OT: Subaru Baja- Mtbr.com

Thread: OT: Subaru Baja

Not a Barry supporter.

OT: Subaru Baja

Anyone drive a Baja? How do you like it? I have to give up my truck b/c we need more room with the family growing and all, and I'd like to keep some semblance of a truck. I used to own an Outback (along with a few other Sub) and I really liked it. I think the Baja would fit the bill better than an Outback for my situation.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Team Sanchez
    Hey Holmes, a Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma in a crew cab type body style has every bit as much interior room and seating space as a Baja, and you get better ground clearance too.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Budweiser #8
    Feb 2005
    IMO, the Baja is ugly. It is also slated to be axed in the next year. If you are going to go with a Subaru wagon, get an LGT wagon or Outback. Check out these sites for more info:

www.legacygt.com
    www.subaruoutback.org

I own a Honda CR-V.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey Holmes, a Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma in a crew cab type body style has every bit as much interior room and seating space as a Baja, and you get better ground clearance too.

I've been seriously thinking of the Frontier but after checking out the Ranger extended and finding out it wasn't big enough for a car seat in back (comfortably anyway), that was axed. And I thought the Frontier had the same amount of interior space. If it's bigger, then it's back on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by DEI99662
    IMO, the Baja is ugly. It is also slated to be axed in the next year. If you are going to go with a Subaru wagon, get an LGT wagon or Outback. Check out these sites for more info:

www.legacygt.com
    www.subaruoutback.org
    I used to think the Baja was ugly too but then I really started looking at it and seeing how it looks so much different than anything else on the road, actually makes it look good. As far as it being axed, not many on the road so it's easy to see why. But I wouldn't be worried about that much.

Thanks for the info and the sites. That'll help.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

only slightly broken
    I've had my turbo 5spd since may and love it. I replaced my 87 rx7 turbo with it
    and I miss the way it went around corners but the baja is quicker, gets better mpg
    and carries three bikes in the back and two on top. It is very nice to be able to
    throw all the wet dirty stuff in the back and still have a whole car's worth of room
    inside. Rides a lot better than just about any pickup (its a car, not a truck, duh)
    but the flipside is less load and towing capacity (but 4 bails of hay fit, which is
    always an important thing in the mtb world)

I suppose one person's ugly is another person's, well, ummmmm, err, interesting(?)

Harrumph
    Because they are slow sellers you can raelly have a dealer by the balls. Most of them have the 165hp 2.5l, but the rarer turbo's have 210. I came close to selling my soul for a 5spd turbo baja, but it was out of my reach and I traded in my 92 Legacy for a 05 Impreza. Aside from the obvious differences they are the same as the Outbacks, and they are wonderful cars.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member

I like mine

Loves the snow.....feeling it automagically shift traction from front to rear wheels and back is cool!

Oh yeah, and the bike rack is rock solid when rolling over hill or dale.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (88.9 KB, 699 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (126.1 KB, 1771 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (125.2 KB, 3193 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (121.2 KB, 1130 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (138.0 KB, 912 views)

mtbr member

I'll add

I'll add that I didn't buy it for anything but hauling bikes and commuting to work....I already have vehicles for hauling stuff, one with a 454 cu in engine, the other with a puny ole 350.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    And now that it is discontinued (and some like that fact), you won't see too many of these any more:

I like Monkeys
    We have 66k on our '03 with zero problems. Carries 4 bikes and people to go with it. Stinky stuff in back, stinky folks in the front. I'm not surprised that they are discontinuing the Baja since it is a niche vehicle but we love ours. I'm hoping my Ranger with 210k miles will puke so I can talk the wife into getting another one before they are gone. The baja is hers.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Bear Valley BIkes and the Baja Love!

The Baja is our team car, here we our with team captian Derek Hermon in Brian Head, Utah.
    https://www.bvbikes.com