Outback is gone now I need a new rack setup- Mtbr.com
    wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Outback is gone now I need a new rack setup

Finally sold off the old Outback (great car). Now have a Ford Freestyle AWD and need the crossbars so I can migrate the Rocky Mount trays over.
    So, Yakima LowRider Max clamps or Thule 450 Crossroad system?

I believe both would be good base setups but am wondering about the various accessories. Is one brand better than the other long term? Lets say the Rocky Mounts die, would I want to be set to add on the Yak Sidearm or want the Thule High Roller.
    I want to pull the trigger today or tomorrow to take advantage of the 20% REI coupon.
    Don't harsh my mello

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler

Went w/ Thule

In case anyone cares.
    I can fit a 3rd bike going backwards if need be. The only issue I ran into was the Thule fairing. All the on line fit tools picked the 44" model. Next size down is 38". The space between the rails is 43". I'm waiting on a reply from Thule tech support to see if there's a safe way to mod the rail down 1/2" on each side and still make the thing work properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't harsh my mello

ballbuster

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by wg
    In case anyone cares.
    I can fit a 3rd bike going backwards if need be. The only issue I ran into was the Thule fairing. All the on line fit tools picked the 44" model. Next size down is 38". The space between the rails is 43". I'm waiting on a reply from Thule tech support to see if there's a safe way to mod the rail down 1/2" on each side and still make the thing work properly.
    ... but why not a hitch rack?

-brought to you by the hitch rack association of the East Bay-

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wg
    In case anyone cares.
    Hey, finally saw this cross post from your NorCal thread.

I ordered this year's version of the Freestyle, the Taurus X, which should arrive in December. So I've also been looking around for racks/hitches. I figure since the car can fit six people, I should find a way to get six bikes on the car. That means a hitch rack AND roof rack.

I've been looking around myself for bike racks and hitches, and am settling on the Yakima FullSwing 4 for the rear hitch. It swings sideways out of the way with four bikes on the arms.
    I'm also thinking of perhaps the Yakima HighRoller for the roof. I suspect I can carry three bikes on top, which is all I need along with the rear hitch.

I'm also looking for a top cargo box for all my family's gear on camping trips, and am thinking of Yakima's Skybox 18. I'd like the Skybox 21 for the extra space, but the heavier weight of the 62 lb box is taking up too much of the rack's 125 capacity, even if it is only filled with sleeping bags and pillows that take up so much room at little weight.

All around, I'd like to stick with one company for all this gear, so that the same key fits on everything. What is your impression of Yakima versus Thule? They look very similar in price and function to me.

Oh, and I heard from a rack dealer that with a bike on the rack, you don't need a fairing as the noise goes then away on it's own. He said the fairing is only needed if you use the cross bars without a bike, which I won't do for gas mileage (the cross bars come on and off quick). What rack noise do you get, and have you seen the noise go away with bikes on top?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    All around, I'd like to stick with one company for all this gear, so that the same key fits on everything. What is your impression of Yakima versus Thule? They look very similar in price and function to me.

Oh, and I heard from a rack dealer that with a bike on the rack, you don't need a fairing as the noise goes then away on it's own. He said the fairing is only needed if you use the cross bars without a bike, which I won't do for gas mileage (the cross bars come on and off quick). What rack noise do you get, and have you seen the noise go away with bikes on top?
    Hey Larry, Haven't been in this forum for a bit so missed this.
    Yak vs Thule? 6 of one, half dozen the other. They're quite similar from just the bars. Since you're looking into all the attachments and one key, I'd look into what attachments fit your needs. I use Rocky Mounts for the bikes and no other accessories yet.

Noise is tolerable. I don't remove the bars so I hear some whistling now and then but have gotten used to it. Weirdly noisy with sun roof open but then I just crank up the stereo.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    if you are going to buy a box and a hitch rack I'd go with Yakima...the skyboxes are fantastic... really sitff and strong, use a handle to open, have great mounting hardware and you can open them with one finger! Oh and they are a lot cheaper than the comparible Thule box.
    Yakima are changing almost all there hitch racks in January, the Fullswing becomes the SwingDaddy with fully adjustable cradles which can be moved on a track system and won't slide around with bikes on, a cable lock built into the mast and they look great.

Members who have read this thread: 0