OEM rack vs aftermarket- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

OEM rack vs aftermarket

Just traded in my '10 Silverado for an '11 Equinox SUV. It has the factory roof rails, but no cross bars. It would be cheaper to buy the OEM GM cross bars and then go with either Thule or Yak racks that mount directly to those bars.

Conversely, I could go with Thule/Yak feet and bars that mount to the factory rails. Little more expensive option.

Thoughts or direct experience?

I have to assume the aftermarket stuff will be more secure, which is important to me.

Will either the Thule or Yak fairing mount to the factory cross bars in anyone's experience? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't just think of this car. Will your next one have side rails that you can use the Yak/Thule rack on? If so, you just paid for that setup. I don't like factory crossbars because they are so specific for the mounts. With a Yakima setup I can carry bikes on my Subaru, my wife's Pilot, and even my pop-up camper.

I vote for the versatility of a good aftermarket setup over a slight cost savings up front.

code: mtbr2011
    thule has no fit for these rails, yakima railgrab is your best bet. go with a 58" crossbar, and you can get a great package price that is comparable to the factory bars.
    this is a tough car to fit, for sure...but if you're carrying bikes, the oem crossbars are just average compared to the strength you'll get from the yakima bars.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    C/R: Thule's site shows the Crossroads setup working on my rig with the factory rails.

Also, Yak's site shows the Railgrab, but that I should be running 48-inch bars.

Thoughts?

Does either fairing attach to factory crossbars to your knowledge?

Why is it a tough car to fit? Just curious as there seems to be several options. Thanks.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    And after getting a quote from the dealership on OEM bars, I'll be buying aftermarket.

code: mtbr2011
    the reason it's tough to fit with thule 450 crossroads is because the endcaps on the siderails are so big, that it leaves little room for the crossroads. this is true if the '11 looks like the '10 and '09.
    yakima uses the channel that runs along the inside to secure, giving you more versatility where you want to attach the crossbars.
    fairing depends on the sunroof...imo, attaching the fairing so that it lays on the sunroof is less than ideal.

the 58" bar, when bought in the package is cheaper...you can cut it down, leave it long, or pay a little extra and get 48" bars.