Pick-up bed rail mount rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Pick-up bed rail mount rack?

I have a silverardo with the 6.5' bed, which I have been just using moto straps on my handlebars. However I would really like to figure out how to get something mounted on the top of the rails in the bed to hold a Thule Upride, or something similar. That way I could keep my tonneau cover closed, or have the use of my bed. I thought I saw someone making something which would basically mount in the stake pockets. Ideally, I am not looking to have bars going across from one bed rail to another. I swear I have seen such a thing, just can't seem to find it again. It's a new truck, so I am not looking to start drilling and doing crazy modifying.

Anyone figured anything out for this? I have hitch racks as well, but the truck is a bit of a beast with a 6.5' bed and 4 doors already. Having a rack sticking another few feet off the back really has me sticking out of spaces pretty significantly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I made a setup like this with Yakima parts. I started with slide tracks designed for toppers and Jeep hardtops so I can adjust the crossbar placement, and put quick release feet on the rails so the whole assembly can pop off to put large objects in the bed. Then I use rocky mounts brass knuckles carriers to hold the bikes. It can take 4 bikes above the tonneau cover, but I currently only have two carriers on it. Itís all custom fit so I had to buy it piece by piece and drill the bed rails to bolt down the tracks. Ram 1500 5.5í bed

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I am trying to avoid the cross bars if possible. Just looking to attach the rack to the stake pockets some how. I found a picture of what I thinking, but that all I can find.
    Pick-up bed rail mount rack?-truck-bed-mount-bike-racks.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Es71 View Post
    I am trying to avoid the cross bars if possible. Just looking to attach the rack to the stake pockets some how. I found a picture of what I thinking, but that all I can find.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	truck-bed-mount-bike-racks.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	1199804
    From the picture, it looks like that attaches to the underside of the rail and possibly the state as well. I have never seen anything off the shelf that will do that. There are lots of people here in Colorado that have some kind of bracket between the topper and the bed rail. They then mount a bike tray to that bracket. I would be concerned about the lateral motion of the rack and damaging the bed rail.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Pick-up bed rail mount rack?-img_20160823_060922-1200x1897.jpgPick-up bed rail mount rack?-2012-03-26_19-58-16_77-1600x902.jpg

I use a single load bar up front so it doesn't block access to tools when I'm working. Rear is drilled through the rail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160823_060922-1200x1897.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	1200673Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-03-26_19-58-16_77-1600x902.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1200674

I use a single load bar up front so it doesn't block access to tools when I'm working. Rear is drilled through the rail.
    I hadnít thought about the single load bar. That should work. I found some anchors which may work in the stake pockets for the rear.

All fat, all the time.
    This might be what you're looking for, they have the option to mount using the stake pockets.
    The Single Side Truck Rack - Patented Base Rack for Trucks by Marquette Mounts