pickup trucks & bike racks...- Mtbr.com
    Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

pickup trucks & bike racks...

sick & tired of using tie-downs to secure bikes in the bed of my truck...driving on rough roads w/ equipment is annoying, rear wheels bouncing, shyte getting scratched (bed from pedals, etc.), dog bouncing around, gear bouncing around; it's old.

Anyhow, short of buying a canopy and putting a rack on that, what other solutions exist? Keep in mind I usually have no more than two bikes (max bike weight is 50.1 lbs.)in my truck, a dog, and packs/gear.

Thought about buying some bike rack tray units and bolting them to a 2x4 configuration that'd be easy to get in and out of my truck, anyone tried this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

mtbr member
    hitch racks work well. the bed in my truck is small, so i quickly run out of space. if you have acess to a welder (and a hitch) you can make one yourself nice and cheap.

izumusx988
    You answer is here

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/sportw...bike-rack.html

only $90, planning on getting one for my truck
    -Rob

Northeast Sovereign racing - Morewood bikes-maxxis-hayes-e13

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

hitch racks

had one of those, the problem was that I'd always get my bike(s) caked in mud or dust. And, the truck I currently drive doesn't have a tow package...
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

TNC
    noMAD man
    Even with a pickup, I prefer hitch racks. Even without a camper shell, like in this pic, you do run out of space quickly for gear for a big weekend of camping and riding...especially if going with a riding buddy. We just did a 3 day campout and ride weekend, and it was nice to have the necessary room for every thing. Plus my bikes have 20mm axles that I don't want to futz with. This Sportworks T2 rack is awesome and easy to operate. They also make just a bed mount system that uses part of this rack system so you don't have to remove your front wheel.
    Last edited by TNC; 09-27-2005 at 10:40 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

a ha!

we have winner...thanks for the tip!

Why aren't you riding????
    Yakama Cobras.

TNC
    noMAD man

The hated red knob.

Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    Yakama Cobras.
    As far as Cobras go, I got tired of the hoops loosening up while on the road. We've tried spacers, washers, locknuts, and a myriad of other parts and techniques to keep them secure. After living with the front wheel hoops of these Sportworks racks, I won't go back to my Cobras...faster and more secure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    As far as Cobras go, I got tired of the hoops loosening up while on the road. We've tried spacers, washers, locknuts, and a myriad of other parts and techniques to keep them secure. After living with the front wheel hoops of these Sportworks racks, I won't go back to my Cobras...faster and more secure.
    Geeez,

How much crap do you guys need to go camping for a weekend.

Those Sportworks racks are pimp, but $$$.

I built my own rack out of wood for my pickup bed. I have a Ranger and can fit 4 bikes without doing anything with the wheels. Or 3 bikes and enough gear for a weekend camping trip for two people.

TNC
    noMAD man

That's no weekend...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by FULL_AWN
    Geeez,

Those Sportworks racks are pimp, but $$$.

I built my own rack out of wood for my pickup bed. I have a Ranger and can fit 4 bikes without doing anything with the wheels. Or 3 bikes and enough gear for a weekend camping trip for two people.
    That bottom pic showing the trailer with the Cobras is a 2 week trip to Moab...total primitive camping...as in "Free". That top pic with the Sportworks is the weekend setup. Now, if my wife went with me for an overnighter, I'd probably have to take the trailer...LOL!

mtbr member
    already mentioned above but I'd like to add that I've been abusing mine for well over two years and it's by far the best system I've used. don't know why I don't see more of them in use. It really frees up all the space in the bed of my truck.

Glad to Be Alive
    fuc a bunch of that....just get some 2X6's and make a large box that fills the rectangle from the wheel wells to the cabin...then put slots for the tires......still use tie downs but very easy.....also run a bungie cord at the tail bed to hold back tire
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    That bottom pic showing the trailer with the Cobras is a 2 week trip to Moab...total primitive camping...as in "Free". That top pic with the Sportworks is the weekend setup. Now, if my wife went with me for an overnighter, I'd probably have to take the trailer...LOL!
    I know what you mean on the significant other camping...

Two weeks in moab would rock.

Other than that, I have nothing to add.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by FULL_AWN
    Geeez,

sheesh that guy brings 3 coffin size ice chest just for beer....and runs out and then refills it almost every day
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Eyes of the world
    I'm actually considering getting either the new Yakima racks or the sportworks racks like TNC is using. Basically the ones people use for roofracks and bolting them to the bedrails in my tacoma. Anyone ever seen this done? Seems like a sweet setup to keep alot of bedspace.
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The sportworks and cobras work well (we put that combo on my wifes subaru), but, for a pick up there is a far better option. for about 20 bucks in lumber and hardware you can put something together that drops into the holes in the rails of the bed that supports a 2by6 or8 just above the gate at a 45degree angle. You then attach some padding to it(to prevent pinching of hoses routed on the downtube)and voila. You hang the front wheel out the back and turn it, rotor out. This is a solid way to carry 1 to 7 bikes in your rig with no straps. I carried 7 dh bikes from salt lake city to whistler a few weeks ago, not a single strap was used and the bikes didnt shift at all.

