was #1395 on the list lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Too much, too little, too late. For me anyway. I was #1395 on the list lol.
    I'm number 36, haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You may be the very first buyer of the Mach 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I gave up and ordered a KUAT July 3rd. Enough is enough and I just cant trust this company. Not really the company actually. It's Cal and his shenanigans that I wont go near.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I think anyone comparing prices with 1upUSA needs to make a more comparable comparison with all things included.

- 1upUSA 2 bike rack in black = $649 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

+ License plate holder = $49 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/license-plate-holder-2/

+ Hit bar stop = $11.99 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-bar-stop/

+ EZ Pull = $69 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/

+ Fat Spacer Kit = $34 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/fat-tire-spacer-kit/

+ Quick Slide = $34 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-slide/

Grand total = $846.99.

This is all for an inferior product and without the ability to run a single rack set-up. Granted, you may not need all of those bells and whistles, but this is closer to an apples to apples comparison.

If you chose to start off with a single 1up rack and build from there, your total would cost $875.99 with the max capacity of running a total of 3 racks only. So now your price is higher with less loading ability.

QuikRStuff may have a high initial cost, but I wager that they are warranted and you are getting a set up that fixes all of the flaws of the original 1up rack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Let's Roll View Post
    I think anyone comparing prices with 1upUSA needs to make a more comparable comparison with all things included.

- 1upUSA 2 bike rack in black = $649 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...ble-bike-rack/

+ License plate holder = $49 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/license-plate-holder-2/

+ Hit bar stop = $11.99 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-bar-stop/

+ EZ Pull = $69 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/

+ Fat Spacer Kit = $34 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/fat-tire-spacer-kit/

+ Quick Slide = $34 https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-slide/

Grand total = $846.99.

This is all for an inferior product and without the ability to run a single rack set-up. Granted, you may not need all of those bells and whistles, but this is closer to an apples to apples comparison.

If you chose to start off with a single 1up rack and build from there, your total would cost $875.99 with the max capacity of running a total of 3 racks only. So now your price is higher with less loading ability.

QuikRStuff may have a high initial cost, but I wager that they are warranted and you are getting a set up that fixes all of the flaws of the original 1up rack.
    It is interesting that this is a new account and the only posts are supporting a new product on the market...and calls the competing product inferior.

Shilling aside, I like the Mach2 rack design and if I needed a new rack I would consider it. I'm a sucker for machine aluminum. But as a consumer, there are a lot of risk with going with a new company with their first product to market.

Yes, can agree the Mach2 has incremental upgrades over the 1upUSA racks. Whether those upgrades are worth the add-on prices 1upUSA charges is highly questionable and as you pointed out, some of those add-ons are not needed. So apples to apples is in the eye of the beholder.

The price for the Mach2, even with the intro pricing, is steep compared to the rest of the market. Where a consumer can elect certain add-ons with 1upUSA, the add-ons are locked in at a premium with the Mach2. A company can slap whatever price tag they want on a product. It is up to the consumers to determine if it is worth it.

Bringing up warranty: This is a new company with zero sales, customer interactions, or time in market. There are no guarantees that QuikRStuff will exist in 12 or 24 months. Not saying that I expect the company to fail as I hope they don't. It is just a fact consumers face with new companies. Another part of this, is that if a consumer decides to buy into the Mach2 ecosystem with the intentions of buying additional add-on racks in the future (due to the high cost), there is no guarantee parts will be available later down the road. QuikRStuff and Cal have already talked about the difficulties of bringing the Mach2 to market. Business is hard and the economy is weird right now. There is a lot of risk to companies, especially new ones. This is a risk to consumers that there will not be future warranty or parts available.

I really like the rack design and think it is a great product. Just not being enticed enough to take the risk and pay a premium over other options.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    No question my post seems skeptical but I assure you I have no affiliation with either company. I'm number 59xx on the list and plan on buying in as soon as the pre-orders open up. I'm a consumer like the rest and have done all the comparisons and feel confident enough in my decision to buy. I just wanted to clear up the pricing and why I think they listed it as such.

No doubt being an early adopter has many risks, as you have pointed out. Any prospective buyer needs to weigh these based on their comfort/priority level.

Regarding my use of the word inferior, I believe Cal knows more about the original design than anyone. I don't believe he would make changes just for the sake of being different. All the changes that were made addresses many of the complaints that other reviewers have already pointed out. Simply search reviews for the 1up rack and the cons listed are quite consistent.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Looks like a great rack. I was excited for it 2 years ago when it was going to be cheaper than 1up. It looks like it would cost me close to $1600 for a 4 bike setup. Hopefully, they are successful and the price drops as sales increase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    From the notice sent to the people on the wait list, you can tell the QuickRStuff company is lead by a marketing person from the now defunct time share condo industry. They are only offering the discount for 72 hours so don't think, just buy now and compare later. Also, paying up front in full is a real risk. Most companies would only charge once shipped.

