Paint-friendly trunk racks??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Paint-friendly trunk racks??

I just bought a brand new car, and I'm looking for a trunk mounted rack to transport my bike around. Is there anything that will not mess the paint up?? It's a black car, so even the smallest marks will be noticable.

Thanks,
    Bryan

ballbuster

Nope!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930
    I just bought a brand new car, and I'm looking for a trunk mounted rack to transport my bike around. Is there anything that will not mess the paint up?? It's a black car, so even the smallest marks will be noticable.

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Trailer hitch rack is your best bet. I made the mistake of buying a black car. I'll never do that again. I only wish somebody smacked some smarts into me about the trailer hitch rack before I messed up my paint with a roof rack, and a hatchback rack.

The problem isn't the rack, the problem is that there is no way to keep dirt from getting between the rack and car, and grinding the clearcoat off the paint as it jiggles around.

Auto-x addict
    "Paint-friendly trunk racks" is a contradiction of terms.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    "Paint-friendly trunk racks" is a contradiction of terms.

Unfortunately thats what I thought...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't have a new car by any means, but I do keep very good care of it and it's paint (parking a mile away from any other car in the parking lot, etc.). When I went into my LBS, my only concern was not scratching the paint. They recommended the Saris Bones 2 and after using it for about a month now, they were right on the money. I've not noticed a single scratch or rub from the Saris (and believe me I look ... close) and the bike stays quite secure.

ballbuster

A month...

Quote Originally Posted by avoigt
    I don't have a new car by any means, but I do keep very good care of it and it's paint (parking a mile away from any other car in the parking lot, etc.). When I went into my LBS, my only concern was not scratching the paint. They recommended the Saris Bones 2 and after using it for about a month now, they were right on the money. I've not noticed a single scratch or rub from the Saris (and believe me I look ... close) and the bike stays quite secure.

.... is nothing. Your car isn't black, is it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Saris Bones 3

I have a Saris Bones 3...and it scratched the clear coat on my red Alero. I always made sure to clean the feet of the rack before putting it on, so like it or not, it will mar your finish. It is a great rack though, I never worried about losing a bike one it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    .... is nothing. Your car isn't black, is it?
    Dark Green actually. So yes, I can see scratching if it occurs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I believe you can buy this product or similar at auto part stores. Just clean the area well before putting it on. It would work well to protect the paint from roof racks as well.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3.../Product_Info/
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have a Saris Bones 3 and I use a paint protection film (like the 3M stuff but you can put it on yourself) from Griot's Garage (the J. Peterman of car care stuff) and it works well I have it in all the places where the hooks attach to the trunk. The only things are that I wouldn't want to cover my whole trunk lid with it, but you could, and since paint doesn't stick to plastic as well as metal is probably isn't advisable to put it on a painted bumper if you ever plan to remove it. If you want to pony up the dough you can have someone put on a 3M clear bra on the trunk but at that point I would just get a hitch put on.

Members who have read this thread: 0