Eyes of the world
    That works good I've seen it done on a couple trucks, but I want something that does not use any bedspace, and I'd break a hitch mount rack off. I'm going to have to see if I can find a rack at a local shop to check out and see if I could bolt it through my bedrails.
    Find 'em hot leave 'em wet

Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhippy
    sick & tired of using tie-downs to secure bikes in the bed of my truck...driving on rough roads w/ equipment is annoying, rear wheels bouncing, shyte getting scratched (bed from pedals, etc.), dog bouncing around, gear bouncing around; it's old.

Anyhow, short of buying a canopy and putting a rack on that, what other solutions exist? Keep in mind I usually have no more than two bikes (max bike weight is 50.1 lbs.)in my truck, a dog, and packs/gear.

Thought about buying some bike rack tray units and bolting them to a 2x4 configuration that'd be easy to get in and out of my truck, anyone tried this?
    How about a set up like this

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-421.html

Actually, that one is overly complex, but my friend has one that he made, with the rails clamped to the wall of the truck's bed. He loads 4 bikes on top of the rails of the bed, leaving the entire bed empty for gear.
    I love mankind - it's people I can't stand. ~Charles M. Schulz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i built a bikerack out of steel, 2 long lengths for a base, 2 steel beams comin straight up, 1 circular steel beam wrapped in old garden hose, and bike tubes across it costed scrap metal, and i have put up to 6 bikes in the back of my S10, with 6 people *although very very uncomftorable people seeing as the extended cab is just a big speaker so it's a 2 seater lol. i've had it like this for the past 2 years it doesn't move, no problems ever with the bikes you can secure the bike rack down to the box if you want, or leave it floppin around.

Shiveriffic

It's really quite easy

Tie Downs and a thick blanket work great for myself..... I run one tie down over all of the top tubes, and feed another tie down through all the rear wheels wrapping around the top of each rim..... Zero scratches, no lost bikes, and it all fits behind the rear seat....
    Cheers
    Gary

Shiveriffic

One more picture

Here is one more picture... A better angle of the straps in place...
    Cheers
    ~Gary

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grimm
    Cheers
    ~Gary
    better get some guards to protect the stanctions.......don't need to go that crazy on a tie down.....we just let them sit like that with no tie downs

Dirt Diva Little h
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnyhippy

Rec-Rac is great option for pick-ups. it attches to the side of the bed and seconds as a attachment point when you are not carrying the bikes and provides a locking loop to lock the bikes. No need to remove the front wheel ever and it is only $50-60 and for $19 more you can add another bike. Works great. I have mine on a chevy silverado, and I carry a bullit or a 5.5 with the problems and no movement. I bought mine on craig's list for $20. Check ebay too. Hope this helps

Never worng!
    I have a Toyota Tacoma with a cap. Real pain putting 2 bikes inside.
    Here's what I'm looking at:
    Swagman Ball Mount

I don't have a hitch on my truck but I do have a steel bumper with the hole for a ball hitch.
    This should work with a ball mount hitch like the Swagman but my only concern is with the fold-down latch.
    I may not have enough clearance between the rack and my license plate for the latch.
    May have to go with a non-folding ball hitch which sell for $69.
    Found some 3 bike Swagman ball hitches for that price.
    Graber also makes ball mount hitches.

The price for ball mount type hitches runs from $69 up to $120 depending where you get it.

Guinness is GOOD for you

i wanted to make one...

that attached to the rail and had a cleat that my clipless pedal snapped onto. do you guys think this would work? i know you downhill guys dont use clipless much but i saw the thread and thought i would ask.
    "Please leave the room if this will offend you"--Budd Dwyer

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grimm
    Cheers
    ~Gary
    Thats the way we do it too. Only we use the pad made by Dakine. They run about $35 & are very sturdy & well made. We get 8-10 bikes in a Mazda pu. SMT - we use our shin-knee guards for stantion protection. They ain't doin' you any good till you get bk up to the top anyhoo. we don't even tie them down. No probs with this system - yet.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    SMT - we use our shin-knee guards for stantion protection.
    when you ride down the hill????? why don't you get fork guards

Another option is a custom steel rack, either fabricate it yourself or check around for custom builders. I got mine for hauling kayaks, but can carry 2 DH bikes easily as well. Josh at Tygart River Metalworks made mine, this is a pic from the website (not mine), but pretty much the same as what I have on my Tundra.

Flyin Canine
    I've done it two ways on my truck. If you have quick releases you can use one cross bar. if you have a 20mm axle and want speed you can run two cross bars and get a sportworks bob ratchet instead of the yakima fork mounts that I have. This solution does cost a bit of money but will protect your bikes and your truck.

Here's some pics of the two configurations. BTW the socks on the hbars keep all the road grime and dead bugs out of your brakes and grips. I only run the socks on road trips over 500 miles or so.

Members who have read this thread: 0