QuickRStuff Mach2 addressed customer complaints with the Original. However, the way Cal changed the designs are still inferior to other methods.

I would like to see a bike rack shootout with the optional racks that have the same design target of holding both wheels. I think the options are:

1-UP Original
    1-Up Equip-D
    Thule Helium
    Saris MTR
    QuickRStuff Mach 2 (Still a mystery)

What others am I missing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    From the notice sent to the people on the wait list, you can tell the QuickRStuff company is lead by a marketing person from the now defunct time share condo industry. They are only offering the discount for 72 hours so don't think, just buy now and compare later. Also, paying up front in full is a real risk. Most companies would only charge once shipped.

QuickRStuff Mach2 addressed customer complaints with the Original. However, the way Cal changed the designs are still inferior to other methods.

I would like to see a bike rack shootout with the optional racks that have the same design target of holding both wheels. I think the options are:

1-UP Original
    1-Up Equip-D
    Thule Helium
    Saris MTR

What are all these companies only charge when shipped? None of the bikes/frames I've bought. The 2k fridge I just ordered already charged, will be here in 2 weeks. Still waiting on the Vans I've already paid for to ship. The Grill I treated myself to for Fathers day took 3 weeks for stock to come back in, guess when I was charged.
    I could go on on. Not defending the QuickRack, I think they're nuts and bound to fail at the current pricing.

I think it's safe to say companies that don't charge till shipped are in the minority.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    No doubt being an early adopter has many risks, as you have pointed out. Any prospective buyer needs to weigh these based on their comfort/priority level.
    Right now the rack is vaporware. That is the problem. Even if it doesn't keep that vaporware status, the question is if users will be left holding the bag if the company folds after 6 months.

Compare that to 1UP, which has quirks, but has been in business for years.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    What are all these companies only charge when shipped? None of the bikes/frames I've bought. The 2k fridge I just ordered already charged, will be here in 2 weeks. Still waiting on the Vans I've already paid for to ship. The Grill I treated myself to for Fathers day took 3 weeks for stock to come back in, guess when I was charged.
    I could go on on. Not defending the QuickRack, I think they're nuts and bound to fail at the current pricing.

I think it's safe to say companies that don't charge till shipped are in the minority.
    What jimglassford is getting at is that QuikRStuff is being super shady and there is no claim of stock or expected shipping date. This is a straight up presale. Joining the presale puts you first on the distribution list. When/if they ship? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikRStuff Email
    This will move you to the top of our distribution list, ensuring that you get a rack as quickly as possible
    Quote Originally Posted by QuikRStuff Preorder Invitation Page
    PRESALE ONLY
    Their website is ripe with doublespeak.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikRStuff Preorder Invitation Page
    Full warranty included
    Awesome! A full warranty! But...how long is that warranty? Doesn't say lifetime. Full 90 day warranty? Full 7 day warranty? Full warranty on parts only? Maybe I missed it but that quote is the only time I see warranty on their website.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Feels like a Kickstarter project.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Idawho View Post
    Feels like a Kickstarter project.
    At least with Kickstarter, there is usually a decent pricing benefit for being a backer.

since 4/10/2009
    At least with Kickstarter, there is usually a decent pricing benefit for being a backer.
    Not to mention, I have a feeling it this had been an ACTUAL kickstarter, there'd have been product in use by now.

With all the kickstarter failures and setbacks, it seems like most good ideas get good funding and come to pass with minimal problems. Maybe some production issues that contribute to some minor delays, but that seems to be about it.

mtbr member

1-UP Original
    1-Up Equip-D
    Thule Helium
    Saris MTR

Inferior how?

Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    Right now the rack is vaporware. That is the problem. Even if it doesn't keep that vaporware status, the question is if users will be left holding the bag if the company folds after 6 months.

This, along with the price are the main reasons I am not ordering. They have zero reputation and are charging top dollar.

What jimglassford is getting at is that QuikRStuff is being super shady and there is no claim of stock or expected shipping date. This is a straight up presale. Joining the presale puts you first on the distribution list. When/if they ship? Who knows.
    Simple. If they don't ship, do a chargeback.

This is supposed to be discounted pricing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What I want to know is who is going to plop down $800 plus for a new rack when they already have one?

Unless your rear-ended and your rack is trashed...I don't see many of us going to spend that kind of cash just for a new rack - bike rack that is....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    What I want to know is who is going to plop down $800 plus for a new rack when they already have one?

