Power for the 2010-2011 outback with racks and bikes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Power for the 2010-2011 outback with racks and bikes.

Hello,

I was considering getting a 2010 or 2011 subaru outback and love the fact that it has 29mpg freeway, but was wondering about the 170 hp engine. Has anybody here done a hitch rack with bikes on it or kayaks and taken it up a hill with 3-4 people in the car? Does it labor?

Jason
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

I had an Outback

With the 2.5 liter engine and it was fine with kayaks and people on flat ground. It even still got good mileage with the kayaks on the roof (I averaged 25 to 28 MPG on the 150 mile round trips from Houston to Galveston). Mileage with bikes on the roof was somewhat lower.

When I moved to CA and encountered hills and mountains I found the power lacking and opted for the XT. The power is good but the mileage is significantly lower. In retrospect my old Outback was probably fine for most of the driving I do, but on hills and fully loaded you will find it sluggish in my opinion. Whether that is enough to push you to the six cylinder (XT is no longer an optoin) is a matter of your priorities.

mtbr member
    You might want to check into the Outback steering wheel shake issue before purchasing an 2010/2011 Outback. I am waiting until they have a proper fix for this problem.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...-shake-issues/

mtbr member
    Both posts very helpful. I used a MPG calculator to determine that increase costs for 3 dollars / gallon and 15000 miles per year difference is about 300 dollars for the v6 vs the v4. That shaking thing I need to read more about. I'm left again trying to find a vehicle, maybe I'll just purchase another used mini van or something.
    "Chancho. When you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants... Its for fun..."

ballbuster

Maybee....

Quote Originally Posted by Whason
    Hello,

I was considering getting a 2010 or 2011 subaru outback and love the fact that it has 29mpg freeway, but was wondering about the 170 hp engine. Has anybody here done a hitch rack with bikes on it or kayaks and taken it up a hill with 3-4 people in the car? Does it labor?

Jason
    Depends on what you are used to. I remember when 120 HP was screaming fast for a 4 cylinder compact car. I know folks who won't own anything short of a V8.

You gotta ask yourself; How much time will you really be spending loaded up like that, and how much time will you spend with just you in the car... and how badly do you really need that extra power? You're going to be paying for gas and maintenance for it 100% of the time, ya know?

Personally, the rare occasions when I'm really loaded up, I know things are going to be slower and more labored. I can live with that in exchange for better gas mileage 99% of the rest of the time. Heck, I'm usually on vacation or out on a weekend for those times anyway, and I'm not in a rush.

Members who have read this thread: 0