Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray? Pipeline?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    122

    Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray? Pipeline?

    There are tons of threads on this topic, but it still seems to be something I feel the need to wrap my brain around.

    For now, I've been carrying our bikes in the bed of the truck, as I fear getting rear ended using the hitch racks. Well, I've just been using a homemade wooden floor "rack" to keep the handlebars from turning, while cinching the bikes down with cam straps. It is very stable, but I don't like the constant tension on the fork, so I'm looking for something else.

    I noticed that 1-Up offers their trays individually.....can these be bolted up to the bed of the truck, kind of like Brian Lopes did in his Sprinter van? If installed against the front of the bed, with the top bar ratcheting toward the tailgate, would this be enough to hold the bike, or would it migrate toward the tailgate? The tailgate being closed would keep it from rolling out the back, but would it then be loose and flopping around?

    Or, should I just look at the Pipeline or Insta-Gater? The thing I like about the 1-up trays is that I can get two trays for less than the other options.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,377
    Check out the MultiTaskR by Exodux. it holds your bikes from inside the steerer tube with a expandable locking collet, so it won't damage your bike or you truck. It also has the ability to carry just about anything else that you would carry in your truck, expanding its versatility. Made from high grade materials, 6061T6 aluminum and stainless steel, no plastic, except for the collets and bolt retainers in the locking knobs where we use Delrin www.exodux.com


    Heads up..... Im the owner/designer of the MultiTaskR and Exodux.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray?  Pipeline?-fullsizeoutput_f75.jpg  

    Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray?  Pipeline?-img_0065.jpg  

    Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray?  Pipeline?-img_2462.jpg  

    Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray?  Pipeline?-img_0062.jpg  

    EXODUX Jeff

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    303
    I love my pace Edwards ultragroove tonneau cover with a Thule rack system. It's secure and keeps your hitch free so you can still tow.

    Highly recommended

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    303
    Instigators work great and can load and unload bike in literally 10 seconds


    Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    122
    The more and more I look at the 1up van trays, and how guys have them mounted in their sprinters.....I don't see why that wouldn't work in the bed of a truck, using the tailgate as the "door?" Insta-Gaiters seem ideal, but they are expensive. The van trays would be less than half the cost.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    303
    My setup

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JustMtnB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    The more and more I look at the 1up van trays, and how guys have them mounted in their sprinters.....I don't see why that wouldn't work in the bed of a truck, using the tailgate as the "door?" Insta-Gaiters seem ideal, but they are expensive. The van trays would be less than half the cost.
    I did not know about the 1up Van Tray until now, and I'm surprised how cheap it is. That said I've previously owned a 1up hitch rack (same design as the van tray) and a Thule Sidearm roof rack (same design as the Instigator). Based on using those two racks, the Instigator to me would be the winner, even at twice the price. The 1up mechanism sucks and gets jammed up easily, and I can't imagine dealing with the little lever against the floor of a truck bed.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    303
    My setup loaded up with bikes on today's ride.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    122
    Great advice everyone! I never thought about the 1up tray's lever against the bed floor. How do the Sprinter guys deal with that. I would love to keep the bikes contained within the bed, but, I am starting to wonder if for the short rides here in my home town (there is a mountain bike club that meets T/Th), it may just be easiest to use a tailgate pad (I've been fighting it!!!). Just for the short rides, literally a few miles. But for long distance rides, I am still wanting to stay in the bed.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    Great advice everyone! I never thought about the 1up tray's lever against the bed floor. How do the Sprinter guys deal with that. I would love to keep the bikes contained within the bed, but, I am starting to wonder if for the short rides here in my home town (there is a mountain bike club that meets T/Th), it may just be easiest to use a tailgate pad (I've been fighting it!!!). Just for the short rides, literally a few miles. But for long distance rides, I am still wanting to stay in the bed.
    I use 3 1up van racks in my van. I was somewhat lazy and just bought an 8' piece of composite deck board, cut it in half, and bolted the racks to both pieces. No issues at all with the lever, but you might have to get in the bed of your truck to reach it.

    Options for Truck Bed - 1up tray?  Pipeline?-img_20180324_181013117_2.jpg

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I use 3 1up van racks in my van. I was somewhat lazy and just bought an 8' piece of composite deck board, cut it in half, and bolted the racks to both pieces. No issues at all with the lever, but you might have to get in the bed of your truck to reach it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180324_181013117_2.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	1195468
    That's exactly what I had in mind.....

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    My setup loaded up with bikes on today's ride.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Is that a Rockymount monorail on your hitch? How does it work with the 3" receiver of the new Ford Super Duty? I only have a 2.5" receiver and wasn't sure if the hitch pin bolt that comes with it would make it through the width if the receiver.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    303
    Ya that's the monorail solo on the hitch. I have a hitch reducer that goes from 3" down to 2.5". Works perfectly fine. I also use an antirattle hitch pin to keep it from moving and rattling.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockracing View Post
    Is that a Rockymount monorail on your hitch? How does it work with the 3" receiver of the new Ford Super Duty? I only have a 2.5" receiver and wasn't sure if the hitch pin bolt that comes with it would make it through the width if the receiver.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    I also use an antirattle hitch pin to keep it from moving and rattling.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Did you use the one that came with the rack? Any issues with it?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    303
    Yes I used the one that came with the rack. Works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by stockracing View Post
    Did you use the one that came with the rack? Any issues with it?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,284
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    I did not know about the 1up Van Tray until now, and I'm surprised how cheap it is. That said I've previously owned a 1up hitch rack (same design as the van tray) and a Thule Sidearm roof rack (same design as the Instigator). Based on using those two racks, the Instigator to me would be the winner, even at twice the price. The 1up mechanism sucks and gets jammed up easily, and I can't imagine dealing with the little lever against the floor of a truck bed.
    I've been looking for a rack for inside my van recently and was considering the 1up roof tray bolted to the floor. Called them to ask a few questions and was turned on to the Van Tray. Looks really nice and I almost ordered two until I realized there isn't anything stopping the bikes from rolling forward and falling over. I called them again and was told I should mount them so the bike is close enough to the doors it can't roll out. That'd work I guess, but that makes the trays just nice folding wheel chocks. They actually recommend using two per bike when not enclosed.

    I think I'm gonna try some Insta-Gators because they will actually hold the bikes in place.

Similar Threads

  1. 1up Quik Rack roof tray...who has one?
    By RL-77 in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2014, 03:12 PM
  3. Truck Bed Rack, No Wheel Removal - Pipeline Best Option?
    By SManZ in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
  4. 1up USA hitch vs their roof tray
    By thatdrewguy in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-26-2012, 05:15 AM
  5. Anyone have a Pipeline truck bed rack?
    By mtbman007 in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2012, 10:20 PM

Members who have read this thread: 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.