Opinions on 2008 Subaru STI?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Opinions on 2008 Subaru STI?

The STI is now only available as a hatch. No more sedan with giant wing. Won't be available to purchase in US until early next year. Likely price of around $36K.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    looks way too much like a mazda3
    SDAF

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's what a lot of people say initially. The fender flares really set it apart IMO. Of course so do the interior, engine, suspension, brakes, etc...

mbtr member
    why is it only a hatch????? wrx wagons are perceptibly slower transferring weight from one side to the other than the sedans. I thought that the wrx was supposed to be uncompromised A-B performance. Seems kind of overstyled. I'll take 2
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    May 2004
    From what I've read, the new hatch design actually improves tight cornering on Subaru's rally racing cars compared to the old design because there is less body behind the rear wheel than on the old design. Many rally cars in Europe are hatches, though most are 2 doors.

mtbr member
    I'm sorry I don't like how it looks. I think my age is starting to show and I'm only 27...
    Craig

squish is good
    It's just following the euro rally trend. Notice the cars it's been competing against in WRC, Peugeot 206 and 307's, Ford Focus, Skoda Octavia, Seat Cordoba. The Lancer was the only other 4-door sedan and they dropped out a while ago. I may be mistaken but I thought the STI was going to be available in a 3-door hatch as well. Personally I think they look sick! I'd rather have a WRX though, they are perfect all around cars and can handle dirt roads much better than the STI as is from the factory.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I'd rather have a WRX though, they are perfect all around cars
    I've had two

Here's my current '06 wagon that will likely be traded for an '08 STI when they are available in 4-5 months.

mtbr member
    I like the older ones better. I hate the new one. Ive been wanting to buy one for a couple years.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    why is it only a hatch????? wrx wagons are perceptibly slower transferring weight from one side to the other than the sedans. I thought that the wrx was supposed to be uncompromised A-B performance. Seems kind of overstyled. I'll take 2
    It's not a WRX wagon, it's a WRX Sti hatchback, it's a different car, so your assesment is worthless.

Anyway, I kind of like it. Maybe a better way to explain is that I don't "hate" it. It's got some nice improvements to the drivetrain, much more livable interior and usable rear footroom. Doesn't look that bad with the flared arches.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate the new "wrx", it looks like a jellybean, no distinct lines, no power improvements, more body lean, plastic intake manifold, etc. I'm glad to have a 2004 wagon. Subaru is getting bypassed by the other manufacturers. The least they could have done was up the HP to 250ish, make it more like the WRX STI styling, etc. Subaru may be wanting to "distance" the models, because in the past you could take the WRX and make a few mods and have something fairly on par with an STI. I wish I had all the handling and brakes of an STI, but at 280-300hp I can't complain and I'll be addressing some of the remainnig areas. Perhaps subaru wants to get away from this though, and appeal more to old people or something. The other major dissapointment is that the JDM market gets far better versions, as well as other more rare specs.

The new STI is ok.

The new WRX is a huge let down.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I loved the bugeye WRX, liked the one after that but I'm not sold on the new style. The STi is slightly better but I wouldn't consider buying one.

Either way, I really love my Legacy. Not as quick but I'll take the tradeoff in terms of luxury.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    It's not a WRX wagon, it's a WRX Sti hatchback, it's a different car, so your assesment is worthless.
    Agree.

On the other hand, I absolutely hate the new "wrx", it looks like a jellybean, no distinct lines, no power improvements, more body lean, plastic intake manifold, etc....The new WRX is a huge let down.
    Agree, especially for the sedan. Subaru took a unique looking vehicle and completely stripped it of any identity. I was majorly disappointed when I first saw it.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I had an '05 STI and quite liked it but I always wished for the wagon version. I'm totally diggin' that they're bringing it back.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I like it a lot better than any WRX sedan that's ever been released, however at $36K I don't know if I'd buy a Subaru. In my mind Subarus are cheap, reliable, fun knockaround cars. I'd likely lean towards the BMW 335xi starting at $40K. Actually I'd probably look for a used 911 since I already have a WRX as a daily driver.

mtbr member
    I permanently ripped out the backseat in my 04' sti to haul bikes and stuff. I love everything about the 08' model. I'll buy one in 2010 or so when I can get a good condition used one.

