Questions for Yakima Holdup Owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Questions for Yakima Holdup Owners

I'm fairly happy with my Thule Doubletrack, but I'm considering upgrading to a Yakima Holdup. Unfortunately, I can't find a display model in my area to test out, so I have a few questions for those who have/had the newer verison of the Yakima Holdup (w/ the spring loaded pivot pin and 20 degree drop angle). Is there any play in the rack at the pivot location, or is the rack pretty stable? Does the wheel hook firmly hold the bike in place without too much wiggle/wobble while driving? Any problems with clearance between bikes (I sometimes have a problem with handle bar and seat obstruction between adjacent bikes on my Doubletrack)? How's the long-term durability? Thanks to all for any info you can provide to help me make this decision.

Thanks,
    bk

code: mtbr2011
    good questions....the rack has a bolt that goes through the pivot which makes it really rigid side-to-side, but has really nice action tiltng up and down.
    the wheels are held really stable in the rack, even large 2.4 or bigger mtb tires are really held well, and yes, the hook arm holds the bike firmly.
    we do notice a little bit of play in the rack overall....but nothing that would make you concerned, or make the car behind you point to you while you're driving down the road.
    one advantage of the thule t2 is that there is some adjustability between where the trays are positioned. you can slide one forward/backwards for a custom fit for the 2 bikes you're carrying.
    yakima, on the other hand, uses fixed points for mounting the trays...makes installation a little bit easier, but lacks adjustability.
    overall durability gets a big thumbs up...it's a great rack, and yakima is a great company if you were to ever have a warranty issue. there is a thread about a guy whose holdup was shipped with a little tweak, and they replaced it no questions asked....scroll down in this forum, or search for it if interested.
    we have written some stuff on our blog about these two racks....t2 vs. holdup.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here are my thoughts on the Holdup. I hope these thoughts are incorrect, as I haven't actually used it yet. I just had to sell my Yakima Bighorn on Craigslist, because it was not compatible with my new suspension bike. The Bighorn was the best rack I ever owned. Along with the price, it held my bikes firmly in place with no fear of driving hundreds of miles at highway speeds,or off road. My only gripe with this rack was that it rubbed the finish on my top tube, which a little bit of duct tape took care of. My Holdup arrived by UPS the day I sold the Bighorn. In addition to the double price, I immediately noticed a lot of plastic, which I think should have been constructed of metal. The ratchet straps look flimsy. The "strongarm" seems like it could loosen with the slightest bump. The red button looks like it could easily be depressed, by hitting the fork stanchion, thus loosening it's grip on the wheel. The directions state; "not for off-road use." How many mountain bikers stay on paved roads? I hope to God that my $2000.00 bike doesn't go flying off at 70 MPH. If you have a traditional diamond frame/hardtail or road bike, get the Bighorn. If you have a suspension frame, like me, pray that the Holdup works.

code: mtbr2011
    your holdup will be fine on a dirt road....
    yakima has that built into their directions and product information because we are such a litigous society that someone will take the rack jeeping in moab and then wonder why their bike fell off the rack when the jeep bottomed out on a 3 foot ledge drop.
    as long as you use discretion, and don't try and set a land speed record on the dirt road trying to access your favorite trailhead, you'll get many years of good use out of that rack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a holdup and have been very happy so far. I think Scott's comments are spot-on. Assuming no user error in installation, this rack gives me some confidence in holding the bikes and its overall stability. I did see a 1up this weekend and it looks great, but I can't wrap my head around the cost.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reassurance. I really like the Holdup, and am pretty excited about it. I like the way it folds up. I was just a little paranoid, because I haven't used it yet. Thanks for clearing up the off-road part. That was what I was really worried about. I actually did take my Bighorn to Moab once, and never had a problem with it.

Slowest Rider

Yakima Holdup Holds Up

I've had the Yakima Holdup since it first came out two years ago. I also got the extension for four bikes. I use it extensively, at least once a week, and for many long (1000 mile) trips. It's worked great and still doing fine.

I've got older model with the removable pin on cord rather than the spring loaded, and my rack doesn't tilt down to get access to the hatch. But neither are problems. I can remove the closest bike almost as fast as a pin to open the hatch, but I'm usually just lazy and open the hatch a little and reach in with my arm in those occassions.

My Yakima Holdup rack has held four big bikes very securely on the road. No wobble or play. I press down hard on the front arm while wiggling the bike to get it tight.

The plastic trays keeps the weight down, don't rust, are very tough, and the rack is very strong with lots of metal in the places that matter, like the extension arm and cross arms. The 4-bike rack at ~90 lbs is heavy enough. Added to the 200 lbs of bike, it's getting close to the Class III hitch tongue weight.

The red button cannot be easily depressed by accident, and in fact I need to press down slightly on the top of the arm to get it to release enough tension to press in easier. The straps are very secure and very easy to use.

I have carried my bikes all over the country and on very rough roads. My issue has been more with the strength of my car frame and hitch than the Yakima rack. I reinforced the sheet metal U-frame under my Taurus X as it was cracking under the torque of a long bike extension on the hitch. I also had my Hidden Hitch Class III receiver cut, welded, and beefed up to eliminate bending under load, and tilt it up slightly more for better driveway clearance. No issue at all with Yakima rack.

Once I took the car to a super dusty park with 12" thick of super powder dust that went into EVERYTHING. It's still in parts of my bikes. After that, the ratchets on my Holdup were a little stiffer. I finally took them off and cleaned them with water. They're still not quite as good as new. However, they still work great with only slightly more resistance. But I don't blame the rack, I blame the nasty dust.

I also bent the 4-bike extension once by backing up into a low lying rock I didn't see. I should have got help backing up with someone outside at the camp site, but was in a hurry because I was blocking someone. I bought a new rack extension (Holdup Plus 2). Again I don't blame the rack.

Oh, and my wife let the arm drag on the road once, and a bit of the arm was worn off. And before I got the hitch reworked, another driver of my car didn't take a driveway at an angle (needed for clearance before the fix) and scratched the buttom of the rack. Both were fixed with spare parts from my new extension purchase.

Anyway that's my full list of real rack problems while using the Holdup over the last two years. None were from Yakima Holdup design. In fact, everything but the Holdup rack has been a problem for me. The Yakima Holdup is the best rack I've ever owned, by far. And I had a garage of about 8 racks I just sold off on Craig's list. I'm only keeping the Yakima Holdup.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I can't wait to try this rack out. Unfortunately, along with the arrival of the rack, came a lot of wind rain and snow; spring in Montana! I may have to eventually get the 2 bike extension. Hopefully with a truck, I won't have the frame problems.

Members who have read this thread: 2