OT: How to do a good job with touch up paint on a truck door?- Mtbr.com
    Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

OT: How to do a good job with touch up paint on a truck door?

I was at the mall paying my cell phone bill and walked back out to my truck to see that some a$$hole had keyed my truck. So i ordered some touch up paint from toyota and it will be here soon.

Whats a good way to apply this so it doesnt look like crap?

i havnt done it much, thanx
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

pepito
    Jun 2004

who knows....

nice screen name though! i think you were first. probably my favorite comedy of all time. sorry i've got nothing worthwile to contribute as far as the paint job.

the_dude

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    nice screen name though! i think you were first. probably my favorite comedy of all time. sorry i've got nothing worthwile to contribute as far as the paint job.

the_dude
    no one at all?

born again

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    I was at the mall paying my cell phone bill and walked back out to my truck to see that some a$$hole had keyed my truck. So i ordered some touch up paint from toyota and it will be here soon.

Too bad people can be such ass***** but here is my advice coming from years of detailing cars--It'll never look as good as it was but this is the best advice I can offer:

--Clean the area throughly with dish soap and water which will strip off any old wax, you want the paint to be completely clean
    --Find a very good quality brush(like a model paint bush) and use it to carefully fill in the scratched area with the touch-up paint. Take your time and go real slow.
    --Use something like Meguiar's Swirl Remover to help 'hide' the scratch
    --Use a quality wax to protect the area after you finish

It'll probably never look as good as it did but if you take your time the end result will only be noticeable upon close inspection. Good luck!
    Last edited by gearz; 09-19-2004 at 08:52 PM.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    Too bad people can be such ass***** but here is my advice coming from years of detailing cars--It'll never look as good as it was but this is the best advice I can offer:

--Clean the area throughly with dish soap and water which will strip off any old wax, you want the paint to be completely clean
    --Find a very good quality brush(like a model paint bush) and use it to carefully fill in the scratched area with the touch-up paint. Take your time and go real slow.
    --Use something like Meguiar's Swirl Remover to help 'hide' the scratch
    --Use a quality wax to protect the area after you finish

It'll probably never look as good as it did but if you take your time the end result will only be noticeable upon close inspection. Good luck!
    i will try that

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Retouching the paint

Gearz is right - don't expect miracles. FWIW you can congratulate yourself that at least your truck intimidated someone enough to make them feel they needed to lash out. Must be a nice truck.

One of the biggest problems with touchup paint is that if you get a bit too much on there (almost unavoidable), and want to avoid a glob, you have to wipe the excess off. When you do that, it smears out across the smooth finish of the car and makes a cloudy patch.

Here's what I'd do:

a - clean the area well with water and a little dish soap. Flush well with water and then let dry.

b - get the thinnest masking tape you can find and lay it on both sides of the scratch and very, very close to the scratch. Press it down hard as you roll it out. Leave extra tape at the ends, and fold this over on itself to give you something to take hold of later. (By "thin", I'm referring to a minimal thickness, not to width. The tape can be of any width.)

c - pour a little of the paint out onto something flat and smooth, like a plastic lid, and smear it out. Pick up a tiny amount of paint from the smear and lay it into the groove between the two tape strips. Work neat but fast... the paint sets up fast. It helps to work on a cool surface in the shade. Try to use the least amount of paint possible so that the process doesn't create a raised bead.

d - while the paint is still wet, grab the tape strips by the folded-over ends and pull them smoothly and at an even rate off the truck.

A couple of suggestions; do you have a small scratch in an unobtrusive area on the truck? If not, find or make a scratch on another piece of painted metal and spend a few minutes practising... you only really get one shot at this. This will give you practice applying and pulling off the tape, too. Before you start on the actual vehicle, try different paint applicators to find out which one works best. Could be a brush, could be a piece of snipped-over rubber band, your finger covered with a piece of saran wrap, the edge of a small strip of flexible plastic cut from a lid... whatever works. If you've got several scratches on the truck, do the smallest, least conspicuous one first. By the way, keep the paint bottle sealed when not in use or it will thicken, and don't handle the bottle or pour from it over the truck's hood.
    Last edited by Rollin' On; 09-19-2004 at 11:37 PM.

I love burritos.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude

Did you check to see if they keyed all the way through to the paint layer? If not, you might be in luck.

Most people don't realize this, but your car's clearcoat layer is thicker than you think. If they didn't scratch all the way through the clearcoat, you can actually save it with some rubbing compound, very high grit wet sandpaper and some wax. What you're essentially doing is sanding down and evening the area around the scratch to make it disappear. But this is all assuming they didn't scratch it so hard as to make a dent in the metal.

Otherwise, if the scratch was all the way down to the paint, all I can recommend is finding a very fine brush (a modeling brush as mentioned below) and apply multiple THIN coats, with each coat drying thoroughly in between until you fill in the scratch.

Sucks when people have to mess with your property like that. Good luck.

Edit: Be extremely careful with the rubbing compound and sandpaper if you decide to go this route. Do it lightly as too much sanding will expose the paint layer and ruin your paintjob just the same.
    Last edited by Lemonhead; 09-19-2004 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Added caution re: sanding

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

One other thought...

If the scratches are white (and your truck isn't white), then what you're seeing is the basecoat paint that lies under the top color coats.

If you do some small tests with touchup paint and find it's not coming out with the look you want, here's another method you can test.

Take a color sample with you - maybe the sales brochure for your truck - to a big art supply store and try to find a colored pencil that matches the truck's paint. It doesn't have to be exact, just close.

Clean the area, then use the pencil to put some pigment into the scratch. All you're trying to do here is hide the white underpaint that's showing. It might help to use some fine sandpaper to hone the pencil lead from both sides down to a chisel edge.

Finally, put several coats of wax over the area, to seal in the pencil pigment and fill the depression made by the scratch.

Since this is pretty simple, I'd even try it before messing with the touchup paint. Again, if you have a small scratch somewhere in an inconspicuous spot on the truck, that would be a good place to check it out beforehand.

I've used the colored-pencil approach on furniture before, and it's amazing what blemishes can be made to disappear when viewed from more than a foot or two away.

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004

Thanx for all the advice....

i wil make sure i check that its not allthe way thru the clear coat.....and for my truck here it is...
    Attached Images Attached Images