Platform style hitch racks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Platform style hitch racks?

So I currently have a Yak Stickup, and the wife wants access to the trunk without climbing all over the the bike rack... So I am in the market for a "smaller" platform hitch rack.

I know there are several racks out there, but I am not use about which one to get.

Needs
    - Platform Style
    - Something not so wide
    - A model that folds up when not in use
    - Holds a 20" or 29ers

Options
    -Yak Holdup
    -Saris Thelma
    -Softride Versa
    -1up

Any personal reviews/ experiences would be great.

mtbr member

ballbuster

second that

Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Could not have said it better myself.

mtbr member
    I thought that would be the consensus. I read 80% of that thread , it looks GREAT but it a little $$$.... How do the early designed Jeep versions on Ebay compare?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biss-ness View Post
    I thought that would be the consensus. I read 80% of that thread , it looks GREAT but it a little $$$.... How do the early designed Jeep versions on Ebay compare?
    What is your budget?

My original 2-rack platform budget was $300 or so and I looked at the usual Thule or Yakima stuff but nothing really sold me like the 1UP did.

The extra $200 was the best mtb-related investment I have ever made to date.

It performs flawlessly, zero movement in the hitch, bikes are loaded within seconds, cleans up well, nothing to rust, and looks brand new still after a hard season's of use.

Customer support is also tough to beat with 1UP, something I doubt you'll see with the ebay Jeep stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What is your budget?

My original 2-rack platform budget was $300 or so and I looked at the usual Thule or Yakima stuff but nothing really sold me like the 1UP did.

The extra $200 was the best mtb-related investment I have ever made to date.

It performs flawlessly, zero movement in the hitch, bikes are loaded within seconds, cleans up well, nothing to rust, and looks brand new still after a hard season's of use.

Customer support is also tough to beat with 1UP, something I doubt you'll see with the ebay Jeep stuff.
    yep you nailed it... i could get 100 for the stickup and throw another 250 towards a new 2-3 bike system. The 1up looks the best , but 600 for the black is a bit much right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biss-ness View Post
    yep you nailed it... i could get 100 for the stickup and throw another 250 towards a new 2-3 bike system. The 1up looks the best , but 600 for the black is a bit much right now.
    Get the silver instead. Less prone to visible scratches on it anyway. I wanted black at first too, but was going to cough up another $100 for simply a color when I was already $200 overbudget.

mtbr member
    012 Epic Expert 29
    08 Trail SX II
    011 Pinarello
    09 Langster (New York)
    A few other too

turtles make me hot
    I REALLY like my T2. I also have the four bike kit, it goes on and off in minutes. I can carry my 29ers, my son's 20" and my wife's goofy beach cruiser.
    I like turtles

Members who have read this thread: 1