Unless your rear-ended and your rack is trashed...I don't see many of us going to spend that kind of cash just for a new rack - bike rack that is....
    You could say the same about 1up.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    The 1-UP and the Mach2 use that goofy ball to secure the rack into the receiver. That is a very small point of contact where as the others use a wedge. The Mach2 uses the lever to tighten the hitch into the receiver and then you can pass a lock through to rattle around. The Thules use an integrated knob with a built in lock. However, this would require a little more thinking outside of the box for someone who only knows CNC machining with simple designs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

I currently have a Thule two place rack that is just to large and heavy for the single bike I carry. I am in the market for a single, so more in the $400 range. However, I have read a number of comments on the amount of sway in the 1-UP USA rack. The newer Equip-D supposedly has an anti-sway system built in. Than again, I read a recent review where the person pointed out that the Original rack had less sway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You could say the same about 1up.
    Yes but I assume nobody waited 3 years to buy a rack...if you already have a rack that's not crushed, are you going to drop $800 on a new one when you likely already have at least $350 in one that you've been using for the last 3 years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I currently have a Thule two place rack that is just to large and heavy for the single bike I carry. I am in the market for a single, so more in the $400 range. However, I have read a number of comments on the amount of sway in the 1-UP USA rack. The newer Equip-D supposedly has an anti-sway system built in. Than again, I read a recent review where the person pointed out that the Original rack had less sway.
    Sway - I have the original 1UP...it doesn't move at all...it uses the compression ball thing...assumed that was the same today as on their current models.

Mine doesn't even have the little ridges in the cam lock things that open/close the arms on the tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The 1-UP and the Mach2 use that goofy ball to secure the rack into the receiver. That is a very small point of contact where as the others use a wedge. The Mach2 uses the lever to tighten the hitch into the receiver and then you can pass a lock through to rattle around. The Thules use an integrated knob with a built in lock. However, this would require a little more thinking outside of the box for someone who only knows CNC machining with simple designs.
    Am I the only one that doesn't care about security of my bike rack. No theif is going to yank your rack over the 3K bike that's on it. And no cable lock is going to deter them - you can rip through that with a cordless angle grinder in 30 seconds and be off with your bike. Cable locks only keep honest people honest. If you really don't want them to take your bike then you need a huge hardened chain that'll take some time to cut through...and at that point your 40lbs of chain is going to be doing some damage to your bikes (assuming you leave it on while driving).

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post

Definitely something I considered hard. Any buyer is definitely putting in a leap of faith, which I am willing to do. This is a rack that if proven as quality as the original, will last for many years to come. Spread the cost difference over that time span and I felt the improvements were more than worth it. Every buyer needs to weight their own priorities.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Pretty silly statement. Are you suggesting that everyone in the world already owns a rack? The industry is growing and there are always new riders who need a new rack. Also, not all racks are built to last a lifetime. Many fail over time and eventually need replacing. Not to mention those who now earn more and can afford to upgrade from their first budget rack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Wrong. You're referencing the video that Cal posted 2 years ago showing that. There have been many updates along the way. The QuikRStuff rack has 2 wedges vs 1 ball to tighten it down into the hitch. The lever itself also has a built in lock similar to the Thule, but simpler to use as you don't need to use a key to lock it (only to unlock).

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Wrong. You're referencing the video that Cal posted 2 years ago showing that. There have been many updates along the way. The QuikRStuff rack has 2 wedges vs 1 ball to tighten it down into the hitch. The lever itself also has a built in lock similar to the Thule, but simpler to use as you don't need to use a key to lock it (only to unlock).
    Where are you getting these design changes. I looked at the QuikRStuff web site and did not see any pictures of the wedges nor any description.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Where are you getting these design changes. I looked at the QuikRStuff web site and did not see any pictures of the wedges nor any description.
    I'm wondering the same. Couldn't find any info on the hitch mount. Before they updated the website, there was a pic showing the safety latch pin which I thought was a weird idea. It will interfere with some people's vehicles due to clearance. Maybe that is an old design and it was changed.

The safety retention on the 1upUSA rack was one of the reasons I didn't buy one of those racks. Velcro strap is crazy. But 1upUSA updated their racks recently with a slot for a traditional hitch pin and think it is a great idea. Most people use locking hitch pins so that takes care of locking the rack and providing a secondary retention.

QuikRStuff said on Facebook that they would make a video to showoff the rack when they have a production version available. Would of been nice to provide that prior to asking for orders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    There was a CAD diagram on their previous site before this week's update that showed the 2 wedges. In this picture on their site under the faq page, you can see the locking mechanism now built into the anti-rattle/locking hitch lever.

