Prius- Mtbr.com

Thread: Prius

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Prius

I know some of you drive a Prius. I don't want to know about MPG, it's been widely talked about. What kind of miles are you putting on your Prius, and how common are trips to the service department? 50,000 miles? 75,000? 100,000+? Anyone? Thinking about getting one. Are there rook racks for it?

flow where ever you go
    check out priuschat.com

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member

Unbiased opinion (I hope)

We have a number of Prius in our corporate fleet and I've had the oportunity to drive them.
    I'm impressed with how the engine switches from electric to gas without anything noticeable. Pickup is adequate and engine noise almost non-existent.

The cars take a beating in city traffic but continue to function. I don't even know what the actual MPG is but it seems quite good.

What does not impress me with our cars is the quality of build. The interior seems to be made of cheap plastic (probably because it is made of cheap plastic) and is not up to the standards I'd expect in a Toyota. Choice of materials is not very good and the seats show signs of excessive wear after about 50k miles. Brakes are horrible and extremely grabby. This may be the worse feature.

This is a three year old model so things may have improved but the three year old Prius with 50k miles reminds me of a six-year old Cavalier with 100k miles. Not exactly what I want in a car.

Hope this helps.

I was never in the market for a Prius as we bought a Mini Cooper (40+ MPG highway) for high MPG with a bit of style but auto purchases are very personal so I do not expect your decisions to reflect ours. I'm fortunate in having access to mass transit and can limit driving. We also have a 6-cylinder Subaru Outback Wagon but limit our use because of the poor mpg (25 mpg highway if I'm lucky, more like 18 mpg around town).

Unless you are doing a lot of city driving, I don't think the hybrid advantage would work out economically but there are plenty of people who have done studies on this who could give a more definitive answer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A co-worker has a Prius. He has a long commute (interstate) and averages about 50mpg overall. He's had it two years and is happy with it. I don't know if it has needed any unusual service.

That said, for less money, you can get a Mini Cooper, or Civic and get good highway mileage. They aren't anywhere close to the Prius on city mileage, but the several thousand dollars saved at purchase buys a lot of gasoline. And you don't have to worry about disposing of environmentally nasty battery packs at 100,000 miles (that's when the warranty on the battery expires).

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba

What does not impress me with our cars is the quality of build. The interior seems to be made of cheap plastic (probably because it is made of cheap plastic) and is not up to the standards I'd expect in a Toyota. Choice of materials is not very good and the seats show signs of excessive wear after about 50k miles. Brakes are horrible and extremely grabby. This may be the worse feature.
    I have a 2007 Prius and there's nothing resembling cheap plastic anywhere in the interior. Quite the opposite but I have the highest level, don't know if the others have different plastic, I don't think so though. The brakes can be sensitive and require some getting used to. It may have something to do with the regenerative braking which charges the batteries when coasting or braking. Mine have gotten much better in the 8000 miles I've driven mine so far however. Overall it's a fantastic car though. Zero problems, drives great and gets a real world 50 mpg.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Highway mileage

I find I get much better MPG on the highway with mine, especially if I can draft someone big and run mostly off the electrics. 70-80 MPG is not uncommon there at 70 MPH. Stop and go driving where you need to constantly regain momentum after losing it kills my MPG (especially going uphill) much more than relatively steady state highway driving does.

Members who have read this thread: 0