ot Toyota Tacomas- Mtbr.com
    Code Burr

ot Toyota Tacomas

Well after 1.5 years i've had enough. I will never buy another Toyota again. This has to be the most uncomfortable whip i've ever owned, including a suzuki samurai way back in 1990 and several fiat spiders. Just goes to show that a Consumer Reports Best Buy and Motor Trend truck of the year awards mean absolutely nothing in the real world. To be fair, I bought this truck on a strict budget and had no idea it was designed for people under 6 foot. Of course I can not afford the Toyota Tundra which is a bigger nicer truck with the V6. But $25k for a toyota truck seems like too much money to me.

Heres my complete review
    2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner x cab, w 4 cylinder
    Pro's
    It ran and hauled whatever I put in the bed.
    Rear axle was not incredibly oversprung like Ford trucks.
    $18k is affordable
    Assembled in California of 99% japanese parts, at least its assembled here.
    20 mpg
    Great Brakes, decent handling/turning ratio.
    Cheap dealer oil changes

Con's
    Pushy dealers who wont give you back your car keys after a test drive.
    Seats extremelely uncomfortable, 20 minute commute is murder.
    Interior fabric and trim is ugly and cheap looking.
    No legroom - No Cabin room, 2 adults = 2 spoons.
    Dashboard rattles louder than the radio
    4 cylinders engine is pitiful, no power, no acceleration, they need a DOHC with 16 valves on this thing.
    Crap Suspension - almost cost me dental work, speed bumps are an adventure, the rear leaf springs cause lurching, on and on....
    Engine has a minor studder to it
    Oil filter strategically placed to avoid home oil changes
    Back seat cargo area is extremely hard to access from driver side.

I hate to complain but I see this truck associated with mtbikers alot. If you are 5' 8 or so you might like it but the ride is horrible. If you can afford the Tundra do it.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    Well after 1.5 years i've had enough. I will never buy another Toyota again. This has to be the most uncomfortable whip i've ever owned, including a suzuki samurai way back in 1990 and several fiat spiders. Just goes to show that a Consumer Reports Best Buy and Motor Trend truck of the year awards mean absolutely nothing in the real world. To be fair, I bought this truck on a strict budget and had no idea it was designed for people under 6 foot. Of course I can not afford the Toyota Tundra which is a bigger nicer truck with the V6. But $25k for a toyota truck seems like too much money to me.

Heres my complete review
    Pro's
    $18k is affordable
    20 mpg
    Cheap dealer oil changes

Con's
    4 cylinders engine is pitiful, no power, no acceleration, they need a DOHC with 16 valves on this thing.
    Crap Suspension - almost cost me dental work, speed bumps are an adventure, the rear leaf springs cause lurching, on and on....

I hate to complain but I see this truck associated with mtbikers alot. If you are 5' 8 or so you might like it but the ride is horrible. If you can afford the Tundra do it.
    Sounds like the wrong truck for you. Some of those things you mention (engine studder, cheap interior that rattles) are clearly quality issues. The seats are also known to be less than comfortable for a lot of people.

Other things are just not right for you. Toyota pickups have always ridden on the harsh side, it's largely due to them being real trucks that can handle a lot of weight and offroading as well. You will notice this more in a smaller, lighter truck. Their 4 cylinder engines are also well known to be utterly dependable (the older 22R's would never die) but not particularly powerful, though powerful enough to do what you need them to. My friends who have them LOVE them.

Personally, I wish they would have stuck to the more utilitarian designs of the mid 80's. I dearly regret selling my `86 4x4 pickup. Sparse, mostly metal interior, manual hubs, no power anything, VERY stiff stock suspension with TONS of clearance, powered by "The Little Engine That Could". Yes, you'd better make sure your mouth is closed going over a speed bump, lest you bite your tounge or crack a tooth, but that's the tradoff for a light truck with a stiff suspension. I could get smoked off the line by just about anything with an engine, but it had plenty of torque for whatever I needed, and the 22R never dies.

It sounds like you would be happier with a larger truck. If you are looking for roomy, powerful, and smooth, the 4-cylinder Toyota Pickup is definitely the wrong truck for you.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Heres my complete review
    Pro's
    $18k is affordable
    20 mpg
    Cheap dealer oil changes

Con's

Sounds like the wrong truck for you. Some of those things you mention (engine studder, cheap interior that rattles) are clearly quality issues. The seats are also known to be less than comfortable for a lot of people.