Quik-Rack Mach 2-a61ffe54-36ad-4568-a722-5d3c310fb275.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I'm wondering the same. Couldn't find any info on the hitch mount. Before they updated the website, there was a pic showing the safety latch pin which I thought was a weird idea. It will interfere with some people's vehicles due to clearance. Maybe that is an old design and it was changed.

The safety retention on the 1upUSA rack was one of the reasons I didn't buy one of those racks. Velcro strap is crazy. But 1upUSA updated their racks recently with a slot for a traditional hitch pin and think it is a great idea. Most people use locking hitch pins so that takes care of locking the rack and providing a secondary retention.
    See their FAQ page for more info, explains your concern there.
    Quik-Rack Mach 2-8f2e9164-c1d3-4c8d-9b0d-f550ca3320f2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    There was a CAD diagram on their previous site before this week's update that showed the 2 wedges. In this picture on their site under the faq page, you can see the locking mechanism now built into the anti-rattle/locking hitch lever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A61FFE54-36AD-4568-A722-5D3C310FB275.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	1347473
    Why did you eliminate the picture with the two wedges? I would have thought it would help potential buyers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

QuikRStuff said on Facebook that they would make a video to showoff the rack when they have a production version available. Would of been nice to provide that prior to asking for orders.
    On the strap, I suppose it would help if all riders posted number of hours of use with or without the strap and the number of times the rack has slipped backward or fallen off.

Hours are likely in the millions, and slippage or fallen off likely very close to zero.

I used mine for months without the strap when it was brand new because I didn’t read the instructions before installing. It wasn’t until I read through more posts on MTBR that I learned the purpose of the strap. (No slips no departing from the hitch)

In honor of safteyism and scienticians, I am going to put a face mask on my 1upusa this weekend.

mtbr member
    Am I the only one that doesn't care about security of my bike rack. No theif is going to yank your rack over the 3K bike that's on it. And no cable lock is going to deter them - you can rip through that with a cordless angle grinder in 30 seconds and be off with your bike. Cable locks only keep honest people honest. If you really don't want them to take your bike then you need a huge hardened chain that'll take some time to cut through...and at that point your 40lbs of chain is going to be doing some damage to your bikes (assuming you leave it on while driving).
    I don't lock mine either. It's easy enough to take off that the rack doesn't stay on my vehicle anyway.

As for the strap safety device, it works fine. All it's doing is stopping the rack from sliding out if the ball fails. There isn't much force placed on the strap even if you never tighten the rack. Yes it will move but it won't come out and drop off your car. I've tried pulling the rack out without tightening the hitch and it's not going anywhere. Why do you need something with 500 pounds of holding strength when 100 pounds is all that's required? (not exact numbers, just an example)

Yes, the ball on the original 1up is one point of contact. But it pushes two complete sides of the hitch bar to the inside of the hitch. On paper there are better ways, but in practice, this is more than sufficient and is super simple to use. Any rack that uses a standard hitch pin will rock like crazy or you need to use the threaded type like Thule uses.

I like all of the upgrades that this new rack has and it is appealing to me. But to be truthful, the original rack isn't lacking anything for my needs. I was on the original waiting list but I ended up getting the 1up stuff 2 years ago. I'm glad I didn't wait.

mtbr member
    Why was the post I made yesterday deleted?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Why was the post I made yesterday deleted?
    The post in the other thread?

https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-ra...l#post14863207

mtbr member
    Good catch. My bad. Didn't realize that wasn't the original thread lol. Didn't realize we needed two threads on basically the same thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Good catch. My bad. Didn't realize that wasn't the original thread lol. Didn't realize we needed two threads on basically the same thing.
    Definitely don't need two threads on this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    In honor of safteyism and scienticians, I am going to put a face mask on my 1upusa this weekend.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No need to. The WHO came out a few days ago and acknowledged the data is actually showing asymptomatic transmission is very rare. I'm sure it's the same for your asymptomatic rack. Let that sucker breath.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My 72 hour window to order expired but the link still works. Doubt they would block sales. Without sharing the link, or pointing out the obvious, but the presale URL has two interesting variables.

On Facebook, they said they plan to ship in two weeks. Would think that would be something to let people know when preordering. They also plan to put out a video but only after they have a production model to show.

mtbr member
    My 72 hour window to order expired but the link still works. Doubt they would block sales. Without sharing the link, or pointing out the obvious, but the presale URL has two interesting variables.

