OT- Removing Tint From Back Window- Mtbr.com
    MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006

OT- Removing Tint From Back Window

Hello all!

So I purchased a used car from a private seller. Everything is great, except this really pathetic, hippy tint film that is at the back window of the car.

There was obvious attempt to take the tint down by the previous owner- and it is pretty clean on the outside edges. There is tint in the middle, covering about 50% of the entire window. I was wondering if you folks have any idea on how to remove it. I tried to peel it off, but doing so will leave the glue stuck to the window- making it look really sad.

Thanks!
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    I tried to peel it off, but doing so will leave the glue stuck to the window- making it look really sad.
    Peel off a small portion. Then try various solvents on the glue until you find one that'll take the glue off too. Give mineral spirits a try first.

take it to a window tinting shop and they will steam it off. What ever you do, don't use a razor blade... It will mess up the defroster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    a heat gun is your friend. it makes quick work of taking off the tint. it can be had for about $10 @ your local home improvement shop.

D.M.S.R.
    Jun 2007
    As mntim mentioned, one of the ways that a tint shop "steams" off the tint is to use the clear cellophaone sheet off a previous tint job. Water soak + heat makes it much easier than using straight heat gun alone. If you can find a suitable clear sheet film, then it can be done at home. The glass surface with the old tint will be doused with water solution, then the clear sheet will be placed over it. If there is strong sunlight and hot, the vehicle will be parked outside (if not, carefully use heat gun). After good heat/steam soak, the film will be much easier to remove by hand. Any residue can be removed with gum & label adhesive remover.

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    Thanks a lot folks.

I guess I will give the heat gun/steaming method a try. As NMTIM said- I am worried about damaging the defrosting lines.

I think I can get a hold of clear sheet film... so I will try it at home over the weekend.

What kind of water solution would you all recommend?

Thanks again!
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

D.M.S.R.
    Jun 2007
    The old skool window tinters use magic mix of water and a few drops of lemon fresh Joy detergent. For removal, I don't think the detergent matters though. Don't scrub the defroster lines like mentioned before.

Members who have read this thread: 0