Other things are just not right for you. Toyota pickups have always ridden on the harsh side, it's largely due to them being real trucks that can handle a lot of weight and offroading as well. You will notice this more in a smaller, lighter truck. Their 4 cylinder engines are also well known to be utterly dependable (the older 22R's would never die) but not particularly powerful, though powerful enough to do what you need them to. My friends who have them LOVE them.

Personally, I wish they would have stuck to the more utilitarian designs of the mid 80's. I dearly regret selling my `86 4x4 pickup. Sparse, mostly metal interior, manual hubs, no power anything, VERY stiff stock suspension with TONS of clearance, powered by "The Little Engine That Could". Yes, you'd better make sure your mouth is closed going over a speed bump, lest you bite your tounge or crack a tooth, but that's the tradoff for a light truck with a stiff suspension. I could get smoked off the line by just about anything with an engine, but it had plenty of torque for whatever I needed, and the 22R never dies.

It sounds like you would be happier with a larger truck. If you are looking for roomy, powerful, and smooth, the 4-cylinder Toyota Pickup is definitely the wrong truck for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Heres my complete review
    Pro's
    $18k is affordable
    20 mpg
    Cheap dealer oil changes

Con's

You bought a 4 cylinder Pre-Runner, Toyota's budget minded production version of a low rider truck. What the hell did you expect?

3 "fiddy" for short
    I also have a 2004 and love the thing to death. I am 6'2" and dont have any issues with the size of the cab. Sounds to me like you got a lemon because I, nor any of my friends that have a Taco, have had any of these problems. We all have the extended cab and realize that it is not a family car, so the rear seating area is primarily a storage area. To each his own though. Its too bad that you had such a poor experience with this truck.

Pivoteer
    The 05 body style is much larger than the previous years. I recently bought the 05, 4 door and love the thing to death. I have also owned an 02 Tundra 4 door. The Taco has lots of cab room, the rear seats are huge. The new V6 is sweet, 245hp 282fp torque. The truck I have is the sport edition, so it has stiffer than normal suspension (not the x-runner version which is lowered) and handles great. I get much less chassis roll on this truck than other trucks in the past (this truck is built for the concrete jungle).

The oil filter is right at the top of the motor, easiest thing in the world to change.

Expert Pushing SSer
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Agree. I bought a 97 Tacoma new (it has 137K mi on it now). I bought it bare bones, actually has manual hubs and manual tranny, which I like. The only thing "power" is the steering. It rides stiff in the rear, but because of the coils up front, a little soft. Mine has the 2.7L - 4cyl. and I think it is DOHC. Not a dragster, but it is what it is. I definitely like the 05-06 body style, and you can get a manual transmission with the quad cab!
    Tuff Schist

Do It Yourself
    Most of the issues are either due to what you purchased, or have been addressed by the newer model. I don't know what to say about you dealer other then that sucks. I never had trouble with my dealer but then I haven't been back since I bought it.

I have an 03 SR5 V6 TRD. It doesn't ride like a Cadillac but then again, a Cadi can't rip at 45mph on rutted dirt roads. Your truck has the standard shocks so if you don't like the ride change the shocks. You would do the same for your bike, why would the truck be any different. I haven't had any trouble changing the oil at home, other than I have to take the skip plates off (extra step). But on the plus side, I don't have to jack up the vehicle so it works out. But again, I have the V6 so I don't know if the 4 banger is substantially different. I'm about 6ft and have the seat slid all the way back so if you were taller, that might not work out well. However, it's a compact pickup so that's how it works.

The newer models have more horses and better gas mileage. The new Tacoma is also much larger (more like a mid-size) and now with AccessCab (i.e. suicide doors in the back) for better rear access. The newer one also has different seats and interior, maybe you'll like that better.

Or see what Dodge, Chevy, Nissan or Ford has to offer.
    Long Live Long Rides

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Man
    You bought a 4 cylinder Pre-Runner, Toyota's budget minded production version of a low rider truck. What the hell did you expect?
    How do you confuse a pre runner with a low rider? Definitely not their econo work truck.