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial
    I permanently ripped out the backseat in my 04' sti to haul bikes and stuff. I love everything about the 08' model. I'll buy one in 2010 or so when I can get a good condition used one.
    lol no such things as a good condition used sti my friend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08
    lol no such things as a good condition used sti my friend
    Oh they certainly exist. Granted the cars were made to take a beating, but a majority of the owners will never go past exhaust & reflash. Since they are not cheap, kids that would ghetto mod it can't access it.

Bought my 04' in 2006 with 13,000 miles with an exhaust & wheels for mods. Absolutely mint! $24,500... Never buying new again.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oh they certainly exist. Granted the cars were made to take a beating, but a majority of the owners will never go past exhaust & reflash. Since they are not cheap, kids that would ghetto mod it can't access it.

Bought my 04' in 2006 with 13,000 miles with an exhaust & wheels for mods. Absolutely mint! $24,500... Never buying new again.
    Yeah, but even if they only did exaust and reflash, they may be reving up to 7000rpm all the friggin time like me. Plenty of people have blown stock motors, although it may not be as likely without many mods, it's still more than possible and it does happen. If someone has driven it crazy, then it may not be a good idea. A good rule of thumb though is to figure that in to the possible cost. If you're going to mod the engine, you should have enough $$ to replace the engine.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

squish is good
    My dad has an '05 WRX and he drives that thing like a grandma! I was shocked to find out he bought one at first, but he treats it like it's a Camry. I would love to buy it off him, but he's taken such good care of it I don't think I could afford it even at resale value! The babied scooby's are out there, they're just tough to find (or in my case right under my nose).

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Yeah, but even if they only did exaust and reflash, they may be reving up to 7000rpm all the friggin time like me. Plenty of people have blown stock motors, although it may not be as likely without many mods, it's still more than possible and it does happen. If someone has driven it crazy, then it may not be a good idea. A good rule of thumb though is to figure that in to the possible cost. If you're going to mod the engine, you should have enough $$ to replace the engine.
    +1. just cause is isnt hooked up doesnt mean that it is in good condition. either way, even with only an exhaust and ecu tune, your now throwin down way over 300 hp and tq, and idk about you, but a 12 sec daily driver is probably going to take quite a beatin. my dad has an 06 sti, all stock, car looks super clean in and out but i wouldnt buy it off him for a grand. that thing has had the freakin crap kicked out of it. subarus are great cars and can handle the beatings fairly well, but any car with that much power will generally wear faster. btw, i just got an 08 impreza non turbo and the car is awesome. not the fasting thin on the road but quick enough and you dont have to deal with all the hassles that come around with a turbo. either way, i say buy the sti new

Muskoka
    I like the new STI, and I also like the new WRX Hatch, as well as the 02-07 style wagon. But I am a wagon/hatch kinda guy, I have the '02 Bugeye wagon. They just suit an active life style much better and I like the look. However people make way too much of "styling". Whatever's cool today will be old & uncool soon, so get over it. Most people don't buy Subie's for the looks anyway, its more about their unseen qualities of engineering, performance, durability, reliability,etc that sells them.

mtbr member
    These cars were not made to be driven like Buicks. With the STI especially, you can spin out every single gear and clutch dump everyday if that makes you happy. You need to let the car warm up and it's all fair game. Granted alot of people may not do this but that is a problem with every vehicle not just STI specific.

The real abuse comes from the track. I don't mean drag strip either. Actual track racing. You can always tell if a STI has been tracked just by looking at the brakes usually. I'd say less than 5% of the STIs produced have seen a race track or a rally course. That really causes pre-mature wear on a motor. There are people that track their cars and daily drive them too. The little street escapades that 95% of us do for fun is nothing compared to what a tracked sti faces.

