OT: Has anybody got the Toyota Matrix and use it to transport bikes inside?- Mtbr.com
    Bike to the Bone...

OT: Has anybody got the Toyota Matrix and use it to transport bikes inside?

Hello, I'm considering buying a Matrix. I want to put my bike inside, since I prefer not to use a rack. I think it's safer and more practical to transport the bike inside the vehicle than outside.

Has anybody used that car for bikes? Do they fit ok? I think I'll have to remove the front wheel to store it, but I don't mind that. Any good or bad experiences on that car?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hello, I'm considering buying a Matrix. I want to put my bike inside, since I prefer not to use a rack. I think it's safer and more practical to transport the bike inside the vehicle than outside.

Has anybody used that car for bikes? Do they fit ok? I think I'll have to remove the front wheel to store it, but I don't mind that. Any good or bad experiences on that car?

Thanks
    Don't know much about it, but consider the Pontiac Vibe as well...its made by Toyota and essentially the same as the Vibe. Also consider the Mazda 3, 5 door. It's less expensive than the matrix, holds a bike easily and is a great handling car.

LBS Manager

I almost bought one

but I got a suzuki Aerio hatch back insted cheaper more puwerfull and just as good or better build quality It will hold three bikes in the hatch easily. And it comes AWD if you want.

mtbr member
    I so wish Toyoto would bring the wagon/five door versions of the Coralla and Camry back to the US market. If the Coralla Wagon or Civic Wagon with or without the hydrid setup was in the US market I would buy one this week. I know they both got burnt with their Camry and Accord wagons in the early 90's, but that was 10 years ago and the demand for small/medium wagons are very high in the US right now.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...menuid=105782#

mtbr member

Yes

I bought my Matrix 3 years ago when they first came out for the same reason. It's based on the Corolla and you can easily tranport 2 bikes inside plus a bunch of other crap. 2 bikes and I take the front wheels off but 1 will fit with both wheels on. I once put 3 bikes and 3 people in with the 60/40 folding seat. I'm in Canada and they are everywhere but when I go to the US they seem pretty rare which I reckon has to do with the American obsession with BIG SUV's which are very common down there. I do get 40mpg (US) on the highway with my XR front wheel drive 5 speed. I could have got AWD but only with a automatic transmition and smaller fuel tank. Front wheel drive is all you need in the snow and ice so don't let that influence you.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

it's....
    For transporting mtbs inside, nothing beats Honda Element.
    Fits inside upright without taking anything off, and no worrys about mud staining carpet.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    I used to but installed a Yakima roof rack later on. Got tired of having to take the seatpost out and wind down the travel of the fork to make it fit using fork mounts.

I had a piece of 2x4 with 2 fork mounts in order to carry 2 bikes but was a hassle.

If you're planning on putting the rear seats down and lay the back on it's side is pretty roomy in there.

pc_load_letter
    i rigged up some fork mounts (whatever theyre called) on chunks of plywood
    those are drilled to lock into the the cargo tracks with some wing nuts

gotta pop the seatpost off to fit but i love it.. 2 bikes fit super easy...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    but I got a suzuki Aerio hatch back insted cheaper more puwerfull and just as good or better build quality It will hold three bikes in the hatch easily. And it comes AWD if you want.
    BWAHAHahahaha......dream on, there, Johnny - Suziki in NO WAY has the build quality/reliability of Toyota.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    BWAHAHahahaha......dream on, there, Johnny - Suziki in NO WAY has the build quality/reliability of Toyota.

I'm not trying to diss anyone, but I agree with Fuelish....

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by EJBlur
    Don't know much about it, but consider the Pontiac Vibe as well...its made by Toyota and essentially the same as the Vibe.
    Just checked that out...wow, I think you're right.

The million dollar question: why would anyone buy the Pontiac version of the toyota? Price appears to be same/or more on the pontiac....

Ever tried selling a used pontiac?
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    I just got a matrix and there is tons of room for the bike... with seats folded down I can easly put the bike inside without taking off the wheels or seat post. taking the bike apart I am sure there is room for 3 or 4 bikes. Car gets good gas milage and with the standard car feels peppy... We got ours for just over 13K
    We should have a strong president, strong enough to resist the temptation of taking power that a pres shouldnt have-Ron Paul

pc_load_letter
    the vibe/matrix is a joint venture. the matrix models even have a gm radio in them.
    must say i absolutely love it..

and yes, if you position the cranks/pedals correctly you can fit 3 bikes with room to spare

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ahh, but if you buy a used Vibe you've got the best of both worlds. You pay alot less than you would for a used Matrix yet you've still got the reliability of a Toyota.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    For transporting mtbs inside, nothing beats Honda Element.
    Fits inside upright without taking anything off, and no worrys about mud staining carpet.
    I dunno what kind of bike your riding, but if its a 26", the front needs to come off. My wife has an element and its a nice car, but my 1987 toyota van blows it away in bike carring ability and gets the same gase mileage.