Do It Yourself
    How do you confuse a pre runner with a low rider? Definitely not their econo work truck.
    He musta been thinking X-Runner which is a low rider.
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    I agree with the 04 to 05 comments above.

I own a 04 xtra cab 2wd and use a 05 double cab 4wd for work, and the work truck actually has a better ride off-road than my 2wd has on-road.

My 04 4 cyl is really weak, but the 05 6cyl has tons of power. A couple of hills in my area exceed 47% grade and the 05 climbs them without missing a beat.

Going to dump my 04 this summer for the new body style.

The only thing I don't like about the new style is the composite truck bed.

Code Burr
    Did any of you guys try the Tundra? I really liked that one and keep going back to it but at $25k for the extended cab wV6 bare bones model I cant do it. I wish there was a mid size suv out there that I could put my xl bike in the back of.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    He musta been thinking X-Runner which is a low rider.
    Yeah, whoops, that's the one I was thinking of. I've owned Toyota vehicles for the last 12 years, and have never had a problem. My current ride is a '98 4Runner, and even with the sunroof, there's plenty of headroom for me at 6' tall, and I thought they were built on the same chassis as the Tacomas.

If money's such a big issue, why not buy a used one? I bought my 4Runner used for under $10k. I've got it up to 165k miles, and the only problem I've had was a bad starter that I had to replace... $300, no big deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    for someone who hates to complain you're very good at it

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    I also have a 2004 and love the thing to death. I am 6'2" and dont have any issues with the size of the cab. Sounds to me like you got a lemon because I, nor any of my friends that have a Taco, have had any of these problems. We all have the extended cab and realize that it is not a family car, so the rear seating area is primarily a storage area. To each his own though. Its too bad that you had such a poor experience with this truck.

i wouldn't say he got a lemon. any of those problems would be evident on a test drive.

Gravity Rides Everything
    if you want a luxury car buy one. the tacoma is a truck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    looks for a used nissan xterra.. there made for bikers

mtbr member

Heres my complete review
    Pro's
    $18k is affordable
    20 mpg
    Cheap dealer oil changes

Con's

I find it odd that every con you listed, except for 2 & 11, was readily apparent at the time of purchase. Why exactly did you buy this vehicle? If you wanted car like ride and feel you should have bought a car not a truck on 31" tires.

mtbr member

I have only owned Toyota's

I had an 85 Toyota PU 4 banger 4x4 that lasted till 97, I bought a 97 Tacoma 4x4 V6 and drove it untill 2001 when I got a 4 door Tundra V8 4x4. It was horrible. The engine was way to powerful for the tiny brakes. Yeah it had nice cab space but I had to replace the brakes 8 times within the first 30k. Thinking it was a lemon I traded it in on a 2003 Tundra 4 door 4x4 V8 and it had the same brake problems. I ended up trading it in on a 2005 Tacoma 4 door Prerunner with the V6. The V6 has as much horsepower as the Tundra did and it rides so comfy. I love this truck and will never get another Tundra. Sounds to me like you'll never appreciate a Toyota so why don't you go get a Nissan, they're alot cheaper.

mtbr member
    I own an '03 4-door 6-cylinder Tacoma and love it except for 2 things:

1. Gas mileage less than expected

2. Rattle inside dashboard

Besides those 2 things, I love it. I'm just a hair under 6' and it fits me fine. My wife and I make at least 2 trips each year between Denver and St. Louis and both of us find it to be a decent road trip vehicle.

And for the record, I had a great sales experience when I bought it. I got it at Burt Toyota in Denver from Jeff (can't remember last name) who was/is their internet sales manager. Low pressure and good price. It helped that I knew exactly what I wanted and exactly what I expected to pay, but there was absolutely no pressure on his part. It was nice.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

Keep rollin'

Loyal Toyota owner here...

I've owned two Tacomas (or what is at least now the Tacoma). A 91' 4x4 reg cab with the 22R engine, and an 03' Prerunner V6 with access cab.

I'm 6'2" and while I've never expected the truck to be as comfortable as a passenger car, I don't really ever find myself uncomfortable. I do spend A LOT of time in my truck as I work for a home builder and I am constantly driving from job to job.