Nat
    mtbr member
    These cars were not made to be driven like Buicks. With the STI especially, you can spin out every single gear and clutch dump everyday if that makes you happy. You need to let the car warm up and it's all fair game. Granted alot of people may not do this but that is a problem with every vehicle not just STI specific.

The real abuse comes from the track. I don't mean drag strip either. Actual track racing. You can always tell if a STI has been tracked just by looking at the brakes usually. I'd say less than 5% of the STIs produced have seen a race track or a rally course. That really causes pre-mature wear on a motor. There are people that track their cars and daily drive them too. The little street escapades that 95% of us do for fun is nothing compared to what a tracked sti faces.
    What do the brakes always usually reveal? Excess wear?

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    i think what he is tryin to say is that the rotors will get warped. you can warp rotors on anything just driving around town. i dont think the track will really show any different brake wear besides the pads wearin quicker

mtbr member
    The paint on the STI brembo calipers will turn flat and run and the red "Brembo" sticker turns black. Usually tracked STis have perfect brake rotors because most people swap stock rotors for 2 piece and then swap back to sell. It's pretty expensive to get new calipers or get them re-painted just right.

user-created
    If it can beat the Citroens and Fords then I like it just fine.

Elitest thrill junkie
    These cars were not made to be driven like Buicks. With the STI especially, you can spin out every single gear and clutch dump everyday
    No, you're on crack if you think you can do 5.5K clutch drops all day long.

Do you have an STI or WRX?

BTW, they don't really "spin out".

mtbr member
    No, you're on crack if you think you can do 5.5K clutch drops all day long.

Do you have an STI or WRX?

BTW, they don't really "spin out".
    Had a 98 wrx, 02 wrx and 04 sti. A few lower end skylines and silvias too.

No car can do clutch drops "all day". You'll break the transmission, ruin your tires or burn up your clutch. The STI does come with beefy diffs and a very beefy tranny. Combine that with high tire pressure and a little clutch burnage and you can do clutch drops without breaking anything... Once in a while? Definately. Twice in one day? Sure. 10 times in one day? Probably. 10 times back to back everytime you drive the car? Nope and no car can take this kind of abuse for long without breaking something(if nothing else, tires).

Yes AWD, they don't really spin out, when did I ever say otherwise? They do burn up the clutch instead. On a good launch you will spin out a little anyway. If you think that's impossible on a stock sti, well you don't know how to launch right and you don't know how to setup your car for drag racing.

All I'm saying is, a large portion of the STIs out there are just driven by normal people that do normal mods(no turbos, meth, nitrous, etc) and do a normal amount of "fun" driving. These cars were made for exactly that. Most STI owners I know don't go around clutch dumping all day and winding up to 7k at every chance they're given. Most of them care about their car and drive hard at times for fun. Don't think every single STI owner is a member of Nasioc/i-club and drags/rallys/tracks their car 24/7.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I want one. I must have one. My dealer must call me back so that he can take my money. Why isn't the phone ringing. Must keep picking it up to make sure it is working. What if he calls while I am checking the phone. Might think I don't want it. Should have given him my cell phone number, my parents number, my friend from Utah's number. I must have one.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    It looks like they went a little overboard with the fender flairs but I still like it. Definitely more than good enough in the appearance dept. as far as I'm concerned. The previous hatch and STI looked too much like Sub didn't care about appearance. The old STI looked especially silly to me. This looks like a lot of fun for $36k.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Wanderer
    I like the way this new one looks, I never did care much for the bug-eyed look.

I love hatchbacks btw so I'm sure that influences me.

I'll look for a well cared for used one also after they have been out a while.

mtbr member
    Not that i'm planning on buying one anytime soon, but if i can ditch my forester for one of these in 2-3 years i'd be happy. Glad its a hatch...easier bike transport.

Members who have read this thread: 0