Question about prepping bike/rack for 8 hour trip...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Question about prepping bike/rack for 8 hour trip...

OK, we are driving 6 hours tonight and another 3 hours in the morning to visit relatives, then next week we'll be making a 10 hour drive back home.
    I have a Saris Bones 3 on my wifes 2006 Mazda 5 and want to transport my bike for riding while out of state, awesome trails near where we'll be in Birmingham, AL.

From doing search on here it appears people have done many 3-5 hour trips with this rack at speeds over the 65mph max posted by Saris so I'm not too terribly concerned about that. But we may get some rain, and I'm not sure if I should do some prep to the bike in case of that, maybe wrap/tape the drivetrain in trash bag plastic as well as maybe the front fork, should I try to keep the wheel hubs dry as well, etc.
    Or should I just strap it down like normal and when I get there dry it off and spray the drivetrain, stanchions, and hubs with bike lube?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ill usually

travel with my bike in the truck if im only carrying one bike. I take off the wheels and then lay everything in a old sheet. Works great and its secure.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wouldn't worry about the rack itself, I have carried 3 bikes on my Saris for 100's of miles at speed of 75-80. It was fine. And so were the bikes.

The one thing I would do is take the wheels of and put them in the car to minimize drag. And increase overhang, My 29er rear wheel was less than 10in off the ground.

I can't comment on weather proofing the bike though. It never really gets that nasty here.

Kaishingo
    So long as no road salt is forecast in your trip (we have about 2-3 inches of that right now), the bike won't get any more nasty then a really wet road ride. Chain lube might struggle, but I wouldn't worry about the seals and such unless you're planning on driving through a hurricane.

I do agree with the one poster - if you're in a Mazda 5, why not throw inside the car?

mtbr member
    Bike made the trip fine, I drive 70-80 mph from Dallas to Birmingham and back with no issues.
    Reason I couldn't fit in the car was that I had luggage, a wife, and 3 kids in the car with me.

I have been very impressed with the $120 Saris Bones rack, I would like to have a roof rack or a hithc/hitch mount but for the money this things been great.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Members who have read this thread: 0