After owning the 4 banger, I realized I needed a bit more power, and now I don't think I could ever own anything but the V6. I also realized I needed more room inside. I barely fit in the old reg. cab, and granted the new ones aren't great for someone my height, I do find it a little roomier.

Both trucks have and continue (my buddy bought the old 91') to run like tanks, with the only maint. being regularly scheduled things like brakes, oil changes, etc.

Sadly, my 03' is in the shop getting a new front end. As shown below it was in a nice accident. (not my fault) ($13,000 didn't total it, how's that for resale value) The other driver's insurance has me in a brand new 06' F150 V8 4x4, which is nice, but a bit on the big side, definately not what I'm used to, or what I like to drive. I think I could deal with a new Tacoma, but I was a bit dissappointed to see them make it so much bigger. Oh well, I don't think I'll be in the market for a new truck anytime soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---What good is a man who won't take a stand?---

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamR
    The only thing I don't like about the new style is the composite truck bed.
    Have you heard about problems with the composite bed? Just curious. To me, it makes a lot more sense than a painted bed made from sheet metal.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation
    I find it odd that every con you listed, except for 2 & 11, was readily apparent at the time of purchase. Why exactly did you buy this vehicle? If you wanted car like ride and feel you should have bought a car not a truck on 31" tires.
    Tell me, how does a 10 minute test drive simulate every day conditions like being stuck in traffic, trying to pass an 18 wheeler, or 1 hr plus rides to a remote trail. Somethings you have to learn by spending time in the damn thing. Thats why Road and Track and most other car mag's do extended reviews, which in a way is what i'm doing, some of you clowns call it complaining, well your right, I'm complaining, this truck sucks.

At least some of you who actually own one admit that the 04 ride needs improvement. Thank you to the guy above who said his rides better offroad then onroad and he is getting rid of it.. To be fair, at $18k I think only nissan has a better deal. They ride bit better and I think their 6 has more power.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Thank you to the guy above who said his rides better offroad then onroad and he is getting rid of it..
    He was not talking about the same truck. He was comparing two different Toyota pickups.

mtbr member
    Tell me, how does a 10 minute test drive simulate every day conditions like being stuck in traffic, trying to pass an 18 wheeler, or 1 hr plus rides to a remote trail. Somethings you have to learn by spending time in the damn thing. Thats why Road and Track and most other car mag's do extended reviews, which in a way is what i'm doing, some of you clowns call it complaining, well your right, I'm complaining, this truck sucks.

At least some of you who actually own one admit that the 04 ride needs improvement. Thank you to the guy above who said his rides better offroad then onroad and he is getting rid of it.. To be fair, at $18k I think only nissan has a better deal. They ride bit better and I think their 6 has more power.
    It all sounds like you made an uninformed impulse buy. What the hell did you expect out of an $18k four cylinder truck? Class leading power? Cadillac ride? If the thing fell apart on you in a year and a half I could understand the griping, but the best you can come with is nit-noid comfort issues.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

I loved mine

I had a '96 extra Cab 4 x 4 and loved it. I'm 5'10 and found the interior comfortable enough for my wife and I. The new '05s are 6 inches wider and an inch or two taller for more headroom too.

I had the V6 which was good for 190 hp. the 4 banger is a POS for a truck so I don't know why anybody would ever get that but I guess it's your perogative.

I had 130,000 miles on my truck and everything was original. Yep, original timing belt, original water pump, original rear brakes. I never did a damn thing except change the oil, tires, and front brakes. I finally got rid of it when I had my son becuase he barely fit in the rear seats. I traded it in for far less than it was worth but for no hassle and got a new '05 Tundra double cab.

