Protection for bike racks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Protection for bike racks?

Hi,
    I know thieves are typically more after the bike more then the bike rack. Just curious to know how often bike racks are stolen being that they cost anywhere from $50-700.

Do you secure the bike rack or throw it into the trunk of your car once you remove the bike and go for a ride?

Thanks!

code: mtbr2011
    i have never heard of anyone removing their bike rack while they go for a ride. i guess i live in a pretty safe area and have never even considered doing that.

T.W.O.
    There's no protection if the opportunity is there, the thief would take it. I have locks on my roof rack, still gone the whole set up, over $600. If you have permanent set up may be just the bike rack but roof system would be safe.

I'm now on a hitch rack, it's a pain with clearance but it's much harder to steal, as it a bit awkward to bust the lock and unusual wrench needed on my pin. But I don't think is fool proved.

I had my roof system for over 5 years, it was not too bad as I've got a lot of used out of it, but none the less it still pissed me off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    i have never heard of anyone removing their bike rack while they go for a ride. i guess i live in a pretty safe area and have never even considered doing that.
    You have now When I used a trunk mounted rack I would take it off and put it in the trunk while riding. Maybe I'm over protective of my stuff (if thats possible), but I have a special hatred for people that steel stuff and it is one of those things that bothers me to no end. I want to make sure nothing of mine is easy to steal. I now have a roof mounted rack that does lock on so I no longer have to worry about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I read one review that says the Kuat NV has a lock mechanism on the hitch pin. Could someone confirm if it's a key lock? This would be a big plus since I don't see the Thule T2 and Yakima Holdup mentioning anything like this.

Thanks!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101
    I read one review that says the Kuat NV has a lock mechanism on the hitch pin. Could someone confirm if it's a key lock? This would be a big plus since I don't see the Thule T2 and Yakima Holdup mentioning anything like this.

Thanks!

It is key lock.

mtbr member
    Had my roof rack exactly 1 month before they tookthe entire system including T2 racks...:|

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyNeutron10101

Thanks!
    The kuat nv includes a keyed lock for the hitch. it is not keyed the same as the cable locks for the bike. i am told that will change sometime in the future. here is our link to the kuat nv review

the thule t2 includes a hitch lock as well as locks that go into the ratchet arm.

Yakima includes a cable lock for the bikes, buy you do need to purchase a separate lock for the hitch. this part is not included with the Holdup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have a U-Haul hitch with two locking points so I run a couple thick cable locks through those and the Thule tray rack I have. Between that and the rack's own hard-to-reach locking mechanism I feel reasonably comfortable most places I park which is good because it gets used almost every day and never comes off the car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlowpoke
    Had my roof rack exactly 1 month before they tookthe entire system including T2 racks...:|
    Roof rack+a hitch rack???? Ouch. That sucks. That's easily over $600 dollars there.

That was my debate. Spend the $400+$170(Class 3 Hitch) and worry it might get stolen or put that extra $570 towards a better bike since my minivan can carry all the bikes I needed.

Unfrotunately, that wouldn't leave too much room for luggage inside the minivan. In addition, in the event of a car crash at 25MPH+, the damage it could cause to the passengers inside. Hence, the need for a bike rack - safety for the passengers, room for luggage in the trunk area behind the third row seat, and ability to pull into a parking garage at hotels, parking places, fast food, etc...

Members who have read this thread: 0