Overkill or future proofing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Overkill or future proofing?

Hey y'all, just wanted to poll the forum and get your takes. I'm pretty new to the sport and am in need of a way to transport my bikes. I've got a wife and 4 kids (3 of which are old enough to bike) so eventually will have to be moving 6 bikes at a time. Right now my wife and I are taking separate vehicles, one for her and the kids and one for me and the bikes. I've been thinking about getting the NSR-6 by North Shore, but i think it might be overkill since 80% of the time I'm just hauling my bike alone.

Have you folks with kids (or just take multiple people with you on rides) found that getting such a large rack to be worthwhile?

I was also think of getting a Rack Stash receiver installed in my garage so I can hook the NSR up in the garage when not in use. It'll also keep my bikes organized. Anyone have experience with a Rack Stash?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gigantic Hawk
    I guess it depends on what size bikes you are transporting. If some of them are small enough to store inside the vehicle, then just get a smaller rack for now. The smaller rack will always be useful later. Also, check out Recon Racks. They are similar to NSR, but offer a better setup.

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Love my NSR 6. 1, 20" wheel bike, 1, 24", 2, 26" and 1 fat bike. Been on trips to Oregon, Moab and around where we live in northern Utah. Great rack.

mtbr member
    The nice thing about the NSR (or Recon) is that, unlike a tray-style rack, additional carriers don't really make it a pain if you aren't using them; carrying one bike on a 4-carrier T2, for instance leaves about 5' of bike rack sticking past your bike.

My only gripe about the NSR, not owning one, just riding with a friend that has one, is that it doesn't work that well for anything but suspension forks, and carbon fork road bikes will not fit in it at all. It appears Recon addresses this issue.

To me, downsides are:
    1 - your vehicle/hitch. 6 bikes plus the weight of that rack... well class 3 is supposed to have a tongue limit of 600#, so I guess that should be fine.
    2 - cost. No way around that.
    3 - you run the risk of becoming the designated shuttle-b!tch; because you'd probably be the only one of your friends that has a vehicle that can carry 6 bikes.

upside, like you said, can carry the whole family in one vehicle. I've never heard anyone complain about the ability to carry more bikes, other than people asking you to drive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by boardguru View Post
    Love my NSR 6. 1, 20" wheel bike, 1, 24", 2, 26" and 1 fat bike. Been on trips to Oregon, Moab and around where we live in northern Utah. Great rack.
    Thanks for the feedback! Do you keep your rack on the car at all times?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    I keep the rack on during the spring, summer and fall. It is off during winter since we snowboard and use the cargo area for gear bags. During bike season my wife and I switch it out sometimes from my 4Runner to her FJ Cruiser. It has been a great rack, and one of many good things is that the bikes do not stick out as far as a regular 4 bike hitch rack would. And better sightlines looking through the bikes in the rear view mirror with the North Shore rack.