On Facebook, they said they plan to ship in two weeks. Would think that would be something to let people know when preordering. They also plan to put out a video but only after they have a production model to show.
    2 weeks? So they need the money first to make them? They haven't made one yet? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    2 weeks? So they need the money first to make them? They haven't made one yet? I'm confused.
    The link they sent out has "PRESALE ONLY" so it appears they don't have them in stock but the presale link doesn't have any expected ship dates. Their Instagram account has a pic of some of the components on shelves so they are at least stocking some components. If they are waiting on components, who knows when they will actually be delivering. Some argue that the cycling industry is sold out purely due to demand but supply chains have a yuge factor. I have a 3D printer that won't be delivered for 3 months. High demand but heavy supply chain constraints. Mach2 tried to come to market before but was delayed due to supplier issues. Who knows when it will actually deliver.

since 4/10/2009
    Some argue that the cycling industry is sold out purely due to demand but supply chains have a yuge factor. I have a 3D printer that won't be delivered for 3 months. High demand but heavy supply chain constraints. Mach2 tried to come to market before but was delayed due to supplier issues. Who knows when it will actually deliver.
    It's definitely not a pure demand scenario. Supply chains are wack. I've tried to order things that showed a delayed shipping date (which I expected) but then changed over to "not available anytime soon, and we don't know if this product will ever be available again" status.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    It's definitely not a pure demand scenario. Supply chains are wack. I've tried to order things that showed a delayed shipping date (which I expected) but then changed over to "not available anytime soon, and we don't know if this product will ever be available again" status.
    At least we have toilet paper though, haha. Some of the local stores have been out of regular paper towels though...

For the Mach2, Cal was having supply issues even before the 'rona due to increasing material cost. Maybe the new company has things together better but until they start rolling out the door, there are no guarantees.

I ended up sending an email to QuikRStuff in reply to the preorder offer. I do like the rack design and hope they do well. Feel they have done a really bad job marketing the rack and pointed out the basic details they haven't shared with prospective buyers before asking for money. Basic stuff like warranty details, hitch mount design, lock designs, etc. Stuff that will be clear when they have their demonstration video. I'm still open to purchasing one in the future and hope they get their act together, haha.

While writing the email I did notice they have the weights for the racks and add-ons listed under details. The single Mach2 is listed heavier than the 1up single Super Duty rack (~4 lbs) and would be interesting to get a real world measurement for comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pretty silly statement. Are you suggesting that everyone in the world already owns a rack? The industry is growing and there are always new riders who need a new rack. Also, not all racks are built to last a lifetime. Many fail over time and eventually need replacing. Not to mention those who now earn more and can afford to upgrade from their first budget rack.
    Nope, nowhere did I say the world already owns a rack.
    Not silly really - what I'm asking is if you already have invested in a rack - are you going to go out and buy a new $800 rack. At this price point you aren't targeting newcomers to the sport....so my assumption is they, not being new, have a rack already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I believe high end racks do have a limited customer base. Let's use another start-up company that was hailed as the next industry boom only to go bust. Go-Pro was the company that everyone wanted to buy into during the IPO as the sales were unlimited. After a few years, sales tanked and the stock was worth a fraction of the IPO. Analysts reviewed the problem and it was determined that once the people who actually could use an action camera actually owned one, there was little need to upgrade. I know this is not apples to oranges but Go-Pro had an innovative product while the bike racks are nothing new and only slightly innovative.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm sure he will sell some of his racks eventually, but they are not going to blow off the shelves. I got an email saying I am like 9000+ in line on the waiting list. People have been signing up to get on that list for years. I already bought a 1up and will not be buying the Mach2 because its too late now, I don't need it. As people come up needing a rack, some of them will buy the Mach2 and we'll see how it compares but if that guy thought for one second he was going to sell 9000 racks this year, then they are in for trouble as a company...its not going to go like that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm sure he will sell some of his racks eventually, but they are not going to blow off the shelves. I got an email saying I am like 9000+ in line on the waiting list. People have been signing up to get on that list for years. I already bought a 1up and will not be buying the Mach2 because its too late now, I don't need it. As people come up needing a rack, some of them will buy the Mach2 and we'll see how it compares but if that guy thought for one second he was going to sell 9000 racks this year, then they are in for trouble as a company...its not going to go like that.
    Especially without even having made 1

flow where ever you go

this rack should be on Indiegogo - a place to give money for empty marketing

So... even though I asked them to take me off the endless waiting list, I'm still on it. After years, they say, "here it comes! ... "just send us money" and so I inquire, for fun...

"Sounds good except you don't say where you are with manufacturing nor when a a paying person will actually receive the rack. If the waiting is over, I need more details about what that really means ... b4 sending money."

Their answer was honest sounding yet very vague, IMO. To me it looks a lot like an Indiegogo campaign response that is positive and yet confirms the wait can continue indefinitely.

"Valid question!

