OE roof racks- Mtbr.com

Thread: OE roof racks

mtbr member

OE roof racks

I bought a ford Explorer (92) which has the OE roof rack rails, it states it can handle 100lbs.
    Is it safe to simply buy the tracks and attach to the rails?
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

That's right....
    its perfectly safe to buy the oem feet and crossbars that are meant to go in the tracks... is that what you mean?
    you didnt word your question too well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    its perfectly safe to buy the oem feet and crossbars that are meant to go in the tracks... is that what you mean?
    you didnt word your question too well.
    Ok.
    I have the actually rack part that goes from one side of the truck to the other, basically what you get when you buy it from the dealer. It does slide in a track.
    what I am asking, is if it is ok to buy a , for instance Yakima rail being the rail runs from front to the back of the truck, attached to the existing roof rack? The existing roof rack states it can hold 100lbs of weight. I'm just curious to know if anyone does this? it would certainly cut cost as far as buying a different rack all together

That's right....
    id be more than happy to help you. ive sold and installed yakima and thule racks for nearly 7 years along with the riveted "plus-nut" yakima rails that bolt to the roof or fiberglass pickup covers.
    unfortunately, im having a real hard time understanding what you talking about. im sorry if im being a dick, but i cant read or understand anything you wrote.

basically what i got was this:
    you currently own the FORD oem crossbars with the attached feet that run from the left to right on the roof of the truck.

you CANNOT attach the crossbars (mentioned above) to the Yakima tracks (plus-nut) that you bolt to the roof.

If the roof of your Explorer is completely bare - similar to a sedan, with NO rack, tracks, or rails then you have 3 options:
    1) Purchase the Yakima plus-nut tracks with the Yakima ControlTower feet and Yakima crossbars
    2) Purchase the FORD tracks and install the Crossbars/Feet you already have (this is the worst option - its the weakest, least versatile, and will cost the most)
    3) Purchase Yakima's Q-Tower and crossbar rack setup (designed primarily for sedans with bare roofs)

If your Explorer has the tracks that run the length (front to back) of the roof you have 2 options:
    1) simply install the FORD oem crossbars/feet that you currently own.
    2) Purchase and install Yakima's ControlTower setup with Yakima crossbars.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    My second truck was a 92 Exploder, AND I had a yakima rack on it. I have the towers to mount in the factory roof tracks. It worked great. I could mount both bike trays and my button down six to hold my snowboards. I still have everything in my shed, to bad you don't live closer, you could have it all for $100. US. If you're interested shoot me a PM with your e-mail.

Later
    Mark

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I use my oe roof racks on my Mazda Protege 5 to hold my bike trays. I use the Rocky Mounts noose. It is designed for oem roof racks. Yakima and Thule have some too but Rocky Mounts is quite a bit cheaper. Here is a link.

http://www.rockymounts.com/noose.html

Hope that helps

Josh

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I still have the foot kit from Thule that I used on my '94 Explorer. Its in great condition. PM if you want to make me an offer. You'll have to buy the rails though.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.

www.mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Rocky Mounts here in Colorado makes a really nice bike roof rack rail system that attaches easily to factory cross bars. I have them on my 05 Explorer and they are super easy to attach to a factory system and hold super tight. Check them out, they are great and really inexpensive compared to the bigger guys but just as good if not better quality wise.

www.rockymounts.com

Members who have read this thread: 0