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

Des(s)ert Rat
    Actually, the Matrix has a Suzuki engine. I'd rather get a real Toyota. I test drove a Vibe on one of those 24 hour test drives, and it didn't make it. It died, like wouldn't start, like I had to walk home and get another car so I could take my son to school. That's when I did a little research and found out it wasn't a real Toyota engine. Not touching one of those ever again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=Raymo853]I so wish Toyoto would bring the wagon/five door versions of the Coralla and Camry back to the US market. If the Coralla Wagon or Civic Wagon with or without the hydrid setup was in the US market I would buy one this week. I know they both got burnt with their Camry and Accord wagons in the early 90's, but that was 10 years ago and the demand for small/medium wagons are very high in the US right now.

Toyota does make a 5 door car similar to a Camry, and it's hybrid. The Prius hatchback fits 2 bikes inside no problem (3 if you took off all the front wheels). Maybe it's not quite as big as those wagons were, but it's classified as a "midsize" and works just fine for weekend MTB camping trips for 2 people/2 bikes/ camping gear/ cooler, etc.

BTW, the formerly 6 month waiting list are disappearing quickly because they doubled production to 10000 per month for the US (and so are the above MSRP scams).

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    I dunno what kind of bike your riding, but if its a 26", the front needs to come off. My wife has an element and its a nice car, but my 1987 toyota van blows it away in bike carring ability and gets the same gase mileage.

wayne
    You are not doing something right.
    Muddy large Epic and medium Apogee with room to spare and nothing taken off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853
    I so wish Toyoto would bring the wagon/five door versions of the Coralla and Camry back to the US market. If the Coralla Wagon or Civic Wagon with or without the hydrid setup was in the US market I would buy one this week. I know they both got burnt with their Camry and Accord wagons in the early 90's, but that was 10 years ago and the demand for small/medium wagons are very high in the US right now.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyo...menuid=105782#
    The Camry wagon lives, but it's called Highlander or Sienna if you stretch and inflate it.

On the subject: The owners (2 Matrix and one Vibe) I know are all very happy with their purchases. The only one of them that I know who even has a bike just tosses it in sans rack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Actually, the Matrix has a Suzuki engine. I'd rather get a real Toyota. I test drove a Vibe on one of those 24 hour test drives, and it didn't make it. It died, like wouldn't start, like I had to walk home and get another car so I could take my son to school. That's when I did a little research and found out it wasn't a real Toyota engine. Not touching one of those ever again.
    Do you have a credible source to verify that it is a Suzuki engine?

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    The Matrix has the same engine as the Corolla, screampint check your automotive sources.

As I said before my bikes only fit complete by laying them on the side and one will take most of the space. To make more than one fit inside the front wheel needs to go and depending on the size and travel the seatpost will have to be lowered or removed. My VT didn't fit standing and the Unit barely made it, that's why they now travel on the roof.

Here's a pic of mine.

Base model but takes me to where I want/need to go

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a vibe and its perfect for transporting bikes. I was on a college team last year and it was our official team car. At one point we had four road bikes and SIXTEEN (thats not a typo, I wish I had a picture) wheels in it at one point. Plus a few bags. Insane. You usually have to take the seats off.

it's....
    DD is correct, and the high end model has the now discontinued Celica motor.
    I was considering the Matrix, but once I saw the interior of the Element, there was no comparison.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Hmmm... The GM guy that wanted to sell me the Vibe told me it was a Suzuki engine. Could it be that there is a difference in the Vibe and the Matrix? At any rate, it did not sound like any of the Toyota engines I had ever heard (grew up with a Corona station wagon and a Land Cruiser, and have owned 2 trucks,old 4 cylinder and a v6 Tacoma, currently drive a 4 Runner). Granted the 4 cylinders were that I had were older and the new ones could very well sound different, but the Vibe was overly "tinny" if that makes sense.

Just for the record, I adore Toyotas. huge fan here, put lots of miles on them and never really worried about reliability (never had to). My old Tacoma (miss it horribly) had over 140,000 miles and was still the best vehicle I had ever owned. Dang! I wish we didn't sell it...

Members who have read this thread: 0