Pick up truck question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Pick up truck question

I bought a Ford Ranger, I wondered what you other truck owners used to transport your bikes, rack wise?

slow

Just toss it ...

...in the back

Just Ride!

I have one

Quote Originally Posted by casdam
    I bought a Ford Ranger, I wondered what you other truck owners used to transport your bikes, rack wise?
    No rack though. I just plop my bike on it's side and away I go.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Really , I wondered about it sliding and bouncing around.

mtbr member
    I have a Ranger. I put it in the back, of course. I use a 1 inch thick piece of sub-flooring just wide enough to fit between the wheel wells. I have a fork mount bolted to it. Works great, I can take it out, and I have lots of room for my dogs.

I had to replace my motor recently with 90k miles on it. When Ford went to electronic ignition, they replaced the distrubutor/oil pump with a sensor. If the sensor(distibutor) gear and oil pump fails, the engine still runs with NO oil. This equals motor death. I put a switch on mine that kills the motor if no pressure for 5 seconds. Be careful.

mtbr member
    just get some bungee cords.. most trucks have little tabs in the back to attach them too anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I just use a couple of tie downs to hold the bike against the front of the box.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Boyeeee
    I have a hollywood rack in the truck bed with two mounts and an extra mount on the other side of the bed clamped onto the bed extender.

Works pretty well and I got everything cheap when an LBS relocated.

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/spare.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Not a ford ranger but a Chevy S-10 which is almost the same size. I always transport my bike on the side since I can then lock it up under my fiberglass tonneau cover. So no issues with it bouncing or sliding with a spray in bed liner. Though you may want to put towels under the parts that touch the bed liner since I noticed that it rubs some paint off. If the bed is open I would use bungee cords to tie it down just in case. I like my tonneau though since I can leave my bike in the back all night without worries of the bike being exposed to the elements or being stolen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Sportsworks

Makes a rack that fits into the tailgate hinge of your truck. It holds the bike upright, without removing the wheel. I have one and it works well (no pictures though, sorry) and when you're ready to ride, just open your tailgate and put the rack in the cab. It only takes about 30 seconds to install ...if that. Google Sportsworks, they have pics on their website.

M

Trail Rider
    I installed two fork mounts on front edge of the box and carried my bike by removing the front wheel. I finally went to discs and didn't want to remove the wheel and screw with caliper if it rubbed. I just lay it on its side. At first I used a bungee cord on one end of the bike. It didn't seem to move around(Rhino spray liner), so now I just lay it on it's side.
    Don

Slower than you...
    Stand the bike up against the driver's side bed rail - straddling the wheel well - and hook a bungee into the middle stake pocket on your bed rail. Take a couple of loops around the down tube & hook the other end of the bungee back into the stake pocket. If you don't have plastic rail caps and are worried about scratches, drape a shop rag over the bed rail at the fork & seatstays before lashing your bike down.

I've been over some really rough stuff using this setup & the bike doesn't move at all. It takes all of about 17 seconds to secure the bike (without climbing in the bed) - leaving the front wheel in place. It's priced right, as well - about $0.79 at Lowe's & leaves the majority of the bed free for cargo.

tdh
    Last edited by tdhood; 05-09-2005 at 08:02 AM.

ronbo613
    I've got a piece of cardboard in the bed, an old water heater box. I pull the cardboard towards the back, put the bike in, then push the bike forward. The cardboard makes it slide in and out real easy and prevents scratches to the truck and the bike.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    This:

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    jeffj, thanks for that photo. That's what I am looking to do to my Dakota.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

With my Nissan, at first I had a board with 2 fork mounts on it. When I got the canopy/topper for it, I bought a used Yakima roofrack from a friend and mounted the adapter plates to the canopy and put the bikes up top so I could use the canopy for storage when travelling.

On another note, here is home my brother transports his bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=878876
    Last edited by Spud; 05-09-2005 at 10:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    like everyone else seems to do a board and a ________ (insert fav rack brand here) fork mount . I bought the hollywoods because the were the cheapest at like $15
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Just Ride!
    I forgot to mention that I have one of those rubber liner for the truck bed. It's grippey enough to actually prevent some of the sliding and helps when it gets bumpy because the mat absorbs some of the shock.

Chilling out
    Wife got me the overboard solution not long after we got the Dakota ... yakima towers 'n roundbars, boa locking mounts. I run the bar towards the cab in one configuration for road trips that keeps the bikes out of the bed (see below) for more cargo 'n stuff and in another config when I want the bikes lower (e.g. just drop the back tire into the bed but still lock the fork).

If i'm just alone or around town, bike gets layed down in the bed, and I have a locking cable to keep opportunistic theft at bay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a similar set-up to Bear. I mounted thule rails on top of the bed sides. I have my thule cross bar with velo-vice heads mounted right behind the cab. You only have to take out one screw to separate the heads from the trays. When in town I just roll up my soft tonneau cover and drop the rear wheel in the bed. Good thing about this is that it is garage door friendly by about 2". When I need to put things in the bed (camping), I just put on the rear crossbar and trays. The stuff in the bed stays dry under the tonneau cover and the bikes are secure on top.

Ted

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I bought a rack from Performance that pins against the sidewalls by turning the end. I forgot what brand it is, fairly cheap. Advantage-you can take it out if needed. Disadvantage-So can anybody else!

XCdude

The cheap way, get two soft ties and a pair of

tied downs and bam you can tiedown your bike upright is not permanent and about 15.00 dolla or so. The other way for more than one bike is the hollywood bike rack, no drilling attaches to the bed 125.00 dolla.

slow

Standard Yakima Roof bar

This is the third truck on which I have used this method. Depending on the handlebars/forks, I can fit three/four across (5 in my old F-150). If I need to carry more, I'll just reverse the others, leave front wheels on and tie them into the bed. If I am carrying a load, I just place the rear wheel on top of whatever is back there. This truck has eyelets bolted in the bed, to which I am able to run a cable lock if I have to leave the bike for a few minutes. The rack locks to the top of the truck. An added bonus is that long lumber, pipe, rebar, etc can be run over the top of the bar and not damage the truck top.

P.S. Only garage friendly on certain trucks and usually without bar ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I took two of the Yakima Headlock fork mounts and installed the directly to the bed with carraige bolts.

I also installed a 1/2" thick stainless steel "U" bolt in the center of the bed with 2 cables attached.

Then I had a welder tack the bolt heads beneath the bed so someone could not crawl under the truck and take th bolts out.

Easy install and very secure.