opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??- Mtbr.com
    Ski during the off-season

New question here. opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??

I have 2006 WRX Wagon with a 1.25" hitch receiver. I am looking for a bike rack that holds the tires (i.e., as opposed to one where the bikes hang from their tubes) and can fold away (or lower) from the car, so that I can open the hatch without removing the bikes.

I was looking at the Softride Versa 2. I want to be able to get into the hatch without taking off the bikes, so the Softride's ability to lower the bikes is a major plus. It looks like it will fold-up nice and compact when not in use. Retail seems to be $300-$330 (a bit pricey).

Another option is the Saris Cycle On Pro 2 -- its a bit more price but looks a little more solid. With it being more solid, it is heavier which may or may not be an issue with my smaller car.

If I did not need the rack to lower, I would seriously consider the Swagman XC 2 Bike Rack Bike Rail, which is going for nearly 1/2 price.

code: mtbr2011
    we carry softride racks...they're a good product, but we haven't reordered the versa this season yet.
    it is small and compact, esp. when not carrying bikes, but loading bikes was a little bit more work than i think it should be, because the wheel trays have to slide in and out to load/unload the bikes, and that mechanism is metal on metal, and it's not very smooth.
    that's just my take on the 2 that we had here in the past.
    i don't know anything about the saris racks, but do know that there are better values in the yakima stickup and thule doubletrack

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    IMO, any of the racks the mount the bikes by the tires and hold them by the tires are superior to any of the racks that suspend the bike by the frame - especially if you will have more than one bike on them. For that, of the two you ask about, I'd go with the Saris.

Here's my favorite - it's pricey but it's the cadillac of bike racks. Modular design so you don't have to mount more rack than you need, light, very fast to mount, works with 1.25 and 2" hitches, and very secure.

http://www.1upusa.com

Another alternative is Raxter Racks.

http://www.raxterracks.com/

J.

Everyone Bleeds!

Cool-blue Rhythm I just bought a Softride Versa last week...

My first thoughts of this rack apparently differ from a few that I've read on the boards. I set this thing up in accordance with the instructions. I read that 29r's didn't sit well with this rack. The photos show that the GF Rig sits pretty well on this rack. As long as the wheel trays are situated so that the wheels "snap" into place, the bikes are pretty steady while on the rack. Also, the rack does pivot down pretty easily for me. I think that it is very important that the wheels sit in in the trays snug, if not there is allot of movement of the bikes. The way I have mine setup, I have very little movement while traveling. I think I'm going to like it allot! Later!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??-img_0005.jpg  

opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??-img_0007.jpg  

opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??-img_0008.jpg  

opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??-img_0009.jpg  

opinions / experience with Softride Versa 2 ??-img_0010.jpg  

Everyday of my life, I'm forced to add another name to the list of people that piss me off!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by journey
    I have 2006 WRX Wagon with a 1.25" hitch receiver. I am looking for a bike rack that holds the tires (i.e., as opposed to one where the bikes hang from their tubes) and can fold away (or lower) from the car, so that I can open the hatch without removing the bikes.

I was looking at the Softride Versa 2. I want to be able to get into the hatch without taking off the bikes, so the Softride's ability to lower the bikes is a major plus. It looks like it will fold-up nice and compact when not in use. Retail seems to be $300-$330 (a bit pricey).

Another option is the Saris Cycle On Pro 2 -- its a bit more price but looks a little more solid. With it being more solid, it is heavier which may or may not be an issue with my smaller car.

If I did not need the rack to lower, I would seriously consider the Swagman XC 2 Bike Rack Bike Rail, which is going for nearly 1/2 price.
    Check out my review of the Kuat Sherpa. I got a Forester (non turbo) so I wanted a light rack that folded away too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Disappointed with Softride Versa

I ended up sending it back. Loved the idea but plastic parts were cracked. Softride sent me replacements but all pivot points and even the tire "hoops" were held by plastic. Too bad. I really liked the idea. Wish they would replace plastic with metal. Ended up with a Thule T2.

Tool
    I couldn't be happier with my Softride Versa.

No rattles, holds bikes securely, and bikes are reasonably close to the vehicle without being either too high or to low.

Do note that I have a 2" receiver and thus didn't need to use the 1.25" adapter. The adapter holds the rack further from the vehicle and higher in the air. HIgher in the air may be a good thing for regular cars (although further from the vehicle just causes more wind drag without any advantages). Crossovers and SUVs do not need the rack higher than the 2" receiver holds it.
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

Members who have read this thread: 0