Platform Style Racks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Platform Style Racks

hey guys,

Well got the night off from school cause i had no homework . So in October 07 I got my DH/FR rig and now that there is no QR axle on my bike I need a rack. We have a 2005 Toyota Matrix XR. My buddy has a Tourag and he had a standard style hitch rack and my tires still scraped when going into his driveway. So I know I would need a platform style with the matrix being lower than a Tourag. I am stuck between a SportRack 2EZ rack or a Swagman XC2 rack. They both look good, I haven't seen them in person yet either so I dont know much about them. Most of the time I will be hauling my 45 pound stinky primo in the back. So it shouldn't be a problem, but when I go up to whistler I may need to bring up my buddies bottlerocket or A-line. Thats the part I'm worried about. The Sportrack 2EZ is $199 locally, where the Swagman XC2 is $119.
    http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...orm-system.asp
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1175742324092
    The whole night I have been debating between the Swagman and Sportrack. The other thing I could do is order off rackoutfitters.com and get them to ship whatever rack to a warehouse across from the border and pick it up. If i do that, i was considering the Saris Thelma 2Bike rack.
    http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-ra...ch-77p1633.htm
    A lot of people said that with the 26" MTB tires it was really hard to have the strap wrap around. I'm really lost between the three racks. The Swagman and Sportrack would be the cheaper option, and I could buy locally. Where as the Saris looks a lot better, but I don't know if it would fit my bike with dee-max's. What are your takes on these racks? What do you guys suggest I do?

Brendan

edit: Also, just discovered the Yakima StickUp 2Bike Rack, for about the same price as the Saris Thelma. Would this rack hold FR/DH bikes a lot better than the thelma would?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    anybody?

Just hit it with speed
    I have the Sportrack 2EZ. First off let me say I have not used the damn thing yet as we've had 1 day dry, 2 days rain, 2 days dry, 2 days rain here in the Mid-Atlantic for about the past month and everything is messy.

I kinda went back and forth about the racks the same way as you. However at etrailer.com they had the rack for $125 w/ free shipping over 50 so I got the locks and a hitch to get the free shipping. I also saw at a Performance Store the rack for 129.99.

The rack fits my 29er rigid just fine and the rack seems to be well constructed. It has a weight limit of 90 pounds as you may know so two heavy DH rigs may be up around the 70+ pound mark. With the 1.25in receiver there is hardly any play when using the hitch bolt with the Sportrack lock, but again who knows how much play there will be when moving.

I can open my trunk(I think the matrix is more of a hatch) on my sedan just fine with a bike mounted but the center mast with the weird hook things folds down. The rack itself all folded up is a nice little package so I can throw it in the trunk of my car in the event I need to move it but don't need to have a bike.

It'll get its first test Thursday bringing a road bike back from someones house I just bought it from. We'll see how it does at about 75-80 on the interstate. If my rack drops my new ride you'll be sure to hear about it.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    I have the Sportrack 2EZ. First off let me say I have not used the damn thing yet as we've had 1 day dry, 2 days rain, 2 days dry, 2 days rain here in the Mid-Atlantic for about the past month and everything is messy.

I kinda went back and forth about the racks the same way as you. However at etrailer.com they had the rack for $125 w/ free shipping over 50 so I got the locks and a hitch to get the free shipping. I also saw at a Performance Store the rack for 129.99.

The rack fits my 29er rigid just fine and the rack seems to be well constructed. It has a weight limit of 90 pounds as you may know so two heavy DH rigs may be up around the 70+ pound mark. With the 1.25in receiver there is hardly any play when using the hitch bolt with the Sportrack lock, but again who knows how much play there will be when moving.

I can open my trunk(I think the matrix is more of a hatch) on my sedan just fine with a bike mounted but the center mast with the weird hook things folds down. The rack itself all folded up is a nice little package so I can throw it in the trunk of my car in the event I need to move it but don't need to have a bike.

It'll get its first test Thursday bringing a road bike back from someones house I just bought it from. We'll see how it does at about 75-80 on the interstate. If my rack drops my new ride you'll be sure to hear about it.
    sweet, thanks.
    Also while browsing random sites, I don't know how I missed it last night, but Thule has a rack that is what appears to be in between their SportRack 2EZ and Thule T2. It looks like it can hold the big bikes well and will be a lot better quality.
    http://www.rackoutfitters.com/car-ra...ck-33p1818.htm
    It says it can only hold 70lbs . I thought that was a mistake or something but I don't think so. I guess on the weekend I'll go to one of the local rack stores and check it out. Hopefully it can carry at least my DH Rig and a bit more, I contacted rackoutfitters to see if they can make a video for the DoubleTrack . Anyways, I'll probably go look on the weekend to see in person how strong each rack is and what they can hold.

Members who have read this thread: 0