YR

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by croatiansensation
    It all sounds like you made an uninformed impulse buy. What the hell did you expect out of an $18k four cylinder truck? Class leading power? Cadillac ride? If the thing fell apart on you in a year and a half I could understand the griping, but the best you can come with is nit-noid comfort issues.
    1. How do you summarize horrible ride quality and piss poor comfort as "nit noid comfort issues?"
    2. I expect an $18k truck built in 2004 to act like it and not ride like a 1969 dodge rambler. The $13k Ford Ranger has a better ride than the tacoma pre runner. Maybe i'm griping so what? Dont read the post dude. Nothing is more annoying than griping about someone else griping. Croationjaculation, have you driven a Tacoma prerunner xtended cab or just here to complain about people complaining?

mtbr member
    2. I expect an $18k truck built in 2004 to act like it and not ride like a 1969 dodge rambler. The $13k Ford Ranger has a better ride than the tacoma pre runner. Maybe i'm griping so what? Dont read the post dude. Nothing is more annoying than griping about someone else griping. Croationjaculation, . . .
    Wow, apparently I touched a nerve. Here is a thought, if having your viewpoint challenged, quite reasonably I might add, gets you so worked up maybe you shouldn't post it on a public internet message board. All I have been trying to point out is that the frame of reference you are judging this vehicle by is skewed and unrealistic.

. . . have you driven a Tacoma prerunner xtended cab or just here to complain about people complaining?
    I have ridden in, driven, and/or worked on pretty much every model of truck you have mentioned in this thread; they all rode rough and had less interior room when compared to a car. As far as 4 cyl. Toyota extended cabs go, power was pretty decent for the engine displacement and comfort was about average when compared to the other light trucks I have been in.
    Last edited by croatiansensation; 02-24-2006 at 02:30 PM.

suspension wrench
    Jan 2005

Did someone say Tacoma?!!

I agree everyone has a right to their opinion but as an incurable gearhead, I must say this thing is almost as much fun as my Turner!...

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

you do know

1. How do you summarize horrible ride quality and piss poor comfort as "nit noid comfort issues?"
    2. I expect an $18k truck built in 2004 to act like it and not ride like a 1969 dodge rambler. The $13k Ford Ranger has a better ride than the tacoma pre runner. Maybe i'm griping so what? Dont read the post dude. Nothing is more annoying than griping about someone else griping. Croationjaculation, have you driven a Tacoma prerunner xtended cab or just here to complain about people complaining?
    that the comparing a Ford Ranger to a Pre-Runner is not really an apples to apples comparison right? The Pre-Runner is a purpose built model that differs immensely in the suspension department from a Ranger. If you want to compare a Taco to a Ranger you really should be comparing the standard 2WD Taco. A Pre-Runner is identical to a 4 x 4 except that it does not have a transfer case or front differentials. The suspension and everything else on a Pre-Runner is just as it is on a 4 x 4.

It'd be kinda like me *****ing about my Tundra (which I'm not) and comparing it to an F-350. not really the same comparison except that they are both trucks........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamR
    My 04 4 cyl is really weak, but the 05 6cyl has tons of power. A couple of hills in my area exceed 47% grade and the 05 climbs them without missing a beat.
    OK, I'm more than a bit skeptical on this one. 47% grade?? Do you really have any idea how steep that is? At 6-7%, they start cautioning trucks and putting brake runout areas on the side of the roads. The Pike's Peak Highway is an average of 11% grade and the Mt. Washington Auto Road is an average of "12% with extended sections of 18% and the last 50 yards is an amazing 22%!"

And lest you say you mixed them up, it's not 47 degrees, either as that would be over 100% grade.

22% is one helluva steep grade and 47%?? I'm pretty sure there are no paved roads in the country with a 47% grade.

Here's an image of a train climbing a 38% grade for reference:

Even for off road climbs... 47% is damn steep!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    The new V6 is sweet, 245hp 282fp torque.
    Hmmm... my 6 cylinder makes 305HP and 555fp torque!

Cereal Killer
    I had a 2000 Taco extended cab 4x4, and absolutely loved it. Then for some odd reason, I traded it for a new Dodge Ram 1500 2x4. Stupid idea! I had lifted it and everything, and my stupid buddy talked me into the Dodge. I'll regret it the rest of my life, or until I get another one. ;-)

I agree the seats aren't the most comfortable, but that's halfway easily fixed, with new seats. As far as the ride, I liked the slightly bumpy ride. Guess I'm just a weirdo for that. And at 6 ft tall also, I found it just right. And the seat hight (after I lifted the truck) was just right for me when I had my knee surgery. Just plant your butt, spin and I was in. Here's a pic of my long gone Taco.

Chad

Members who have read this thread: 0