Please Suggest a Hitch Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Please Suggest a Hitch Rack

Hi folks -- I'm looking for a hitch rack (2 in receiver, class III) for 4 bikes, 2 mountain bikes, 2 kids bikes (one 16in one 20in wheel). I'm thinking Thule 954 Ridgeline but not sure if there are better ones to suit our needs. The 2 mountain bikes are hardtails, but will likely add a funky DH bike without the traditional top tube for mounting (I see there are adapters out there though).

Any suggestions? Or is the 954 the way to go?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

go with the yakima

I have the Yakima 4 bike hitch rack. Two adults two kids. It works really well and has a bolt on feature that helps stabilize it. I tried the thule strap on and took it back after scratching the schnot out of my paint with its rubber coated scratch hooks, go with the yakima. T

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Have you looked at Thule T2 with the add on to get to 4 bikes? I just ordered one after researching for several weeks. In the end, I liked that the bikes are held upright by wheels, not the top tubes so I don't have to worry about irregular frame issues. I wasn't fond of the fact that the wheels flap around on the type you are considering....and I've heard that you have to be methodical about which bike goes where.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    T2 for 4 bikes would be nice, but that is upward of $850 in total...too much for a rack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

yeah

I did look at the thule, but the yakima folds up smaller for storage in the back of my truck. Also, while it is annoying the way the tires move,(a bungee between tires fixes this) the downtube fastener worked best for the variety of bikes, adult and children sizes that I haul around. It also folds out of the way without having to remove it from the hitch, thus enabling me to still get into the back of my truck. I have a shell so I cant just reach in on the side. Thule makes a good product. But yakima seems to be a bit more affordable. Have fun with it. T

mtbr member
    Backcountry.com just had a semi annual sale and I picked up a T2 for $205.00. I absolutley love it, I have always used roof racks but this is definitely the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckjgc
    T2 for 4 bikes would be nice, but that is upward of $850 in total...too much for a rack.
    I assume you are Canadian by the pricing and your name. Do not buy the racks in canada. We are getting reamed on pricing on them. You will pay half as much going to the US. I got my Thule T2 for around 210 US.

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006

Have you looked at Raxter?

I recently purchased a Raxter and I'm impressed with the design. Their website photos don't do it justice. This is a very good looking and well-built rack.

Easily adapts to any bike size, allows placement adjustment of each bike to avoid contact, is light weight compared to Thule and Yak and the all-black finish is very nice.

After owning a Sportworks MOD for several years (purchased by Thule) I was looking for something that wouldn't require me removing a seat in order to carry more than one bike. I looked at the Thule, Yakima and a few others and chose the Raxter for the weight and bike carrying flexibility.

Check RAXTER out.
    Local Riding Area - Rocky Hill Bike Ranch

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    I assume you are Canadian by the pricing and your name. Do not buy the racks in canada. We are getting reamed on pricing on them. You will pay half as much going to the US. I got my Thule T2 for around 210 US.
    exactly...i did the same for my saris cycle on pro...saved hundreds ordering from the states
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Whoa! Ok I'm sold. I'm in Vancouver, any suggestions where I should go in the US? Or does mail order work fine to Canada?

Calm Like a Bomb
    i mail ordered mine from jensonusa last summer....find the best possible price u can online and price match it...

which racks are u looking at?
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Whoa! Ok I'm sold. I'm in Vancouver, any suggestions where I should go in the US? Or does mail order work fine to Canada?
    It depends on the retailer - some will and some won't. I am lucky as I have family in the US that I am always going to see. I had it shipped there and just brought it back across. If you do have it shipped to Canada you will have extra costs - higher shipping, brokerage/custom fees for example and will have to pay Canadian tax on the item. If you do go to the US occasionally you might be better off finding a local retailer and picking it up. You should be able to do a dealer search on whichever manufacturer's website you decide to go with.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    It depends on the retailer - some will and some won't. I am lucky as I have family in the US that I am always going to see. I had it shipped there and just brought it back across. If you do have it shipped to Canada you will have extra costs - higher shipping, brokerage/custom fees for example and will have to pay Canadian tax on the item. If you do go to the US occasionally you might be better off finding a local retailer and picking it up. You should be able to do a dealer search on whichever manufacturer's website you decide to go with.
    that's why i chose jenson....they included everything in their shipping so i had nothing to pay when it arrived....i believe it was $60-$70 total which still saved me hundreds
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Where the heck are you finding Thule T2's for $200.00? I checked backcountry, and it's $370. http://www.backcountry.com/store/THU...nsport-T2.html

I'd love to get one, but not for $370.

dude
    Quote Originally Posted by quaestionis
    Where the heck are you finding Thule T2's for $200.00? I checked backcountry, and it's $370. http://www.backcountry.com/store/THU...nsport-T2.html

Ditto!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I ordered the Thule T2 from Jensonusa for 324 + free shipping and got it shipped to the US. I got it shipped to TSB Shipping in point roberts and got my dad to pick it up. Compared to the $539.99 that rackattack charges for a T2 we saved a lot! I'm in Vancouver as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by quaestionis

Looking quickly Agee`s has it for 295 plus free shipping.

http://www.agees.com/thule/Thule2.htm

I looked back at my bill and I was wrong about getting it for 210. It was 260 free shipping. The guy that got it at backcountry said it was a sale so maybe it it is back to it`s regular price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The best rack made for 4 big bikes (2" receiver) is a North Shore Rack- http://www.northshoreracks.com. Quickest loading time and the frames, regardless of frame style, don't touch.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthShoreGirl
    The best rack made for 4 big bikes (2" receiver) is a North Shore Rack- http://www.northshoreracks.com. Quickest loading time and the frames, regardless of frame style, don't touch.
    Except for the fact that it blocks the rear end more and raises your center of gravity dramatically, how is that better than a T2?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    They keep the center of gravity further forward and do not block the tail lights. My bikes are expensive and the last thing I want is some clown rear ending me because he couldn't see me stopping. Just ask anyone who has one what they think.

