Question for T2 Owners- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

New question here. Question for T2 Owners

Do you leave the rack on your vehicle all the time or do you take it off and store it when it's not being used? If the former, what are the inconveniences/negatives of just leaving the rack on the vehicle at all times? If the latter, how easy and how long does it take to install/remove the rack? (I did see the storage thread earlier so I know at least that some of you are storing it.)

I've got a 2005 Outback and I currently run a 4-bike roof-mounted Yakima system with 2 fork-mounted Yakima Steelheads and 2 Thule Sidearms. I've got two kids and if anyone has kids, you know there's always lots of [email protected] to haul around, especially on trips. My passenger and cargo space are often maxed out to where I can't see through the rear view window. I'd like to get a rooftop box but then I'd lose 2 of my bike attachments, which is why I'm considering adding the T2 to the vehicle.

I like the T2 because it's basically the same design as the Sidearm , it can tilt out of the way so I can access the hatch, and it would be a whole lot easier for the missus to load/unload her bike or the kids' bikes vs. getting them up and down from the roof if she wants to take them out for a ride.

However, if it's pain in the arse to install and remove everytime we'd want to use it, then I'm not so sure it's the right choice.

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

jrm
    mtbr member

i take it off..

because i cant get into the back of the car with it on..

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    We have a Thule Hitching Post and leave it on most of the year.

It's easy enough to flip it down so the hatch (Volvo V70T5 wagon) opens. I can do it one-handed. Kind of annoying sometimes, but not a big deal.

Removing it isn't hard, but you have to get on your butt and unscrew/unlock the hitch pin (Thule supplies a threaded pin with a lock that covers the head).

The rack usually comes off in winter because we don't go mountain biking much (and have a paved MUP within riding distance of the house).

mtbr member
    I take mine off for now, since I only use it once or twice a week. If I find that I am riding more often and need to bring the bike to work for after work rides, then it will stay on. But it is simple to take on and off, it takes about 2 minutes, including putting the bike on.

The part that I have not yet figured out is locking it on. Right now, I am using a cable lock around the hitch and then through the bike and looping around the rack, the lock that I am using has a narrow shank and the cable is the same width, so it takes a minute or 2 to just get the lock on. I would have to get 2 of the locking hitch pins, since I have an extension on my hitch extend the rack out to keep it from rubbing on the paint.

Other than that, it is simple to move, a little on the heavy side, but not that bad, about 45 lbs. I have plenty of clearance into the trunk of my car, since I had to use a hitch extender since my hitch is so far under the car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Always on!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the inputs. I can handle 2 minutes - doesn't sound like it's that inconvenient to take on and off, and I could really use the extra cargo space afforded by a rooftop box.

jrm
    mtbr member

The tough part is..

finding a place to store it. I lean mine against the wall and it still sticks out out some 3'. ive only walked into it once and it hurt..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I pull mine on and off all the time, it takes no time at all. its just unlock the hitch pin then unbolt the hitch bolt and pull the rack off. takes 5 minutes if your taking your time.
    Transition Bikes 2008

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Always on as is my bike on it.

I think I screw up the car wash brushes as I always find pieces stuck to the rack. No damage to the rack though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    another option to look into is a cargo basket that mounts in your reciever hitch. They have a much higher weight capacity than a roof mounted box.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I take mine off. Up in canada it doesn't need to be on all the time anyways. I have some big hooks that I screwed into the studs of the wall of the garage so I can hang it out of the way. Once you have done it a couple times it is pretty quick to get on and off.

Is flexy
    Quote Originally Posted by racerzero
    I think I screw up the car wash brushes as I always find pieces stuck to the rack. No damage to the rack though.
    You don't think thats kind of risky? I've always wondered what would happen if I went through the car wash with mine on... maybe I was worried for no reason all this time.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It only takes a few minutes to take it off but I leave it on till around December, when we get some major snow. Salt and Mag Chloride ruins the bolts and nuts anyway. I then put it back on in March or so. After that, I leave it on always. I have a Forester and on the Outback and Forester (and similar hatchbacks) rear access isn't a problem. I lean the rack back a few inches and open the hatch. Since the rack-leaning mechanism is spring-loaded, I don't have to mess with a pin. That is a really cool feature.

Members who have read this thread: 0