Is it possible to Lock wheel straps? any home mod's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Is it possible to Lock wheel straps? any home mod's?

I have a hitch mounted thule T2 rack. The front tire bar minimally "locks" the front wheel and frame somewhat, but nothing "locks" the rear wheel. The rear wheel can easily be removed by releasing the ratchet and wheel quick release, no tools required.

I know neither of the locks offers real protection, I am just looking for short term discouragement. I normally cable up the bike when it's longer.

Any ideas or mod's?

Thanks,
    Gil

ballbuster

U lock...

Quote Originally Posted by madridg
    I have a hitch mounted thule T2 rack. The front tire bar minimally "locks" the front wheel and frame somewhat, but nothing "locks" the rear wheel. The rear wheel can easily be removed by releasing the ratchet and wheel quick release, no tools required.

I know neither of the locks offers real protection, I am just looking for short term discouragement. I normally cable up the bike when it's longer.

Any ideas or mod's?

Thanks,
    Gil
    ... the rear wheels to the frame, and run a cable through all the bikes and attach to the tow hook under the rear bumper.

I also run the cable through the frame where it passes through the rear wheel as well.

Still won't stop anybody from stealing QRs, bars, stems, stuff like that. 5 seconds and a 5mm allen key, and you can do a lot of damage to a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Guess I'll have to stick to cables...

That's too bad, this is a nice rack, with the price of bikes escalating, it should have more integrated locking features.

This is a good opportunity for a good designer...

Gil

ballbuster

I thought....

Quote Originally Posted by madridg
    That's too bad, this is a nice rack, with the price of bikes escalating, it should have more integrated locking features.

This is a good opportunity for a good designer...

Gil
    it came with a long cable lock already. I think these locks are more designed to deter the casual thief. If you've ever seen one of these, you'll know what I mean. It looks like it can be defeated with a big screwdriver and some harsh language.

I think you are better off with a quality U-lock (non-bic pen defeatable) and a good thick cable. Prolly the same price, too.

Also, who's to say they don't defeat your hitch pin and make off with the whole thing?

Members who have read this thread: 0