Paging '09-'10 Forester owners, need some help!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Paging '09-'10 Forester owners, need some help!

I smoked a deer the other day with my Honda Element and we think it's totalled. I was thinking I would replace it with a new Element, but then things got crazy. My In-Laws want to give me their '09 Forester and that would be hard to turn down. Here's the question....can you fit a bike in the back with only one side of the rear seat folded down? I travel a ton for work and like to keep the bike with me (has to stay inside the car) and also have to shuttle my kids around so I'll need some back seat space as well. Has anyone done this? Pictures?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yes- I do not own one but I sell them. You will have to take the front wheel off, and may have to lower your seatpost. If you fold down the left side you'll have room to seat two people on the center/right seats.

Note: I do this with my 2001 Forester so I know it can be done. And I'm sitting in the showroom eyeballing the Forester right next to me. But you should always do a trial run in that one you might get anyway

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Yes- I do not own one but I sell them. You will have to take the front wheel off, and may have to lower your seatpost. If you fold down the left side you'll have room to seat two people on the center/right seats.

Note: I do this with my 2001 Forester so I know it can be done. And I'm sitting in the showroom eyeballing the Forester right next to me. But you should always do a trial run in that one you might get anyway
    If you're still in the showroom, could you possibly take a tape measure and let me know what the lowest point is between the ceiling and cargo floor? I want to do the trial run, but it's hard for me to tell the in-laws that it all depends on me getting my bike into the car....not everyone is as crazy about my MTB habits as I am

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Boy that's a tough one. I LOVE the Subie AWD (had an STI once and a 98 Forester) but the the versatility of the Element (have one now) trumps all when it comes to biking for me. I just love how you can take 4 bikes (non DH) and slide them in with seat post and wheels and all.
    If the Forester was free or way way below Blue Book value, then bite on it, otherwise get another Element.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter
    If you're still in the showroom, could you possibly take a tape measure and let me know what the lowest point is between the ceiling and cargo floor? I want to do the trial run, but it's hard for me to tell the in-laws that it all depends on me getting my bike into the car....not everyone is as crazy about my MTB habits as I am
    Sorry, I didn't see this til I got home just now. I will try to do this tomorrow for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Crap, sorry I forgot to do this earlier.

The lowest point is about 29" at the front edge of the seatback when the seat is folded forward. This is in a moonroof-equipped car. Plus, I would think with front wheel off you could put the fork down by the floor.

The average throughout the backseat/trunk though is about 31".

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    Crap, sorry I forgot to do this earlier.

The lowest point is about 29" at the front edge of the seatback when the seat is folded forward. This is in a moonroof-equipped car. Plus, I would think with front wheel off you could put the fork down by the floor.

The average throughout the backseat/trunk though is about 31".
    Thanks a ton! I'll be measuring it soon. Looks like the Element is totalled, so I'll have to make a decision soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0