OT: Ayrton Senna- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558

    OT: Ayrton Senna

    Do you remember? Then you will appreciate this.

    If not, his life is worth learning about.

    Top Gear Tribute:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNmqn3heGgE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNmqn3heGgE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>


    'Senna' the movie is coming out.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z9SJYmFi0m0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z9SJYmFi0m0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>


    Hamilton driving Senna's car
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yCsdnUW2Ww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yCsdnUW2Ww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

    Senna driving the Acura
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8By2AEsGAhU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8By2AEsGAhU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    456
    "Senna" a huge name in our organization

  3. #3
    Ride More - Suffer Less
    Reputation: TraxFactory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Posts
    2,263
    great post! I love Formula. We should do a MTBR GoKart gathering at Lemans Karting in Fremont.

  4. #4
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan23
    "Senna" a huge name in our organization
    Booyah. Nice gang!

  5. #5
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    great post! I love Formula. We should do a MTBR GoKart gathering at Lemans Karting in Fremont.
    Yeah, youtube age! I learned more watching these videos and others than all those years watching him race.

    fc

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by RipRoar
    We should do a MTBR GoKart gathering at Lemans Karting in Fremont.
    An event on MTBR where I'm in a Social A group!!! I'm not saying I'm good, but I won't be LAST and people have to wait.

  7. #7
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    Yeah. amazing stuff...

    Sad how he died. Basically, a jury-rigged steering column broke, sending him out of control into the wall. Read the wikipedia entry on him.

    I remember the day he died, too.

    Reading the wikipedia on F1 cars of the day was interesting too. Basically, they were running inline 4 cylinder 1.5 liter engines that would spin to 18000 rpms, running 2.5 bar of turbo boost (my A4 runs 0.8 bar) making 1200 HP. Whoa! IIRC, they had big bore cylinders, but the stroke was super short. Also, no metal valve springs. Regular valve springs are too slow. They were using compressed air for valve springs.

    I would be game for a Go-Kart session. Do those cars have clutches... like real clutches? Only way to fly....

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,294
    Argentina was silenced the day Senna died, and mind you, we never stop giving Brazilians **** about anything.

    Top Gear's coverage was exceptional. I'll try to find the video of him driving an ef si around the track. Rather comical yet amazing.

  9. #9
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558
    I think he is at the level of Bruce Lee. Elvis! Who else.

    Legends who die young.

    fc

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,294

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quicklaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    323
    I don't swear to a god, I swear to Senna.

    Q

  12. #12
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps
    I don't swear to a god, I swear to Senna.

    Q
    "we are competing to win... and if you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver. "

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mellowyellowCJ7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    436
    The day he died was a very sad day. I think for Argentina it was like the day Kennedy was shot in the USA. The country shut down for at least a week. Thanks for posting this, I'll watch it when I get home tonight.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowyellowCJ7
    The day he died was a very sad day. I think for Brazil it was like the end of the world. The country shut down for at least a week. Thanks for posting this, I'll watch it when I get home tonight.
    ftfy

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mellowyellowCJ7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    436
    Doh, why is it my brain turns off when I post on the Internet?

  16. #16
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Sad how he died. Basically, a jury-rigged steering column broke, sending him out of control into the wall. Read the wikipedia entry on him.
    Yep.. the steering column was lengthened by cutting it and inserting an extension. It broke. Williams tried to cover it up so many ways.

    Also he might have been ok but the front right wheel got trapped and hit him on the head.

    fc

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklaps
    I don't swear to a god, I swear to Senna.

    Q

    - How did I know you'd be in this thread ???
    And, it was all about PROST!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,044
    Wow. Just Wow. Those Top Gear segments sent goosebumps up and down my spine.

    "Os Domingos nao serao os mesmos sem voce."

    Ain't that the truth.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fervor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    342
    Awesome post. I am in for karting.



    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Do you remember? Then you will appreciate this.

    If not, his life is worth learning about.

    Top Gear Tribute:
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNmqn3heGgE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aNmqn3heGgE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>


    'Senna' the movie is coming out.
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z9SJYmFi0m0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z9SJYmFi0m0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>


    Hamilton driving Senna's car
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yCsdnUW2Ww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0yCsdnUW2Ww?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

    Senna driving the Acura
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8By2AEsGAhU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8By2AEsGAhU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    Trade: My 17" c2c Fat Chance Monster Fat in Fair condition for same in 18- 19"

  20. #20
    fc
    fc is online now
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,558
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Wow. Just Wow. Those Top Gear segments sent goosebumps up and down my spine.

    "Os Domingos nao serao os mesmos sem voce."

    Ain't that the truth.

    Portuguese to English translation:

    The Sundays are not the same without you

  21. #21
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,163
    Being both an avid Formula One and Top Gear fan, I did not miss these tributes. Still amazing how those guys could wrangle almost twice the horsepower back then, with a fraction of the downforce available in modern day Formula One cars.

    Speaking of Brazilians, Rubens Barrichello set the fast Lap in a Reasonably Priced Car for the F1 drivers who are invited to drive on Top Gear.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,044
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Portuguese to English translation:

    The Sundays are not the same without you
    Close enough.

    "Sundays will not be the same without you".
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: quicklaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by DMFT
    - How did I know you'd be in this thread ???
    And, it was all about PROST!
    Figures... you just like him cause he French. France lover.

  24. #24
    Track Junkie
    Reputation: Octane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,236
    Cool videos, thanks for sharing.
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

  25. #25
    More pie please
    Reputation: Skyline35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,841
    Not my words....just an old post from some message board that stuck with me....

    I can't say that I'm prepared to call Senna the best driver of all time (I lean towards Nuvolari),
    but I did have an experience that demands to be shared.

    In 1989 or 90, I was working for a showroom stock racing team that was a support event at
    the Montreal GP. Our race was Saturday afternoon after F-1 final qualifying, so I was on my
    way to the paddock on the road between the final long straight and the Olympic rowing basin
    behind the pits.

    In those days the final turn was an extremely fast chicane (since tightened significantly).
    I was riding a four wheeler, and when I stood on the seat I was able to just barely peer over
    the top of the catch fence right at the turning point for the chicane as the final minutes of
    qualifying wound down.

    Prost, Mansell, Piquet, Berger; all the best drivers in the world screaming into the corner in
    top gear at something approaching 190mph. And everyone downshifting one gear into the
    chicane, including Senna. With a few minutes left, Prost blasted through to take the pole.
    Senna followed a few seconds later, just breathing the engine but without a downshift.

    He came within a tenth of Prost, but not quite. Then on his final lap with the checkered flag
    out, he flew into the chicane without lifting at all, somehow forcing the car through visibly
    faster than anyone else, the engine note never wavering, pure commitment.

    Absolutely amazed, I made my way towards the paddock and entered behind the pits on the
    narrow sidewalk next to the water. As I made my way down, Senna suddenly popped out of
    the Goodyear tent and walked right at me. Our eyes met, and I mumbled "nice lap".

    He smiled, nodded and walked by, then suddenly stopped, turned, looked at me for a
    moment and said "You're the guy on the fence".
    Long live long rides

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.