The first "order now" emails went out to our first 50 waitlisters and those orders are expected to ship out in 2 weeks. After that, shipping is a function of how many pre-orders we get and then how many machines we can lease to mass produce these bad boys even faster! While our first batch might be small for quality control reasons, we are planning to ramp up production big time if pre-orders are strong. We may get to your position faster than anticipated, so don't get bummed out quite yet

Feel free to reach back out a little later and we may be able to provide an estimate when production is more consistent."

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This sounds like it has been a secret government experiment to see how long people will wait for a promise to be fulfilled, or how long they will keep obeying senseless commands to stay in their homes. Cal is likely a cover for an evil scientist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts View Post
    So... even though I asked them to take me off the endless waiting list, I'm still on it. After years, they say, "here it comes! ... "just send us money" and so I inquire, for fun...

"Sounds good except you don't say where you are with manufacturing nor when a a paying person will actually receive the rack. If the waiting is over, I need more details about what that really means ... b4 sending money."

Their answer was honest sounding yet very vague, IMO. To me it looks a lot like an Indiegogo campaign response that is positive and yet confirms the wait can continue indefinitely.

"Valid question!

The first "order now" emails went out to our first 50 waitlisters and those orders are expected to ship out in 2 weeks. After that, shipping is a function of how many pre-orders we get and then how many machines we can lease to mass produce these bad boys even faster! While our first batch might be small for quality control reasons, we are planning to ramp up production big time if pre-orders are strong. We may get to your position faster than anticipated, so don't get bummed out quite yet

Feel free to reach back out a little later and we may be able to provide an estimate when production is more consistent."
    What could possibly go wrong?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    They responded to my email by creating an FAQ post on Facebook. Stuff that they still haven't updated on their own website. Drives me crazy when you have to go to their website, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter to get more details.

https://www.facebook.com/quikrstuff

They did say the warranty is lifetime on manufacturing defects. They also informed me that I could preorder with my credit card to retain the ability to easily cancel my preorder. :/

방랑외국인
    Is the Mach 2 and 1up the only hitch racks on the market that can easily change between 1 and 2 bikes? I'd like to keep a 1 bike rack always on, and on weekends add another.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Is the Mach 2 and 1up the only hitch racks on the market that can easily change between 1 and 2 bikes? I'd like to keep a 1 bike rack always on, and on weekends add another.
    I have the Monorail Solo and an add on for when I take 2 bikes. Although you need a socket for 2 bolts it is a piece of cake. I keep the socket in my vehicle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    QuikRStuff uploaded a video to Facebook showing the locking of the rack to the hitch and add-ons.

https://www.facebook.com/quikrstuff/

The Facebook post says if we go to their Instagram page there is some sort of countdown for the release (nothing new on there yet). They did update the FAQ on their website to say the first 100 are to ship starting today.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I do not see a video, only the pictures generated from the model.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I do not see a video, only the pictures generated from the model.
    Looks like they deleted and reposted. It is there again.

SoCal mtbr
    Giving a consumer 72hrs to make a purchase after they have been waiting for 3 years is not a good sign of this company’s moral compass

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi View Post
    Giving a consumer 72hrs to make a purchase after they have been waiting for 3 years is not a good sign of this company’s moral compass
    Their marketing is horrible. But my 72 hours is well past and my link still works. So perhaps the 72 hours was only to reserve to be in the first batch of 50.

SoCal mtbr
    If you can’t see all the red flags yet...

The company stringing people along saying “it’s almost ready, just a few more months” for the past 3 years.

The price changing from $269 to $499 now.

They are rushing you to preorder without the actual product being ready.

The bad history Cal had with 1up and Cal claiming his company was “stolen” from him and now this new company named “Quick R Stuff” which is not associated with Cal or at least distancing themselves from Cal.

When Cal first announced this QuickRack he tried using the same 1up name with some slight changes, then he went to QuickRack and now Quick R Stuff?

Well all I can say is I’ll be sitting hear with popcorn when the shit show starts and people are wondering where their $500-$1550 (1-4 bike carrier) bike rack is that they already paid for. I hope people don’t get screwed over but all the signs are pointing towards exactly that.

Also, that’s a lot of money to shell out for an unproven product when there are already other more established options out on the market. The bike rack is expensive but so are the bikes going on them. Hope none of these new QuickRacks fail cause I’m betting the company will have some kind of lame excuse just like they have been using so far...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi View Post
    If you can’t see all the red flags yet...

The company stringing people along saying “it’s almost ready, just a few more months” for the past 3 years.

The price changing from $269 to $499 now.

They are rushing you to preorder without the actual product being ready.

The bad history Cal had with 1up and Cal claiming his company was “stolen” from him and now this new company named “Quick R Stuff” which is not associated with Cal or at least distancing themselves from Cal.

When Cal first announced this QuickRack he tried using the same 1up name with some slight changes, then he went to QuickRack and now Quick R Stuff?

