q-clips on a 2011 mustang- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

q-clips on a 2011 mustang

i've recently purchased a mustang and i'd like to put a roof rack on it.

I am currently using a yakima trunk rack but i'm just not comfortable with the amount of flexing that the trunk lid sees. looks like they designed the trunk lid to save a few pounds so it isn't braced with that usual web bracing that hoods and trunk lids are braced with -- it's basically a thick piece of sheet metal.

has anyone tried to stick some yakima q-clips between the roof and the plastic weather seal liner for the door windows? there is a small gap and I'm wondering if that's where I'd stick the q-clips.

i tried searching 'mustang' , 'roof rack', 'q-clips' and many other combinations. the problem is that there are many large 200+ response threads on this forum that are full of images. the site SQL server must be under some serious stress It takes an eternity to find things. not to mention that it looks like car threads end up in flame wars (as all proper car forum or subforums do).

thanks

code: mtbr2011
    i don't see a fit for the 2011, just up to 2010, but it uses the q78 clips.
    i attached a photo of what this clip looks like. it hooks onto the window frame. since the door has a frameless window, this is how it attaches, and it works quite well.

it also uses a 58" crossbar, and if you want to get a bar spread bigger than 18" you'll want to use the q stretch kit.

here is a link to the complete rack system.

hope that helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The bodies for the 2010 and 2011 mustangs are the same so those will work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    thanks everyone. i need to get a hold of some clips to test fit then.

how much of the load of the rack lies in the clips? I ask because it seems the clips would go around a plastic border between the window and the roof. I am confident if could hold something secure, but not confident that it could bear a load.
    It seems to me that these q-clips simply pull down on the rack pillars enough for them not to slip about. does anyone know how much lift is caused by the drag of two bikes mounted on the rack? that would be a load the clips (and therefore the plastic frame) would bear directly. that is what I'd be worried about.

looks like I will be spending a good amount of time at REI this month...

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shickapooka800
    thanks everyone. i need to get a hold of some clips to test fit then.

how much of the load of the rack lies in the clips? I ask because it seems the clips would go around a plastic border between the window and the roof. I am confident if could hold something secure, but not confident that it could bear a load.
    It seems to me that these q-clips simply pull down on the rack pillars enough for them not to slip about. does anyone know how much lift is caused by the drag of two bikes mounted on the rack? that would be a load the clips (and therefore the plastic frame) would bear directly. that is what I'd be worried about.

looks like I will be spending a good amount of time at REI this month...
    the majority of the load is directed downwards on the roof, but obviously there is some pull up strength on the rack too.

REI?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    the majority of the load is directed downwards on the roof, but obviously there is some pull up strength on the rack too.

REI?
    yeah it seems to be designed that way....

I can't be bothered to research what REI stands for, but it is a large, overpriced, outdoor stuff shop. buying from them is only worthwhile if you've got the $25 life membership and therefore are able to return anything at anytime and get a refund. Bike rack prices are good however, unlike much of the other nonsense they've got on sale.
    see exhibit A:
    a titanium mug for camping that costs $45 dollars (WTF).

If I go to REI then I can take some qclips and test fit them right there. then if I'm not in a hurry I can then price shop but if I need it then and there, I can buy it for justifiable price at least...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Curt makes a hitch for the 2010/2011 Mustang. From the instructions its a whole lot easier on the 2011 than 2010 (the exhaust is different). Hitch based racks are way better and you can take them off when you don't need them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti
    Curt makes a hitch for the 2010/2011 Mustang. From the instructions its a whole lot easier on the 2011 than 2010 (the exhaust is different). Hitch based racks are way better and you can take them off when you don't need them.
    I was under the impression that hitch racks had a bit of sway and flex in them. is this true? what is the typical tongue weight seen by a two bike rack?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shickapooka800
    I was under the impression that hitch racks had a bit of sway and flex in them. is this true? what is the typical tongue weight seen by a two bike rack?
    200 lbs tongue weight on the Curt hitch. Should be no problem to carry two bike and most mid to high-end hitch racks have anti-sway bolt/feature.

http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2011_Ford_Mustang.htm

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ler-hitch.html

I'd recommend the 1upusa or Kuat tray for the high-end. Yakima holdup on the mid-range (the Thule T2 is known for cross brace failure in long term use). I'm not too familiar with the low-end, but this model looks promising (you'd also need an aftermarket anti-sway kit - I've seen a few) - http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-R...ola/59508.html

Members who have read this thread: 0