putting a 2 inch rack on a 1 1/4 hitch...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. putting a 2 inch rack on a 1 1/4 hitch...

So we have a Yakima 2in 4 bike rack for my dads Silverado and it works perfect. However, I just got a 1 1/4in class 1 hitch put on my Monte Carlo because I was tired of putting my bike in the trunk when I go riding alone. I bought an adapter so his rack would fit on my hitch, but now I think I may have a problem.
    The adapter adds almost 1 foot of length to the setup, putting the rack waaay out behind my car. Also this added length creates a sort of "lever" effect and the rack isn't really sitting perfectly straight. Anyone seen an adapter that doesn't add much length? Or now Im thinking of maybe getting another rack designed for a 1 1/4in hitch?
    If your still clean after riding, you aren't riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pavement sucks
    So we have a Yakima 2in 4 bike rack for my dads Silverado and it works perfect. However, I just got a 1 1/4in class 1 hitch put on my Monte Carlo because I was tired of putting my bike in the trunk when I go riding alone. I bought an adapter so his rack would fit on my hitch, but now I think I may have a problem.
    The adapter adds almost 1 foot of length to the setup, putting the rack waaay out behind my car. Also this added length creates a sort of "lever" effect and the rack isn't really sitting perfectly straight. Anyone seen an adapter that doesn't add much length? Or now Im thinking of maybe getting another rack designed for a 1 1/4in hitch?
    How far off the ground is your reciever? I've got a 2 inch 3 bike swagman that I converted to a 11/4 hitch. Just went to a local metal shop and picked up some scrap 11/4 square tubing and 3/8 x 11/4 flat bar. Total cost $10!!! As long as you have the tools to do the job, all you have to do is drill the 1/2 inch holes for the hitch pin and the bolts to connect it to the rack. The 3/8 flat stock was used to fill out the space to the sides of the 1/14 square tubing and widen it to 2 inches.

I know the adapter you're talking about, looks like a flattened S. I had the same issue with how far out it puts the rack. with my setup the rack only sits a few inches behind the bumper

If you want I can take some pics for you.

mtbr member
    well I acutally figured out a better solution. Yakima makes a 1 1/4in adapter for most of their 2inch bike racks. I got it for $12 and it works perfect. All you do is remove the old 2 in part of the rack and put in the new 1 1/4 one.
    If your still clean after riding, you aren't riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavement sucks
    Hidden Hitch makes a 6" adapter.

JC Whitney, and doubtless others, carry it.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...010339/c-10101
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I looked at those, but didn't like how far out back of my Mazda it put the rack. Besides. It coes 3 times as much as the steel I used to mod my existing rack to fit!

But it's a great Idea anyway

Members who have read this thread: 0