Well all I can say is I’ll be sitting hear with popcorn when the shit show starts and people are wondering where their $500-$1550 (1-4 bike carrier) bike rack is that they already paid for. I hope people don’t get screwed over but all the signs are pointing towards exactly that.

Also, that’s a lot of money to shell out for an unproven product when there are already other more established options out on the market. The bike rack is expensive but so are the bikes going on them. Hope none of these new QuickRacks fail cause I’m betting the company will have some kind of lame excuse just like they have been using so far...
    There are tons of red flags, haha. That is why I passed on their great offer of being an early guinea pig to only save $80. I was number 30 on the wait list so I am WELL aware of all of the issues and drama.

That said, I do like the rack design and there are a few design features that would be handy for me that aren't available on other racks. During the long wait I bought a rack that works well though. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it gets the job done. They failed at building a good image of their company and product. There isn't any reasonable benefit to taking the risk. But they told me I could use a credit card for maximum protection...

Who knows, maybe they actually deliver now that there is a company selling it that isn't being ran by Cal. I may consider it down the road. Black Friday 2021?

SoCal mtbr
    There are tons of red flags, haha. That is why I passed on their great offer of being an early guinea pig to only save $80. I was number 30 on the wait list so I am WELL aware of all of the issues and drama.

That said, I do like the rack design and there are a few design features that would be handy for me that aren't available on other racks. During the long wait I bought a rack that works well though. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it gets the job done. They failed at building a good image of their company and product. There isn't any reasonable benefit to taking the risk. But they told me I could use a credit card for maximum protection...

Who knows, maybe they actually deliver now that there is a company selling it that isn't being ran by Cal. I may consider it down the road. Black Friday 2021?
    Hahahahaha yes Black Friday 2021 will probably be a good idea.

I’m happy with my 1up so no worries here. I have the heavy duty single with a couple of add ons for when I need to shuttle. I’d say 98% of the time I’m only using the single rack and it stays on my Sequoia 100% of the time so none of these “new features” benefit me since I don’t remove/install the rack over and over again. My 2 add ons stay together and it takes me about 5min to attach it to my rack so not a bid deal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Lol. I’ve been on Cal’s waiting list since 2017. I finally received a link to actually order the rack with my real money...and...they expect to ship it in six months!!!! Are you kidding me. They made a big fuss about how units were actually shipping. Seems like there were a small handful of racks available and now they are completely out again. Come on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffsta View Post
    Lol. I’ve been on Cal’s waiting list since 2017. I finally received a link to actually order the rack with my real money...and...they expect to ship it in six months!!!! Are you kidding me. They made a big fuss about how units were actually shipping. Seems like there were a small handful of racks available and now they are completely out again. Come on.
    Look, its a small company ramping up. It’s largely the end of the biking season in North America (retail will start tailing off shortly). They’ve made a great rack and it IS a big accomplishment to start shipping a new product - not an easy task by any stretch. They’re doing pretty well - give them a break. I had given up hope this thing was ever going to see the light of day and now here it is.

I was around 900 on the list and I got one about a month ago. There’s 6000 on the list and they are not managing the orders anymore - so they’ve said “6 months” to have an expectation that they can beat.

I also have a 1UpUSA rack and I can tell you that this thing beats it in every way. It’s worth waiting for especially since we’re near the end of the season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffsta View Post
    Funny you're slamming $600 for a rack being delivered 6 months from now, yet in our sport people regularly drop 3k on a frame and 5k+ on a full bike and have to wait months.

Not defending them, but a stupid thing to pick on considering the sport we're in.
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Funny you're slamming $600 for a rack being delivered 6 months from now, yet in our sport people regularly drop 3k on a frame and 5k+ on a full bike and have to wait months.

Not defending them, but a stupid thing to pick on considering the sport we're in.

I just did the math. $1700 to carry 4 bikes. That's a whole lot of Nope! But I've also never spent 5k on a bike. I'm fine with GX level, aluminum frames, and past year models. I'm thinking NSR is the way to go. I loved the concept of this rack and was seriously interested in it when it was supposed to be cheaper than 1up. I'm sure it's a finely crafted rack, but I'd rather put that money towards my next bike. They are going to have a hard time distinguishing themselves from Cal and his shenanigans.

mtbr member

The original release date was December 2017 and they've been pushing it back ever since.

If a bike company announced a new model in 2017 and continually pushed ship dates back to 2021, people would be similarly unimpressed.

I'll always root for startups working to advance the state of the art. I was holding out for a Quick-Rack Mach 2 for a couple of years, but finally gave up waiting. At this point, other racks on the market get the job done at a much cheaper price point and they're available right away with virtually guaranteed support.

