puzzle: securing my bike on roof rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

puzzle: securing my bike on roof rack?

I have a very specific task in mind...

i'm using thule fork mount roof rack on my SUV, and both the rack and the bike tray has thule locks. i will need to leave my bike (on the the rack) unattended for about 60-75 min., and i'll be inside a building unable to look out to my bike I thought about adding some heavy duty u-lock/ chains tying down from the bike frame to the rack. the environment is city residential area street (not totally suburb, but not a new york city settings either), which means decent but not heavy traffic, and it's in the late morning.

i understand if someone determine to take your bike, nothing short of a gun could protect it. but all i'm asking is 1 hour of time, do u guys think it could be "fairly" safe for an hour? if not, what could be done to make it work, if possible at all? (assuming the thief cannot drive away the car)

this post sounds like a CSI case...

p.s. i'm NOT the thief trying to steal a bike in an hour....if u r wondering... lol... i'm just a weired, paranoid bike owner...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    put bike inside of SUV lay it on its side and cover with blanket.

mtbr member
    put the bike in your suv.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Put in inside your SUV or take it with you on your booty call
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    what is the rack setup?
    reason I ask is, do you even have a reasonably solid anchor for a chain, cable or U-lock? the thule locks are only going to keep an honest person honest. If you are only locking the bike to the cross bar, what happens when the thief steals the rack with the bike still on it? Hopefully you have factory longitudinal bars that are reasonably permanent.

IMO the best you are going to do is make it a pain in the butt for a thief, maybe make them look for an easier target. The bike being up high on the roof of an SUV might be an advantage too as it seems like it would be harder to work the locks in an awkward position.

btw, putting the bike inside the vehicle - the thief will just smash your back windshield (which I learned the hard way pretty much every homeless person knows how to do so silently) and help themselves. then you are out of the bike and a pretty expensive piece of glass.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Think of it like this: You have a bag of money(your Bike), in plain view, either on top of, hanging off the rear, or inside of your vehicle. How long would you leave that bag of money unattended?
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    putting the bike inside the vehicle is a bad idea, people can just break the glass and takes it, and i hv to fix the window...

joules, i was thinking about the same thing too... the cross bar isn't factory permanent but thule rack with lock. though i'm sure the lock doesn't stand a chance if one equipped with a power drill, i'm sure it's secure enough for some teenager passerby to take the bar with the bike. and there are screws locked the bar down to the built-in roof track, u think that's scure enough for tying down the lock? if i hv the permanent rack on the SUV roof, does it hv the chance to pass the "1-hour" test? i'm also wondering if someone could take the bar off without setting off the car alarm...

i guess in a simpler term, if i could deter 95% or even 99% of people from stealing the bike on my roof, then may be the risk is worth taking? now i hv the lock on the crossbar, with screws to the built-in roof-track, and with the top of the line chain/u-lock combo, sufficient enough to reach my goal?

btw, i don't stay in the same (parking) area everyday so it isn't like the thief can plan the "attack" and come back tomorrow with all the tools equipped.
    Last edited by eahca425; 05-14-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0