options for locking a bike on a hitch rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

options for locking a bike on a hitch rack?

How much length do I need to lock 2 bikes to a tray rack? Is 6ft enough?

Any decent options that arent too expensive? Im just looking for something that will stop a thief with cable cutters in his backpack, not an angle grinder. Pretty much everything on Amazon has bad reviews, especially when it comes to crappy locks no longer opening (which scares me more than the possibility of theft). I tried looking on ebay for just raw chains but dont know what to search for.

mtbr member
    I use a thick steel cable with a normal padlock. It's one of those coated cables from the bike shop, probably a 3/8th cable. 6 foot is enough. I run the cable through the frame and lock onto the receiver.

It'll stop the random crime of opportunity thief. I think that's plenty to run into a store real quick. If someone has good cable cutters, they're getting your bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I use the Master Lock Python locks. I've use the same same 12 foot look for at least 6 years. It looks like hell but works great. I oil the lock every year. It's know about 9.5ft cuz my girlfriend forgot to cinch it down and it dragged at highway speeds for about 100 miles.

They are not the cheapest but they work. The cable is also replaceable. That means you can change lenthgs at any time.

Master Lock - (1) Python Adjustable Cable Lock, 8413KACBL-12
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R5VVTQ..._GueWAb79GEDBJ

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I use a Club keyed cable lock, plus the rack's cable lock. 6' isn't enough for 2 bikes, but you could easily use 2 of them.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    2017 Yeti SB4.5c, stock, except for a Wolf 28T oval chainring

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaldedDogCO View Post
    I use a Club keyed cable lock, plus the rack's cable lock. 6' isn't enough for 2 bikes, but you could easily use 2 of them.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    +1 ... 8-12ft will be required. Remember you have to figure in threading the cable something secure. Either a lock loop on tour rack or the safety chain loop on your hitch.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I hit the hardware store, heavy duty coated cable (raw chain or coated chain is nothing for bolt cutters unless you buy the hex chain specifically designed to make life hell for bolt cutters) and a serious lock meant to require someone that is big to get bolt cutters through. Shrouded pad lock.

Best protection, insurance and dont leave bike on the car for more than a couple minutes. Never trust the area your in, thats where thieves are prepared.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    a cable with a loop need not be locked in a circle. so 6' is plenty. but yes it's easy to cut a cable of almost any thickness; the purpose is to prevent someone from walking off with your bike and saying 'i thought it was mine'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It really depends on how you lock the bikes and the rack. My current Saris has a spot for a cable in the bung (part that goes into the hitch). I thread the cable through the front wheels, the bung frame and the rear triangle/wheel. For my rack it has to be a circle because there is nothing at the end of the rack to secure it to.

I have a 1up coming so that may change things.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    https://allpadlocks.com/collections/security-chains
    8k chain with the cover, whatever length you want and the cover will help prevent ruining the finish on your frames.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

turtles make me hot
    https://www.masterlock.com/personal-...duct/8295DPSCC

I use this for running into the store quickly and the bikes aren't going to be out of my sight for a long period. If I will be longer and cannot see the bikes, I have one of those huge, heavy square link chains and an American padlock.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    ^I suppose it's better than nothing but I'm pretty sure I could cut that with scissors, or a chain breaker...