The QuikRStuff rack might be a nice boutique bike rack option whenever it actually ships, but at this point no one should be waiting on one as their primary bike rack. I'd approach this like a Kickstarter project that you want to support, not a product that you'd like to order from an established company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1UP USA drama with Cal Phillips

If you're interested in seeing some history with Cal and 1UP USA, it's out for public consumption here: https://www.1upusahistory.com/

I have no connection nor insider info, just ran across it in a Google search.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by diylighter View Post
    If you're interested in seeing some history with Cal and 1UP USA, it's out for public consumption here: https://www.1upusahistory.com/

I have no connection nor insider info, just ran across it in a Google search.
    That has been posted before.

Since you didn't look back at previous comments regarding Cal, let me get you up to speed. Cal has a reputation in the WI/MN biking community. I've described as an "absent minded professor", others have used more aggressive terminology. Regardless, as the result of Cal's lackadaisical attitude to things that doesn't concern him, he often finds himself caught off guard. Then comes the other part of Cal's personality - the temper. The link you posted shows that off pretty well.

Assuming everything in Cal's account is true (and it probably isn't) think about it for a moment: By his own admission Cal allowed an employee to own and manage substantial amounts of his own IP. Cal made some kind of deal where an employee believed they bought the company. Then when Cal tried to "get back" his company, his own lawyer (!) explained that wasn't possible. Which, at best, is poor decisions and business management that allowed an employee to worm greater amounts of the company from Cal. At worst, its a person that didn't care about the business and gave larger and larger chunks of it to an employee and, when realized he didn't own it anymore, stomped around like a petulant child.

Whether a person gets a 1Up rack or the Quick-Rack, that is up to them. But I do hope the people of QuikRStuff either licensed Cal's IP or bought it outright, because dealing with Cal in the long run might not be the most fun thing ever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Idawho View Post
    I just did the math. $1700 to carry 4 bikes. That's a whole lot of Nope! But I've also never spent 5k on a bike. I'm fine with GX level, aluminum frames, and past year models. I'm thinking NSR is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I still have my orignal 1UP like jbsmith. Works perfectly and looks great. I was initially interested in Cal's rack but I have zero interest now...regardless of who makes it. Cal just comes off as being bitter (after selling his company) and almost shady and I think the guys at 1UP are stand-up guys. I'll get another 1UP...maybe that D-Equipe soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
    The QuikRStuff rack might be a nice boutique bike rack option whenever it actually ships, but at this point no one should be waiting on one as their primary bike rack. I'd approach this like a Kickstarter project that you want to support, not a product that you'd like to order from an established company.
    Looks like some units shipped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8f5AHHKLqM

Wonder why no-one has created some plans for using 80/20 extruded tubing though. They sell 2" and 1.5" bars that will fit hitches no problem and should have no problems with a 40 lb bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Looks like some units shipped?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8f5AHHKLqM

Wonder why no-one has created some plans for using 80/20 extruded tubing though. They sell 2" and 1.5" bars that will fit hitches no problem and should have no problems with a 40 lb bike.
    Use the tubing for what purpose?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Use the tubing for what purpose?
    Use 80/20 Tubing to build a single bike rack / hitch mounted.

The Series 10 Profiles have 2x2 inch bars, and 1x1 bars, and dynamic pivots. Somebody can lego one up - lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

The Series 10 Profiles have 2x2 inch bars, and 1x1 bars, and dynamic pivots. Somebody can lego one up - lol.
    Have you?
    Ripley LS v3

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

I looked into building a hybrid rack using the 1-UP roof rack and using tubing to create a hitch rack. Aluminum does not like being bent and having a professional TIG weld straight pieces was very expensive. Also, because of volume, an individual buying the proper grade of aluminum is also very expensive.

I get knocked down...
    Personally this looks quite a bit heavier than the 1 up HD/SD. I am thinking of doing 2" lightening holes along the trays as they would still be very strong.
    2020 SC Nomad C X01 Reserve Wheels
    2021 SC Hightower C S

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by REZEN View Post
    Personally this looks quite a bit heavier than the 1 up HD/SD. I am thinking of doing 2" lightening holes along the trays as they would still be very strong.
    I find that strange. QUIKR STUFF lists the weight of their bike rack and it weighs 4 pounds more for a single. So you will pay at least $550 for a new rack and immediately drill holes in it just as an experiment?

I get knocked down...
    ^Actually, I have a 1up Single Super Duty with Super Duty extensions, and I want that one lighter too. I really like a few of the changes for quick mounting of the unit and tire sizes, but the weight, and the fact that it is less compact (even the Equip-D) kills it for me.
    2020 SC Nomad C X01 Reserve Wheels
    2021 SC Hightower C S

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234