NorthShoreGirl

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They keep the center of gravity further forward and do not block the tail lights. My bikes are expensive and the last thing I want is some clown rear ending me because he couldn't see me stopping. Just ask anyone who has one what they think.

NorthShoreGirl
    People get rear ended all the time even when you can totally see the rear lights. I have no problem seeing my rears with my T2 and the bikes loaded. In fact the north shore rack would obscure the third brake light anyways. I don't think a rack like this is going to increase safety or decrease the change of getting rear ended. If that is really a concern they should go on the roof or in the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong it looks like a nice rack. My main beef with it would be that the tires stick up past the roof line creating more air resistance than with my T2 where the bikes are tucked behind the vehicle. But it probably would only make a marginal difference in gas consumption. It also decreases rear window visibility because the bikes are obstructing it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i do think the NSR racks are some of the strongest racks made, but what really sucks about them is that they're only designed to carry mountain bikes, so it would be very impractical for others, but what kept me away from the NSR 2 Bike is the weight and how it can only carry mountain bikes. So instead, I went with a Thule T2 for $75 cheaper.

mtbr member
    I have used/tried pretty much every type/kind of rack around. The NSR is hands down the best rack I have ever used and now owned. Loading the bikes is MUCH easier, not straps to deal with and never and frame rub on the rack, vehicle OR other bikes. Granted it only holds mountain bikes, but if you have a road bike, shouldnt you just be riding it on the road?

Buzz

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    I have used/tried pretty much every type/kind of rack around. The NSR is hands down the best rack I have ever used and now owned. Loading the bikes is MUCH easier, not straps to deal with and never and frame rub on the rack, vehicle OR other bikes. Granted it only holds mountain bikes, but if you have a road bike, shouldnt you just be riding it on the road?

Buzz
    well said

banned
    The COG isn't any further forward than a T2 with four bikes. The COG is higher than the T2 though.

The T2 also has "not[sic] straps to deal with and never and frame rub on the rack, vehicle OR other bikes"

Personally, when I have that kind of weight hanging off the back, I want it as low and close as possible.

The T2 is the answer.

p.s. "not[sic] straps to deal with" ??

No straps (or North Shore Rack ropes/line) on the T2/Sportworks racks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    That rack could come in handy if you have to rappel down a mountain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I am not sure what this fascination is with COG? I dont think it is realistic to be able to feel the difference between a fully loaded T2 and fully loaded NSR. ~200lbs on a 4000-6000lb vehicle is going to have some effect, but I would think the difference between the two racks would be negligible.
    I guess the new ones have a tie down at the bottom, the older ones had J-hooks. I think that would actually be an improvement!! So I do stand corrected, ONE rope to hold the back wheel in place.
    There is also the price issue and the CS you will get from the ppl at NSR. The T2 as stated is $540 for the 2 bike version up here. I know if I ever have a problem with my NSR, I can drive over to the guy who sold it to me and he will fix it that day. Did I mention he also installed it for me to ensure a good fit?

Buzz

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am not sure what this fascination is with COG? I dont think it is realistic to be able to feel the difference between a fully loaded T2 and fully loaded NSR. ~200lbs on a 4000-6000lb vehicle is going to have some effect, but I would think the difference between the two racks would be negligible.
    I guess the new ones have a tie down at the bottom, the older ones had J-hooks. I think that would actually be an improvement!! So I do stand corrected, ONE rope to hold the back wheel in place.
    There is also the price issue and the CS you will get from the ppl at NSR. The T2 as stated is $540 for the 2 bike version up here. I know if I ever have a problem with my NSR, I can drive over to the guy who sold it to me and he will fix it that day. Did I mention he also installed it for me to ensure a good fit?

Buzz
    They both look like good racks. The NSR suits some people the T2suits others. Also you are crazy to spend 520 on the T2 when you can get it for way less in the US. I got mine for 260 US shipped. The customer service is arguable which will be better. If you buy the T2 from a good retailer they will support you with any issues you have. In my case i bought it online and when I was putting it together I snapped one of the standoffs on the wheel tray that the bolt screws into due to my own carelessness. I contacted Thule expecting to pay for a new wheel tray and shipping but they sent me one free of charge.

I don't think you can go wrong with either rack but in my case the T2 works great for me.

mtbr member
    You got the T2 four bike for $260US or was it the two bike?

Buzz

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You got the T2 four bike for $260US or was it the two bike?

Buzz
    Nope the two bike - the add on to make it a 4 bike rack is around 200 I believe. If the NSR 4 bike is $499 they end up being roughly the same price.

Members who have read this thread: 0