Project G35 Hidden Receiver Hitch for Bike Rack...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Project G35 Hidden Receiver Hitch for Bike Rack...

My wife and I just recently bought bikes and since we both have small cars (Mine is the G and she has a 350Z) we needed a solution to haul our bikes around so we can ride outside the neighborhood.

I saw that there were several options already out there but they either had something that touched the paint or something that was visible when not in use. Well neither of those options were happening on my car.

Goals for this project were 100% stock appearance when not in use and be able to move the bikes around without damaging the car.

This is what I had to start with.. A solid chunk of aluminum bumper behind the license plate.

I purchased a 2" square tube with a .25" wall thickness to act as the receiver hitch.

I then had it welded on both sides into the bumper and this is what it looked like before paint.

This is what it looks like on the car after paint. Note the main pin goes through the rear side near the exhaust.

This is the 2" to 1.25" adapter that I am using. The pin on the 2" side goes on the back side of the bumper and is 100% hidden when in use. I also use a locking hitch pin for added security.

Another on car shot without the bumper cover in place.

With bumper cover in place this is what you see when the plate is removed.

The 2" to 1.25" adapter in place with pin in the back in place.

Here are a few pics of the finished product with the bikes in place..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice project ! Clean and tidy. Been researching my options latley too for a Mustang. How do you like the Swagman XTC (?) so far.

Kaishingo
    Very clean and innovative! Do you think the weight of the bikes will create any extra strain on the bumper supports?

I'm about to go outside, drill some holes in the bimmer, and install a receiver hitch that has been sitting in my dining room for the past few months. This makes me wish I thought a little harder on options!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    the XTC is working out great.. Very nice bang for the buck!

The bumper moves around a bit but they make a receiver hitch for the G's that mounts to the bumper and is rated for 1500lbs. I am no where near that obviously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Very nice! And this comes from a welder with mucho experience, some of it in a trailer shop building every conceivable trailer style known to man, builder of quite a few fab it as you go class 5 hitches, you get the picture. I would have whipped out a bolt-on for gf's 2007 Honda in about an hour but I was between jobs when we needed one so ebay had to supply the hitch. Wanted the XTC rack but luck would have it a near new Xport 2-bike rack flew right out of craigslist and onto that hitch.. Gotta do what ya gotta do!

Two Tired
    That is very slick. I have a G but I am not as picky about "invisible when not in use" requirement as long as it is not too obvious. How long does it take from start to finish to get the rack put on the car and ready to go? It seems like there is a lot of fiddling with the license plate involved and a bit of crawling under the car to insert the pin. That would be a pain in the neck for me when I want to take the bike in the morning for a ride after work.
    Let the good times roll.
    trailroller.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    At first it was kind of a pain to get it all installed. I can now do it from start to finish in about 5 minutes. I am working now on getting some hinges for the plate so I don't have to constantly take it on and off. I used my front plate on the bike rack so thats constantly mounted on it.

All said and done its worth the little bit of hassle to keep the stock look.

More Torque
    Nice job and writeup.

-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you know the exact length of aluminum tubing you used?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a 2008 G35 sedan and I used a Curt hitch and it does show...but not that much really. And I bought a Swagman XTC as well. Works great. Total bill was about $310 for the hitch and bike platform.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That is sweet, figure about 100 pounds on the tongue. Should be able to handle it. I know they don't handle to much. I bet it could have been easier if you just picked up the hidden hitch from Jason Hidden Hitch

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    How is the hitch mount holding up?

Members who have read this thread: 0